iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rhubarb

Started by breederman, May 24, 2008, 07:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breederman

Just cooked up some sauce and had it on my pancakes. :)  Life is good.
Together we got this !

Patty

I picked a bunch for my mom yesterday, she had a hankering for rhubarb pie. Today it is my turn. I hope to make a rhubarb cake. digin1

I love rhubarb!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

sawguy21

My mother used to make rhubarb and raspberry pie. Now that was some good eatin'. Tastes good with strawberries too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patty

Here is the Rhubarb Cake Recipe we use.

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup finely chopped rhubarb
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt

Mix all together and preheat oven to 350° F.

Topping

1/2 cup sugar & 1/4  tsp cinnamon sprinkled on top before baking.

Bake @ 350° in 9x13 pan for about 30 minutes.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

SwampDonkey

I have rhubarb here to, but the neighbors have about a 1/4 acre worth.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Now, I have heard a lot about rhubarb, especially on this Forum, but I have never had the opportunity to  experience it first hand.  So here is a request from a rhubarb deprived Southerner...........can someone who is attending the upcoming Pig Roast make a rhubarb "something or the other" so that I might experience all the wonders of rhubarb firsthand? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don_Papenburg

We have had rhubarb pie for weeks now .  My wife makes it just the way I like it without a lot of sugar. She dumps a bunch of sugar on her slice  ;D 
I like rhubarb sause on pancakes , apple sause is good too.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Patty

WDH, I can send you some rhubarb if you'd like. I am not sure how a rhubarb pie would ship..
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

thecfarm

WDH,I don't know if my rhubarb would live that far north,but if you send me your address I will gladly send you some and a few pointers to make it grow.This is the old fashion kind.The kind that Don likes.It's a little on the tart side.Needs sugar for most people.That's odd.Patty was offering some too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JimMartin9999

I have heard that you can only cut and eat rhubarb till a certain date , then it gets poisonous.  Is there any truth to this?
Jim

Don_Papenburg

Do you know the date ? we don't and never heard such.   I think it comes from misguided folks who don't like rhubarb.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dan_Shade

the leaves are poisonous, from what I understand, you can only eat the stalk.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Woodcarver

My wife asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday Saturday.  I said rhubarb custard pie.  digin1

thecfarm, I don't think WDH will have any luck with rhubarb in Georgia.  I requires a cold weather dormant period. 
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Tom

He Might!    He lives way up north, almost in Macon.  :D :D

WDH

Quote from: Patty on May 25, 2008, 06:34:42 PM
Here is the Rhubarb Cake Recipe we use.

PATTY SENT ME A CAKE 8).

You are not going to believe how good this cake is!  I need to go get another piece, now ;D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

olyman

Quote from: breederman on May 24, 2008, 07:55:31 AM
  Just cooked up some sauce and had it on my pancakes. :)  Life is good.
PANCAKES????????????????? naw--on soft ice cream---yummmmmmmm like sweet and sour sauce!!!!  ;D

Norm

Quote from: WDH on June 06, 2008, 09:14:11 PMPATTY SENT ME A CAKE 8).

You are not going to believe how good this cake is!  I need to go get another piece, now ;D.

Glad to see the FedEx guy didn't eat it before you got it Danny. I was wondering if it would be nothing but crumbs when it arrived. They can be a little rough on packages. :D

Patty

So glad you liked the cake, Danny, it is one of my favorites.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

WDH

Quote from: Norm on June 07, 2008, 08:18:32 AM
Glad to see the FedEx guy didn't eat it before you got it Danny. I was wondering if it would be nothing but crumbs when it arrived. They can be a little rough on packages. :D

The cake was (is) perfect.  Y'all wrapped it very well.  I am surprised that it was so moist and also surprised that the FedEx guy didn't eat it too ;D.

SwampDonkey

Mom used to make a rhubarb cake to. I think there was some sugar sprinkled on top.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Patty's Rhubarb Cake, Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream, and WDH's spoon ;D.

Now that is the sweetest combo that I can think of :D.

SwampDonkey,  notice that delicious brown sugar on top!!

sawguy21

Breyer's ice cream is DanG good for store bought.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Gotta have Häagen-Dazs (est. by Reuben and Rose Mattus in The Bronx, New York-Now made by Nestlé) or home made for the real stuff though. About $6 for a half litre though.  :o

Looks like good birthday cake to me.  ;D

crowder888

Ever had rhubarb custard pie?  My Grandmother-in-law makes some of the best ever.

WDH

I don't doubt that at all.  But Patty's rhubard cake makes my mouth water as I think about it.  If I am a lucky man, she will send me another one next year and I will be quite indebted and of a most decidely obsequious manner in return.

Without her generosity, I would not have experienced this epicurean delight!

Thank You Sponsors!