iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If John Deere made a pickup truck ...

Started by Frickman, May 21, 2008, 07:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

it would be the best selling truck out there.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

timberfaller390

L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zopi

It'd be an overpriced rebranded Ford.... lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jokers

Quote from: zopi on May 21, 2008, 07:23:37 PM
It'd be an overpriced rebranded Ford.... lol
Doubt it.     

JD doesn`t re-brand anything domestic do they? Don`t they usually look for something manufactured in Asia or South America to re-brand?  :D

isawlogs

There ATV's are repainted Bombardier .. Who made there chainsaws ...  ???
  Now there trucks .. they might be those new Sterlings  ;) Have a friend here that just got a couple of um ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Polly

8) 8)a couple months ago i got an offical john deere cap directly from john deere i looked inside an lo and behold it was made in china their p ups probly would be to :D :D :D :D

Ironwood

My 550 came from the JD dealer (still has some of the sticker around the emblems). Does that count? I think he even carried the balance I owed him on JD credit. About as close as you can get.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

And if IH made a pickup it would last forever, but the body would rust off. Oh, wait, they already did that. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

There was talk when Chevy was changing diesels in their PUs that a JD engine was on the short list.  Instead they went with the Isuzu not that it was a poor choice :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jokers

Quote from: isawlogs on May 21, 2008, 07:41:04 PM
.. Who made there chainsaws ...  ???.....
Two former JD re-brands that come to mind are Kioritz-Echo(Japan) and Efco/Oleo-Mac(Italy). The Homelites, which they didn`t re-brand, were also made in Asia if I`m not mistaken. I know that Yanmar(Japan) made their compacts for quite a while and Zetor(Brazil) made their mid-size farm tractors for a few years, don`t know who makes them now but they seem awfully competitively priced to be US or Canada manufactured.

Not saying that all products made in Italy or Japan are no good, infact both of those saw brands are pretty good, just that JD is considered by many patriotic North Americans to be a North American company, I wish this were true.

Dave Shepard

I have been teased many times about  my "Japanese" Kubota by compact Deere owners. I then point out there green Yanmar is made in Japan, while only half of my Kubota was. The rest is good ole USA. ;) (Yes, it has metric and SAE fasteners and hoses  ::) )

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Handy Andy

Those smaller JD tractors, under 7000 series are german made, think the old 2010 was also german.  The 2940 and under were also German built.  I looked at a 6715, it had the same hp as a 7210, but cost about 15000 less.  And it had a shuttle trans.  Probably shoulda bought it.  Instead I bought a 4450 and rebuilt the transmission.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Dave Shepard

The compacts are Yanmars, in whole, or in part. The models you have mentioned are mid sized. Are the German tractors made by another manufacturer, or by a German Deere plant? IH had plants all over at one time. France, England, Australia, and more.

Dave

Corley5

2010s were made in Dubuque, Ia.  The Puke from Dubuque  ;) ;D  I've got one so I can call it that  ;D ;D  There may have been a German made version also  ???  The 6210, 6310 and 3150 I used to work with were all made in Germany.  Mannheim I believe.  The 3150's engine was French made as I remember  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don_Papenburg

In the 80s GM had a Deere diesel option for the midsize trucks.  early 90s Deere made engine blocks for GM .  I belive they also made some heavy chassis for GM bus/truck at one time. 
  Deere 4000 sized tractors are made near Atlanta Ga.
I think that some of the small frame 7000 are made in the Lanz factory, Manheim

Deere is useing a detroit in the small vinyard tractor

It would be hard to say what you would get from Deere if they built a pick up today.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

mike_van

Would the JD pickup only come in green & yellow?  Ah, I couldn't afford it anyway -  :D   I'm on my 3rd JD garden tractor,  had a 110, a 112 & now a 285, all bought used. The new ones were allways just more than I had to spend.   They do hold up pretty good though, you won't see them with weeds growing up through them like the Murrays, Sears, Dynamark, etc.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

york

Hi all,
The JD lawn mower-the kind ya walk behind,is built by snapper-am looking at one at lowes.....Also am looking at a JD mod.# 5403-74 HP-it looks good,but have not asked how much yet...
Albert

Coon

Well I think I had better chime in here. :D  I got a GM/John Deere cross breed truck like no one else.  :D  I have got a 1977 GM 1 ton dually with a non-turbo 6 cylinder diesel out  of a 7700 JD Combine.  It's got quite the story behind it.  Here it be.

Back in 2000 I had bought this 1 ton dually to pull a goose neck stock trailer.  The truck was stock with a 454 and 4 spd manual tranny.  While pulling the trailer full of cattle and trying to get out of the wet and soft pasture I burried the truck right up to the differential.  I had absolutely no cell service in the area and I was atleast 5 miles from the nearest farm yard. I had to give it that one last old school try to get it free.  That didn't happen.  The engine started knocking and before I could shut it down it threw a connecting rod.
  Later that day we got the truck towed back to the yard and we started to pull the engine out.  We looked around and couldn't find another 454 cheap enough but we had this combine engine sitting there.  Somehow we got this brainwave to put it into the truck.  It was a major challenge at that.  We had to cut the firewall and remanufacture, build a bell housing, build top end water jackets, manufacture throttle linkage, and build motor mounts.  In all it took two of us a total of about 50 man hours and about $300 in steel to create.  The truck gets in the neighborhood of 37-38 mpg whether it is empty or loaded, but is very hard on front springs due to the excessive weight added.

I will find my pics of it today and scan them just for the forum.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

stonebroke

How does it haul the gooseneck?

Stonebroke

Coon

Not much of a farmer---- just a redneck with an attitude. :o :D

To tell you the truth about how it hauls the gooseneck stock trailer you wouldn't even believe you were pulling the trailer with 4 full grown Belgians.  Top speed pulling would be in the neighborhood of 50 mph.  Empty pulling the trailer I could get 55 mph out of it.

Still looking for the pictures.  Really sucks to have to move again with everything packed away in boxes. >:(

timberfaller390

Atta boy Coon. Sounds like you might've spent a little time here in Southern Appalachia. If it don't fit force it,cut it and then get a bigger hammer till it does fit.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dave Shepard

One of my retired blacksmith buddies passed on some advice given to him many years ago. I was working a pretty good sized chunk of iron and he said "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer". :D :D

Dave

Coon

The only tools I need are a side grinder, a torch, a welder, and a selection of hammers. :D :D  Oh yeah,  I forgot about that trust ol' jackall. 

If it's not broke-- fix it anyways.  It still needs more power. ;) ;) :D :D

Dave Shepard

More power isn't always better. ;)

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!