iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gardens anybody picking anything

Started by bull, May 27, 2008, 06:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Ruhbarb is ready, I have baby spinach and radishes, hope to have lettucce for Friday.

Peas are about 10 inches high, we are finally having 55-60 degrees overnight temps, here we go.....

Early Zucchinni and Summer Squash heading for 6 leaves and flower buds, I have 100 tomatoe plants and 50 pepper plants transplanted, slight wind burn on the tomatoes but a whole lot of new growth that is dark green..

Three small patches of corn in 40-50 dozen hopefully in each for early corn, first patch is pushing 3 inches...

Will be planting cuccumbers and more corn today, Yesterday the wife and I planted 100 hills of Howden Pumpkins, Thats just the start....  I have two acres for pumpkins and winter squash...

Our farmers Market opens friday 5/30 and will have the farm stand ready for Sunday 6/1

Tom Sawyer

So,what do you do in your spare time??? :D :D  We will be another week or so before the first lettuce and spinach is ready.  Planted corn and potatoes yesterday and I want to plant beans this week and get the tomatoes out.  Can't wait for the first tomato sandwich! 8)

Roxie

We're getting lettuce, parsely, basil, chives, radishes, and scallions.   :)

We also planted pole beans, green peppers, butternut squash, and tomato's.  The tomato plants already have six greeen tomato's that are a pretty good size.  It won't be long now.

Say when

zopi

nothing coming off here yet...but then I didn't plant any greens..everything is coming along nicely..had a few potatoes that didn't come, but i think maybe i was splitting the seed taters
a bit too close, so  I probably got more than i would have otherwise...

Planted a couple of varieties of giant pumpkins this year...never grew the bigguns before..oughta be neat.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Roxie

Zopi, I planted some Atlantic Giant Pumpkins too.  Last year was my first attempt, and we got one pumpkin up to 450 pounds, and then had 2 weeks of rain, and it got a fungus.  Watching Cowboy Bob cut it up with the chainsaw was more fun than growing it!   :D

I got the giant pumpkin seeds from a co-worker that won 2nd place in the state in 2006 with a 875 pumpkin.  Good luck with your patch!  Keep us posted! 
Say when

Jeff

I've got to go into protection mode on mine. I just put plants out and now the weather for tonight is calling for it to be in the mid 20s for several hours. :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

I have been picking things from the garden for two years now - you mean I am supposed to stop?

The rains have started, so we are planting the large garden  now, but my aguaponics system is running pretty well all the time.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

zopi

Quote from: Roxie on May 27, 2008, 08:34:41 AM
Zopi, I planted some Atlantic Giant Pumpkins too.  Last year was my first attempt, and we got one pumpkin up to 450 pounds, and then had 2 weeks of rain, and it got a fungus.  Watching Cowboy Bob cut it up with the chainsaw was more fun than growing it!   :D

I got the giant pumpkin seeds from a co-worker that won 2nd place in the state in 2006 with a 875 pumpkin.  Good luck with your patch!  Keep us posted! 

WOW! I put in a couple of hills of them...they are coming along nicely...we had a couple of pumpkins that rotted down in the back yard last year...they are blowing up sprouts all over...I figure i'll leave them there and won't have to mow that patch..lol

My wife commented that i'd have to use a back hoe to get them on the truck to o to the fair..
I guess we're going to enter one...heck I was just holding out for the biggest Jack-O-Lantern!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tom

crtreedude,
I sure would like to  hear of and see some picture of your aquaponics.  What made you decide to try that?

Fla._Deadheader

We are replanting most stuff. The dry weather got ahead of us, and the garden turned into a weed patch.

Gotta teach the Bride how to compost. Them City girls are just wasting good compost fuel, down the drain.  ::) ;D ;D ;D

We got 3 trees FULL of Papaya. Some weigh close to 10 pounds, I would bet.

If I could find a food mill, I would have squash and Punkins, to make pies with. Uum, UUUMMMMM.  ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Quote from: Tom on May 27, 2008, 01:26:43 PM
crtreedude,
I sure would like to  hear of and see some picture of your aquaponics.  What made you decide to try that?

I went the aquaponics line to get a handle on tomatoes. There are lots of nematodes here and so growing tomatoes is hard, they tend to get to starting read, then die. But my tomatoes in aquaponics are doing fantastic, as so are my tilapia. I have some tilapia that have to be 3 to 4 lbs, and started off less than one.

Growth rate is fantastic in aquaponics if you get it going right.

I'll try to get some photos for you. Right now I have basil, tomatoes, cukes harvesting, with beets, cantelope on the way. I am going to try celery and brocoli and strawberries.

Fla._Deadheader

We have jillions of Cherry Tomatoes. The big ones do just like Fred said. DID get 2 about ½ size, before the plant died.  What's the treatment for Nematodes ???  I have other things that act the same way ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Patty

We have only been able to pick rhubarb so far this spring. It has been so cold and rainy that the ground is too cold yet for most seeds to sprout and come up. Norm has herbs and greens in raised beds up by the house, and it looks like we will be eating spinach & lettuce by next week. The wind and cold have really put a hurt on the tomato and pepper plants. I hope they can survive, if not, we have some seeds sprouting indoors as a back up plan.

Where is that global warming when we need it!  ::)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Dave Shepard

The onions are up, as are the beets and radishes. Don't think we will be picking anything any time soon.

Howden's Farm is about ten minutes from here. I think Bruce may have gone to school with my parents, right age anyway. I did a few cutting of nice alfalfa there for a farmer near there last year. First wood chuck holes I'd seen in ten years. All top soil, so you just mow them off, going too fast to raise up anyway. Just makes the tractor grunt a little. :D :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pasbuild

I'm waiting for the frost to leave the ground completely before I think about gardening.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

I just came in from putting stakes in and around mine and putting the pool cover over it. The pool may freeze now.  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Crazy weather this spring...  the Mrs was worried about her few plants outside.  It got down to 33 a couple of nights ago and was 37 this morning.

Fla._Deadheader

I did whack down a Nanner tree, and had the first ripe ones an hour ago.  :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

you're going to kill them off Harold! (of course I have papaya, bananas, plantains, cashews, macadamias, beets, carrots, okra, starting black eyed peas.

By the way, black eyed peas and okra are just about fool proof, nothing bothers them.

And in about another month I will have so many mangos we will be able to fill a truck, literally.

Fla._Deadheader

Our Mango and 3 Avacados don't make fruit ??? I fertilized and later on, I'm gonna kill 'em or cure 'em, by heavy pruning.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

zopi

Tried punching a little shallow well out behind my garden earlier...dug to the limit of the backhoe, punched a pilot hole with the hand auger, and started driving...got three feet in or so and the sand point broke....cheap junk.

gotta find a better solution....the backhoe did hit the water table though...had about a foot of water in it...we pulled up a few buckets full and watered anyway...

my beet didn't do worth a hoot..very few came up...weird too...beets will usually hit you in the eye if you don't step back...

I need to scare up about eight more Roma tomato plants....I want to make enough sauce this year to last the year...we eat ALOT of pasta. Heck, my second generation Italian mother in law
can't seem to find bolognese sauce that she likes better than mine...lol

Whilst we were up in Oh last weekend I picked up an Amish cookbook on preserving and cooking produce...neat recipes in there.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Corley5

We haven't planted anything yet.  I usually plant the punkins over Memorial Day Weekend but it's been cold and is supposed to chilly all week so I'm gonna plant next weekend.  We haven't had any woodchucks/groundhogs in these parts in probably 15 years.  Used to be lots of them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

limbrat

The greens have finished, im picking cucumbers ,okra,straight neck squash and peppers. The melons are starting to run good and i have little water melons, honey dews and canary melons. Need to plant more cucumbers, cut some slips off the sweet potatoe seed bed and im rooting them in water and worm tea. About a hundred days i will have good sweet potatoes again. After this first batch of tomatoes make i will plant somemore in september its just to hot in July and August for them to do well.
ben

WDH

My garden is doing very well.  I will pick squash tomorrow.  The green beans will be ready in about two weeks.  Tomatoes are looking very good.  I can't wait!

I would like to see some garden pics, please :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

little Bark

I have lots of things poking thru the ground.  We try to plant diffrent stuff every year.  Did not put out any early veggies this year.  We have a nice strawberry patch that we redid this year so no berries this year.  I still have a row of corn to plant and sweet potatos to get in the ground.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

Thank You Sponsors!