iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawdust extraction on peterson mills

Started by hansbaba, May 24, 2008, 01:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hansbaba

I was wondering if any peterson owners have dealt with sawdust getting on the tracks. The little clear plastic tabs that are in front of the wheels are getting kinda worn (i think). I seem to be getting alot of the gray shavings from the wheels onto the track rim and that in turn helps to collect sawdust shavings. Before long, if I dont stop, clean out the wheel grooves and track rim I soon have a thunk , thunk, thunk as I try and push the mill down the track. It is really slowing me down. I usually use Hi /lo and I dont even worry about it but the dynamics of the site (wind primarily) made it so I needed to switch things around or drink redwood all day! Anybody have any improvements on the little plastic track scrapers.
I made a "sawdust shield" on the other side of the mill out of some builders felt, paint brushes, duct tape, and a bucket load of cable ties. It is extremely crude, but it worked. I was going nuts having to clean the rail and wheels so often when double cutting. I just made about 350 2x12's. After struggling with about 100, I knew I had to do something!
Any ideas from the forum. I figured Id check here before seeing if petersons had any bright ideas..
thanks,
hans.

by the way how do you attach photos ?

thecfarm

I can help you on the photo part,

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,23851.0.html

If you go to "help"  on the top of this page,you will find it there too.It looks like a lot,but it does get easier as you do it.If you get stuck,we will gladly help you out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Hans,I'am not a swinger but would it be practical to use a large fan to keep the sawdust airborn and out of your way.It would be easy to try and may work,you could move the fan around for best effect.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

CALSAW

Hello Hans, I don't have the same setup as you but here's what I did to keep the chips down.
I got a sheet of 1/16 hmw plastic from TAP plastics and riveted it to the horizontal guard below the engine,
so it hangs down and deflects the spray of chips when the blade is horizontal. It is flexible enough to ride up and around the log as you cut across. The only downside is that the chips get concentrated in a smaller area, right were you walk, so I have to shovel out more often, but there is less blowing around and in your face.
Poor picture but you can see it hanging below the engine to the left.
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

ladylake

TK uses rudder pads in front of the wheels, had to adjust them down after 5000 hours. About 1/4" thick.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hansbaba

thanks for the input

ladylake,
what are rudder pads?

ladylake

On my TK they are a piece of rubber 1/4" thick 4" wide by 3-1/2 high that are bolted on in front of the wheels scraping the sawdust off the rails.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hansbaba

Thank you steve,
I think I may have an old wheelbarrow tire I will try to cut up and use.
hans.

techmark

The WPF currently only has a plastic flap covering the outer side of the rollers. There may be some benefit in having a flap on the inner side of the rollers. we will look into this and also see if we can improve the material and its performance at removing sawdust.
thanks for all your input guys.

Thank You Sponsors!