iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help IDing

Started by tyb525, May 25, 2008, 11:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I cut this wood about 3 weeks ago, it was dead standing. I can't tell what kind of wood it is. I thought it was red elm, but I'm not sure.

If someone could I.D. it I would appreciate it.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

HOOF-ER

My guess would be slippery elm , again.  :D  Iv'e got a few logs that were extremely dark and thought I would experiment and cut some.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Dodgy Loner

It looks like slippery (red) elm, but it would be hard to reach any conclusions without larger photos.  A closeup of the endgrain would be particularly helpful.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

If you look closely at the growth ring, the latewood pores should be arranged in really conspicuous wavy bands if it is an elm.  You might have to use a razor blade to get a clean enough slice. 

Try to split a piece :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

I split several logs...Very stringy, hard to split  ::)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dodgy Loner

Yup, sounds like you got yourself an elm ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

tyb525

Thanks for the help guys.

Ron Scott

Need help with these. A client sent these two (2)  tree photos to me to ID. He took the photos in Southeastern Pensylvania, Berks County. The second photo was taken of a tree on the banks of Blue Marsh Lake. Maybe someone from PA is familiar with them or some of you can give me a more positive ID. I'm not too sure from the photos.
  ~Thanks

Tree #1

Tree#2
~Ron

Gary_C

Ron, that second tree looks like an open grown aspen or poplar. I've seen enough of those gnarly branches on the tops of aspen trees, but never with a trunk so short. I can't understand why there are no leaves on that tree with the other trees in full summer dress unless it's dead.

The first picture could be some cottonwood trees but that's just a wild guess as they are too far away to tell for sure. They are nicely shaped by the wind and are plenty tall which again could say cottonwood.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

I was going to suggest that the second picture might be Sycamore.  The blotches in the crown might be leaves that wouldn't fall, but they also might be the Sycamore balls.  The trunk looks awful smooth and seems to have flaking areas of bark.  Yep, I was guessing Sycamore.

I don't know about the first picture.  :)

Dodgy Loner

I'm on Tom's side with this one.  Sycamore for the second, no clue about the first.

OneWithWood

That makes three for Sycamore in the second pic.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

The row of trees looks like American elm to me. We get elm that grow those small bushy branches down on the trunk sometimes. Also the drooping limbs on that one out by itself are typical. Black cherry is also possible, I have a whole bunch of cherry yard trees that look like the lot of those. Box elder comes to mind as well for the ones up to the left of the solitary tree. The second one looks like sycamore to me because of the form and the bark color.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!