iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln dried lumber that's been rained on?

Started by Dave Shepard, May 21, 2008, 09:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I had just tarped up about 2:00 due to a drenching down pour, only to look up and see our TT load of cherry from the kiln. With no tarp. Soaking wet. :( I don't think the rain soaked in very far. It's inside the shop right now. Will it dry out, or is it a disaster?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Dave
Shouldn't bother it too much. Wood doesn't soak up water like a sponge. Moisture damage more dependent on time for the moisture (vapor) to get into the cell walls within the board, when they begin to swell causing warp.

If you got it inside, I doubt you will have a problem. Maybe some noticable color or splotching on the surface boards. You prolly had the lower quality boards on the top of the pile anyway... ::)

But let us know what you find out.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

Should not be a problem. Water marking on the surface but it will dry quickly. Once the cell walls have been ruptured and the cell moisture exits (from kilning), I don't think the reabsorbtion is every as complete and hence drys out very quickly.  My understanding was it simply can occupy the gaps between the cells, but re enter the walls of the cell. IMHO, mileage will vary.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

That is my thinking. The rain water is free water, whereas the cell water is bound water, which is why you have to kiln it. I don't know if we have a moisture meter, but I'll ask. I'll bet there will be one soon if there isn't. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

Oh, that's right you are working as a sawyer for someone else, right? I forgot.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

We built a kind of tarp tent over the piles yesterday and put DH unit in it. The piles were bone dry this morning. Don't know if the DH helped or not.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!