iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain question

Started by justintimemoto, May 22, 2008, 04:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justintimemoto

i just bought a 100' roll of 3/8 pitch .63 gauage and i was wondering if it will fit on a .58 gauge bar.......stupid question but i just remembered today that i ordered .63 gauge and all my bars are .58
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

Kevin

SawTroll

Quote from: Kevin on May 22, 2008, 06:28:33 PM
no, it won't fit.

:) - unless the bars are totally worn out, and then it won't work very well anyway...... :-X
Information collector.

joe_indi

There should be no problem at the  nose, that is if the guide bar has a replaceable bar nose.
Usually, after about 6 chains run on a bar the groove sides wear out enough to accept the thicker drive links.
There would still be some places on the bar where the wear might not be enough.
You could use a suitable flat file to remove the required metal in such spots.
Once the chain has seated snugly in the bar, oil the chain generously and rev the saw in short bursts. Once this is done the grooves widen out enough.
I do this regularly, but it needs some time and patience.
Well, with a 100' roll of chain in hand to be suited for your bars, I am sure that time and patience will not   be in short supply in your case :D :D :D

I made a small mix up in the sentences here. Please see my reply below

TexasTimbers

I ran brand new .58 on a brand new 5' .50 gauge bar. It "worked" but I don't recommend it. I did not do it on purpose.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

joe_indi

A small correction in my earlier reply.Sorry for the mistake:  :'(

Usually, after about 6 chains run on a bar the groove sides wear out enough to accept the thicker drive links.
There should be no problem at the  nose, that is if the guide bar has a replaceable bar nose.
There would still be some places on the bar where the wear might not be enough.
You could use a suitable flat file to remove the required metal in such spots.
Once the chain has seated snugly in the bar, oil the chain generously and rev the saw in short bursts. Once this is done the grooves widen out enough.
I do this regularly, but it needs some time and patience...........

justintimemoto

ill just wind up sending it back and get the right chain
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

Kevin

The bar groove will remain tight at the bottom of a worn bar and that will generate lots of heat causing excessive wear on both the chain and bar, not worth it in my opinion.
Matching the bar and chain is the best solution.

stonebroke

why not just buy some .63 bars?

Stonebroke

dancan

or sell the chain and order the correct size  :)

Thank You Sponsors!