iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bike Trip 08'

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, May 30, 2008, 01:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

8) 8) I have been getting ready for our bike trip this year. It's defiantly a year that a bike is a good way to take a driving vacation.

It's hard to believe my bike is 5 years old now. Seems like last year I was kicking stones in the parking lot of Ocala HD trying to decide if I should trade in my 78' Super Glide and buy the Road King. Man I sure made the right decision that time.

I did an oil change Wednesday evening and last night I put new brakes and disks on the front. My front brakes had been feeling mushy and one of the disks was beginning to warp. I could feel a Bump bump bump as I slowed down. They feel great now, like new.

There was a package by the garage door when I got home, my GPS handlebar mount had come in.I have purchased a power point, used to be known as a cigarette lighter, to mount somewhere on the bike to power it. Using a GPS is certainly going to make for a different trip this year. I am still bringing my Harley issue map book but Im betting it's not going to see much use.

This year we are heading straight out route 70 for Colorado, link up with some friends there and run up into Wyoming and spend a couple of days in Yellowstone National Park. After that we are going to let the weather choose our path.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

2 years ago I went on much the same trip from florida, 5 weeks 6 thousand miles, ended up buying 69 acres in tenn on my way back 8)

Assuming you have a twin cam road king watch your miles cause at around 30k you will need timing chain tensoniers as the plastic wears out. When you start hearing the birds  chirp in your motor get them done before you have major lower end trouble.

I just switched to gear to gear timing as a permanat fix.

Good luck, ride safe enjoy!

Wish I was going too........................
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks Bill, I'm going to turn 30k on this trip!

JOn

scsmith42

Hey Jon - have a great trip!

I'm in the process of swapping out the engine in my '96 Softail.  Long story, but the oil pump went out on my way to Daytona last year, and I lost a cylinder.  A S&S 107 is slated to replace the original Evo.

After that, some buddies and I are planning to hit Oshkosh, Sturgis, and Phoenix on a 5 week trip.  We're wimping out though and taking toy haulers instead of riding all the way.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Handy Andy

When you come through Kansas on I 70, you'll pass by about 10 miles from my house.  Have a great trip!  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Raider Bill

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 30, 2008, 10:55:40 PM

We're wimping out though and taking toy haulers instead of riding all the way.

Scott

Say it ain't so! :D

logwalker

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 30, 2008, 10:55:40 PM
After that, some buddies and I are planning to hit Oshkosh, Sturgis, and Phoenix on a 5 week trip.  We're wimping out though and taking toy haulers instead of riding all the way.
Scott

Real Men Ride their Iron. :D :D
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Raider Bill

I have a t-shirt that says "I rode my bike to Daytona Trailer week" ;D :D

scsmith42

Alright now, let's not be hasty here...

I've RIDDEN to - and from - Sturgis before...

AND....

Last year I left Raleigh on the bike in the morning, and slept in Key West that night.  Right at 1000 miles...

So even though I'm wimping out this year, it ain't like I haven't paid my dues!  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ibbob

Jon,
The lighter plug-ins can be a pain between vibration and corrosion.  I  like to hard wire the GPS to an always on circut or straight to the battery.  Nice to work the unit w/the bike off and let it keep track of time.   The fraction of an amp fuses are a weak link too.  I bumped up to a couple amp and carry spares.
Ride Safe!!
Bob

Raider Bill

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 01, 2008, 12:16:15 AM
Alright now, let's not be hasty here...

I've RIDDEN to - and from - Sturgis before...

AND....

Last year I left Raleigh on the bike in the morning, and slept in Key West that night.  Right at 1000 miles...

So even though I'm wimping out this year, it ain't like I haven't paid my dues!  :D

Almost sounds like one of those "when I was younger storys"............. ;D :)  It's pick on Scott day I called it ;D

Another thing to watch out for is corrosion under your fuel gauge. water gets behind it. Pop it out and spray with wd-40.

MApped my new cams Saturday, rode 200 miles yesterday to nowhere, ran strong, real srong even with a blonde on the back. 8)

Norm

My son was giving me a hard time because I can't ride his crotch rocket any more. My legs just don't have the flexibility they used to and they cramp up on me if I ride his bike for any amount of time.

Good news is I can ride his harley without discomfort. Kind of like riding a rocking chair. ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

We skipped a long trip last year, just went to Ocean City Bike week. It was ok but I wish we would have gone to Key West as planned. Thanks for all your well wishes. 3 weeks and counting.

Jon

Raider Bill

Consider some of the smaller/upper keys as your destination? Not as commercial, no rainbow flags, cheaper, more relaxing. You can take day trips to key west from there.

Weekend_Sawyer

I spent a week on Islamorada in the early 90's. Had a real nice time, we drove down to key west and did a 2 tank dive and a bunch of touresty stuff, had a cheeseburger in paradise and toured Hemingway's house and bought tee shirts.

WAY too many cats at Hemingway's.

Jon

moosehunter

I think weekend_sawyer starts this post every year just to make me feel bad about not having a bike anymore :'(
Oh well, in a few years and after the house is built I'll get a new one, then maybe he'll let me tag along on on of these trips.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Weekend_Sawyer

Raider Bill

Cat's, and chickens run wild all over Key west.

johncinquo

I have 3 trips planned this year.  Looping Michigan all along the coast line roads.  Should be fun, stopping to see a few people and taking in the sights.  A trip out to central New York.  A great group of folks I meet up with every few years.  Beautiful countryside and lots of farms and woods.  Just different enough from MI to make it interesting.  Then a trip down to North GA and Deals Gap area late in the fall.  Excellent twisties and mountains to get lost in.  I'll probably do about 15,000 miles between the two bikes. 

I have a Valkyrie.  Like riding a couch around.  The flat 6 cylinder is so much fun and I get lots of laughs and looks with the "6 pack" pipes out the back.  As big as it is, I can still drag some parts around corners on occasion.    For sport riding I have a ZRX.  Sits upright, looks kinda retro, no plastic.  No leg cramping and just a total joy to ride.  I am on my second one.    The only thing I would trade either for would be a ZZR or a Concourse 1400.  Either would make an excellent Sport Tourer and I could see doing some "Iron Butt" rides on. 

Definetly go with a hard wire arrangement for the GPS.  The cigarette lighters just add another place water can get in to and leave you shorted out somewhere lost in the rain.  I have the RAM mounts.  I have a ball mounted on each bike, then I can swap the bracket and unit out to the other bike or the truck with a simple twist of the adapter. 

I have a checklist around here for packing up for long touring.  Its kinda helpful to remember stuff.  A few of my favorite items to remember are zip ties, several 6-10' lenghths of rope (excellent clothes lines for drying gear or airing out your stuff at the end of the day) and some disposable cameras.  When you climb up onto some lookout mountain, you remember you left the $600 camera in the bags on the bike. 

You have a great ride and watch out for the vacationers. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Raider Bill

John,

I'm building a house about a hour away from the dragon. something to remember when you get over that way.
Where do you go in CNY? That's where I grew up. Beautiful counrty till it snows...........

Weekend_Sawyer

We set out last saturday. Spent the first night at my cousin's house in west Ohio, Averaged 400 miles a day and wound up at my buddy Jim's last night. He is going to ride with us to Breckenridge, Co and we will spend a day there touring around.
The bike is running great and Our butts are doing, well ok.

OH yea, the GPS is a Great tool. finding places to stay, eat or where is the next or nearest fuel.

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

We are now in Estes park, Co. Right down the road is the Stanley Hotel where "The Shining" was filmed. He invented the Stanley Steamer and there is one in the lobby.

Yesterday we rode from Jim's, around Colorado springs, through Lead ville where Doc Holiday shot his last man, through the town of South Park, yup that South Park and wound up in Breckenridge.

Today we rode through the Rocky Mountain State park, across the Continental divide and down to Estes. We saw herds of Elk, Big Horn sheep and Moose. No bears and I am not disappointed. 2 Elk were right next to the road and they jumped as the bike went by, looked like they were going to jump across right in front of us but they thought better of it.

sawguy21

Whaaat ??? No pictures? ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Weekend_Sawyer

Ya, lots of pictures but they are in the camera. gotta get them out and sized when I get home.

We went through Yellowstone park on sunday, crouded but interesting, today we came across Montana and tomorrow we will run across North Dakota, It's getting hot, 100 degrees today. Bike is running great!

Jon

moosehunter

And here I am at work :(

At least I can read this thread 4 times a day :D

suffering at home,
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Weekend_Sawyer

I feel for you MH,

came across North Dakoda today on I 94 got real close to a buffalo (bison) at a rest stop. did have a split rail fence between me and it but I bet that would not stop it!!!

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

Stopped in Iron River Michigan last night. As we crossed the Michigan state line into the UP, a  black bear ran across the road infront of us, he was a small one, about 150 - 175 lbs. It's good to be back in forested areas after the wide open of out west. We plan on riding between lakes Superior and Michigan, crossing the Mackanaw bridge to the lower peninsula.

Today is day 12 on the bike, we have traveled over 3,500 miles. We are definatley tired but still enjoying the trip.

Jon

chet

Ya stopped  in Iron River and didn't give a holler.  :(  :( 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

He forgot you were der Chet.  I reminded him today as we got a wirl wind visit from the dynamic duo. Man, its been a long time since we got to See Jon and Celest so it sure was great to visit even for a short time. They are back on the road now and should be crossing the Mackinaw Bridge right at sunset and it should be a good one tonight.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

I hope they didn't take the off ramp to Florida on the other side of the road leaving the cottage.  :D

logwalker

That is a cool shot of them on the bike. What a great way to travel the country. Thanks for the pics Jeff. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Raider Bill

That's my 03's twin sister! 8)

Weekend_Sawyer

Well, we are home, what a trip! It was a lot of fun visiting with Jeff, Tammy and of course Ice, what a dog. We got to see the new property and the infamous tree stand. B/S'd for a while and ate some Jerky.

We crossed the Macanaw bridge just at dark with a red glow over our right shoulders. Stopped in Gaylord for the night. Rode to western Ohio and stayed with our cousins again. Saturday we made it to Western WV, and Sunday we took 50 across WV, what a great ride through the mountains. Got home sunday evening logging over 5,500 miles and riding
through 16 states for 16 days.

I am not as beat up as I thought I would be but we are definalty moving slow.

Jon

Roxie

Well I'm glad yer back!   8)  If ya feel up to it, Cecil County Fair's Antique Tractor Pull is July 18th & 19th, and then the Rodeo on the 20th and 21st.  We'll be there!  Perhaps Cowboy Bob will do some more tricks on his Case-o-matic this year.   :D

Will you be posting some pictures of your journey?  Love to see em! 
Say when

submarinesailor

Jon,

Before I68 was completed from Hancock, MD to Morgantown, WV, we used to drive the old route 50 to get over to Fairmount.  A couple of those turns are something else.  Bet they were fun on the bike.  Did or have you ever stopped at Cool Springs???  I remember when they had some very large golden trout in some ponds.  I heard they someone went in there at night and took them out.

Anyways, in my opinion, it's a great drive/ride.

Bruce

Weekend_Sawyer

Yup, we stopped at cold springs. LOTS of old tractors, the inside is full of hardware, gifts, hunting stuff and the middle is a diner. Really cool place to stop, pun intended.

A couple of the fish are still there, I wondered why they had enclosed the ponds with fencing.

Roxie, when will CBB be riding his trick tractor? I'd like to see that!

Jon

SamB

There's an event coming up July 24-27 ,for you bikers, called Mountainfest. If you want to check it out goto "wvmountainfest.com". I had to choose between a sawmill or  a motorcycle for my retirement present :-\

Raider Bill

What kind of bike did you get? ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

SamB

Due to my conservative roots  :-[ I chose the sawmill and a Schwinn ;D

Thank You Sponsors!