iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best use for some old lumber?

Started by eamassey, May 22, 2008, 11:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eamassey

Hello, I am taking down an old house, likely built in the 1905 to 1915 time frame.  The old house is falling in with horrible terimite damage--- but, there is still a good amount of undamaged rough heart pine unplaned (and oversized) 1" x 12" x 10 feet.   There is also considerable 2" lumber- all heart pine.  This pine is local shortleaf virgin pine.  Now what is this lumber best used for?   I don't really want to sell any of it,  anyway, nobody could afford it if I charged for my labor, even though the house was free. Ideas for the use of this lumber?   (Is this the best section of ForestyForum for this kind of posting?)(If there is interest I will try to learn how to post pictures.)

Dodgy Loner

I guess it depends on your needs.  The 2" boards would make great flooring, but might not be good for much else.  It would definitely be a lot of work to T&G all those narrow boards, though.  You'll have a lot more flexibility with the 12" lumber - flooring, wall paneling, and country furniture would all be excellent uses for the boards.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ellmoe

There are companies that buy that old heart pine, mostly for flooring. If you have enough a little investigating should find some names.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on May 22, 2008, 11:41:01 PM
  The 2" boards would make great flooring, but might not be good for much else.  It would definitely be a lot of work to T&G all those narrow boards, though. 

Yeah, those 2" wide boards are really a pain to work, especially when they are 6" tall. :D ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Riles

There you guys go again, putting the wall boards on the floor.  ;D
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Ironwood

I buy some denailed demo stuff locally. I have a reconstruction use for it, and I have sold a few to cabinet makers. Denailed hardwoods are the worst, nails breakoff as they get "stuck" as the wood dries. The era you are speaking of had good quality generally and it can be resawn into nice kitchen panelling below chair rail (nice circle saw marks).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!