iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Urban logs pics

Started by HOOF-ER, June 08, 2008, 01:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOOF-ER

Here is several months of urban logs at the farm. Lots of sawing/ hopefully not much metal :-\. New to this I think there are more going to waste/ firewood that I would like to get my hands on.   
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

HOOF-ER

Dodgy Loner

Nice logs!  Looks like it about time to crank up the sawmill! 8)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ironwood

Looks like fun! If you can try to stack them up in the shade under those trees, it will go a long way toward keepinf them fresh before you saw them.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Daren

Cool, a growing pile. With the weather we have been having (high winds/LOTS of rain) I have been scoring some nice blowdowns myself.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

LOGDOG

Good to see you around Daren. Been wondering if things were picking up for you?  :)

LOGDOG

HOOF-ER

I just got these moved and will  stack them this week. I am hoping to get them sawed in the next month.
Daren, alot of these trees were not blow downs . People just not wanting them there anymore. One of the big red oaks was a blow down ( top was out). It was approx 36".  ;D that is the biggest log in front of the shed.

Daren

Quote from: LOGDOG on June 08, 2008, 07:11:52 PM
Good to see you around Daren. Been wondering if things were picking up for you?  :)

Yea, somewhat  ;D. Some "notables" from last week, dumped in the yard.
A blowdown white oak (3 logs, 2 on the ground in the picture-one on the mill not pictured)

Weird stuff, very hard, hardest oak I have sawn and I cannot ID it. I was going to bring it up to see who could (even though it is probably not that uncommon ?)

And some walnut.

And a cool crotch (would have loved to have the butt...this crotch was 50' up the tree...the rest was shredded and strewn by a tornado)

HOOF-ER

Kind of looks like a bur oak. I got a couple last week. Good looking wood.

LOGDOG

Beautiful crotchwood. Love that figure.

LOGDOG

Daren

I am still milling blow downs. Some wild looking walnut books. All 12" wide boards.

A tree service dumped a big (too big for my mill, 50" diameter)sugar maple in the yard...lucky for me it was lightning struck and it blew a perfect 1/4 out  8)

That missing 1/4 on the mill.

I had to split the rest with wedges  smiley_sweat_drop. I could have ripped it with the chainsaw but it was already cracked.

You know what made it so hard to split eh eh, there seems to something wrong with the grain  ;D

I milled some little maple crotches from another tree. Little ones 20"X36"

And more blow down walnut crotches. I like these alot, just gorgeous in person. Not huge, 24" X 36" but really pretty.

Hey, I will take what I can get. This was all delivered free to clean up the storms we have been having. I know the whole midwest has been getting pounded. I hope everyone is safe and sound.

cuttingman423

thats some nice coloration in that wood Daren    very nice walnut for sure.

Thank You Sponsors!