iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another 5100S owner

Started by TexasTimbers, May 21, 2008, 09:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I was going to opt for the 346XP, and really wanted it, but I decided to support my local dealer in the end. I ordered the saw this morning and he let me have it for $399 with 18" bar and chain. I forgot to ask him if he would sub some good stihl chain for the stock safety chain that I assume it comes with, but I bet he will.

This guy used to be a Stihl AND Husqvarna dealer at diiferent times in the past and quit both of them. I think I have talked about that before. We do have a Stihl dealer here also and he is a good man but I just didn't want to go Stihl for a couple of reasons. One, he's all retail only but mainly because I really believe, from reading here and at other saw sites about the 5100S  it has to be the best bang for the buck in the 50cc class.

Everyone who owns one is very happy and most of the owners comment on the instant acceleration and suprising power for a 50cc saw. In any case I am happy to support my local dealer, even though I did find a dealer willing to send me a 346xp and support me, I figured the 5100 with local support - 3 miles away - was my best option.

Steiner I presume you are still liking yours. ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SawTroll

:) I like the 5100S, but I like the NE346xp better, for several reasons.... 8)
Information collector.

TexasTimbers

Now see you're already making me regret my decision!   :-\ 

ladylake

If I didn't already have 14 or 15 saws I'd get a 5100. Nothing wrong with the NE346 either.      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jokers

Quote from: TexasTimbers on May 22, 2008, 10:10:29 PM
Don`t sweat it TexasTimbers, there are a ton of guys very happy with their 5100s', probably never owned a 346xp, but hey, if ya don`t know what your missing you`ll not be disappointed.  ;)

TexasTimbers

I know. But I really wanted a 346. Only reason I didn't do it is because I wanted to support my local guy. I have bought my last three new saws online and hate to walk in one day for service, for something I can't do to do and ask him to fix it.

The only thing that might be would be a carb redo which I could do just don't like it.

This way, I have bought at least one saw from him. Hey I bought a Dolmar weedeater from him once! ;D

Maybe I will have him order me a 346 too at some point. My wife works with me full time now after all so two limbing saws is not excess. Plus, I did come within a cat's hair of buying her one for Christmas.  I bet our regional Husky manager would do it. He's a nice guy I had talked to him in the past about becoming a dealer myself.

SawTroll

Quote from: TexasTimbers on May 22, 2008, 10:10:29 PM

Nothing wrong with the 5100S, and you saved some money.

They are pretty close, so the decision depends on your preferenses, regarding minor stuff, really.....

I prefer the 346 because it handles just a bit better for limbing etc, having a more compact feel to it, and being just a tad lighter. I also like the on/off/choke arrangement on the smaller huskys better than anything else.

On the flip side, the Dolmar is a bit more versatile, because of the inboard clutch - so it really is a trade-off.
Information collector.

TexasTimbers

I didn't know the 346 had an outboard clutch. I am used to them now but hated them when i got my first one. Was hoping the 346 had an inboard.

TexasTimbers

Hey I just had a brainstorm. I will inform the wife that the 5100 is a little heavier than the 346, and since she has several inches on me she is the bigger of us. It only stands to reason she should have to tote the bigger saw.

Whenever I need to invoke this line of reasoning to my benefit, her response is always "I can handle it shorty!"  Yes, I think I will end up with the Husky after all. ;D

SawTroll

:D :D 8)

Good thinking!

Even though my wife is smaller than me, she has the 5100 and I have the 346....... ;)
Information collector.

jokers

TexasTimbers,

I`m sorry if anything I`ve said about the 5100s is causing you any misgivings about buying one. I`ve deliberately come on strong against the guys who purport them to be head and shoulders better than anything else on the market, especially when they start comparing `em to saws like the 361, just ain`t happenin'.  ;) They are a very good saw and if I didn`t like the 346 better for some reason I`d have another 5100, your mileage may vary.

Good luck with your new saw.........and enjoy it!

Tom

Quoteher response is always "I can handle it shorty!" 

That's the comment that makes me pick up more than I should have too.  :D

TexasTimbers

Hey thanks for the thoughtfulness Russ. I do take your views and opinions on saws seriously, as I do all the other pro and pro-level guys here.  But you aren't responsible for my "regrets". I am not having any but if I were you would not be responsible for it. I always take responsibility for my choices, sometimes after a little whining, but I usually come around in the end. ;)

Also I can usually discern between a review or comment that is mostly unbiased, and one that is from the standpoint of a brand man that believes his color is the be-all to end-all. I know from your posts that you are not in that category.

Even though I don't even have the saw yet, I know it is a good saw from the many reviews I read here and abroad. It's just that I really wanted the Husky because of the reviews I read on it also, and also because I DO favor Husky when things are otherwise close in comparison.  Blind loyalty is one thing IMO, but nothing illogical about favoritism as long as you always consider all your options.

Not having used either saw, just from dozens of reviews I have read on tboth of them, my opinion is that the 346xp has the upper hand by a smidgen. I already had that opinion when I opted for the 5100, but I made my finaly decision because I want to support my local guy more than I have been in the past.

I'm sure I'll love the saw. I am also pretty sure I am going to get my wife a late Christmas present, or early one, however ya want to look at it. ;D

Quote from: Tom on May 26, 2008, 09:33:13 PM
Quoteher response is always "I can handle it shorty!" 

That's the comment that makes me pick up more than I should have too.  :D

I would say it sounds like you need learn how to leverage Mrs. Tom's shortness relative to yours, to your advantage in those situations. But of course she has seen every trick in your book over the years I am sure. So the best you can do is just resign yourself to the fact you are gonna always be picking stuff up. :)

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on May 26, 2008, 09:11:30 PM
TexasTimbers,

I`m sorry if anything I`ve said about the 5100s is causing you any misgivings about buying one. I`ve deliberately come on strong against the guys who purport them to be head and shoulders better than anything else on the market, especially when they start comparing `em to saws like the 361, just ain`t happenin'.  ;) They are a very good saw and if I didn`t like the 346 better for some reason I`d have another 5100, your mileage may vary.

Good luck with your new saw.........and enjoy it!

Very well said - I totally agree!   8) 8)
Information collector.

John Mc

I'm curious why Husqvarna's 357XP never seems to get much play in discussions here. Specs seem very close to a Stihl 361: Both 4.4 HP, 357 is 56.5 cc vs Stihl 361 59 cc, Husky 357 = 12.1 lbs vs Stihl 12.3 lbs.

It seems all of the Husky fans jump from a 346XP to a 372XP or larger. Am I missing something? It seems like a great combination of light weight and good power.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jokers

Quote from: John Mc on May 30, 2008, 09:09:15 AM
I'm curious why Husqvarna's 357XP never seems to get much play in discussions here. Specs seem very close to a Stihl 361: Both 4.4 HP, 357 is 56.5 cc vs Stihl 361 59 cc, Husky 357 = 12.1 lbs vs Stihl 12.3 lbs.

It seems all of the Husky fans jump from a 346XP to a 372XP or larger. Am I missing something? It seems like a great combination of light weight and good power.

John Mc
There is probably no tangible reason John. I just like the feel of the 361 a bit better and I think it may have a marginal amount more torque than the 357 when stock. The 361, when well modifed has all the high end power of a well modded 357 and a wider powerband. All of my saws get mods so I favor the 361 accordingly in favor of the finished product.

The Husky 359 is a sleeper in this bunch and if you get one cheap enough and get it modded by the right guy it will cut just about with the modded 361. Unfortunately the 359 seems quite de-tuned in stock form.

The 60cc saws aren`t that much more powerful than the 50cc saws and they aren`t that much lighter or cheaper than the 70cc saws so I can understand why alot of guys don`t use them. They are in a pretty good "all around" area if you only have one saw though.

John Mc

Jokers (Russ, if I recall correctly) -

Thanks for the comments. I've got a really good Husky dealer nearby, and another good Husky/Jonsered dealer. The Stihl guys are OK (a tractor dealership, where I bought my tractor), but they just don't seem to know saws the way the two Husky guys do, and I'm not sure how they are on servicing chainsaws.

I've got a Jonsered 2152C (similar to a husky 353) that I'm about to switch to a non-catalytic muffler. I also have a Jonsered 2141, that makes a nice homeowner type saw (a huge step up from the junk at Sears or most of the stuff at the big box stores). I'm debating selling the 2141 to a woman who wants a light-weight saw for processing a cord or two of firewood per year and occasional felling (I used it for this for a couple of years and was satisfied, as long as I had a good chain and kept it sharp).

I've been looking at the 357XP for an "all around" saw. I'd probably put a 16" bar on it, since it's fairly infrequent that I run into something that would require cutting from both sides even with that length bar. (I'd rather have a bit more work on that occasional tree than lug around the extra weight of a bigger saw all day). At $659 with bar and chain, it ain't cheap.

I can get a 359 for $509 new. I probably don't have the skills to do any mods myself. I also don't know anyone around here who does that kind of work. How do you find someone good at modding a saw? What effect is modding likely to have on the life of the saw? I'm not looking for race saw performance, but if the 359 is a good base saw, but detuned, I'd consider mods if they weren't too expensive and didn't shorten the life of the saw.

BTW... was in your neck of the woods last weekend, visiting the in-laws in Pulaski.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

TexasTimbers

I stopped by yesterday and Raymond said "It's here you want to hold it?" ;D He had that same big toothy grin just like the icon I just used. His grin is frighteningly the same.

He wouldn't let me take her home until she was serviced and he couldn't do it yesterday. I said heck I can put the fuel and oil in it. He says no I have to check the rpm's and everything. I forgot they did all that. I probably never knew they did all that. I wonder if the mailorder houses do that? I doubt it. Just another benny of buying local. Anyway today is the magic day. If he doesn't call soon I am going to show up again this afternoon and pester him as a friendly reminder.

I have to think of a name for her. My two big Sweedish ladies are Hilda (372) and Helga(395). When I named them I didn't take into account the meanings behid the names. I got lucky though. Hilda means "Battle". I like that in my chainsaw. Willing to do battle with a big Oak. Helga has two meanings that I found. The site I landed on said the German meaning is "Holy. Pious". Hey I am all for that. But Helga is a Swede, and the definition said the old Norse (Scandanavian) meaning is "Prosperous and Successful". Those two Swede ladies are a good combo. One goes to war and the other finances the war.

But my 5100S is a German Frauline. She needs to be named appropriately. Something with a feminine sound, but with a tough meaning so her big Swedish sisters don't take her too lightly. On the same site under German names . . . Amalasuintha means "strong worker" which is cool, but it's too long. It might take her too long to learn it. I'm also liking Gerty, short for Gertrude of course. Means "Spear Strenght". I don't know. It's hard to cut a tree with a spear. I need to rethink this. Since she is a 5100"S", I might need a name that starts with an "S".

The "S"s in the female German name list are few. Shatzi is easy to say and sounds realy cool. i love that name for dog, and she could learn it easy probably. But #1 she is not a dog, and #2 it means "Darling. Little Treasure." I don't want a "darling" chainsaw, and one that might rather catch a frisbee than cut a Catalpa. Then there is Senta. Rolls right off the tongue. Passes that test. Means "Assistant." At first I liked the idea of being "assisted" by my chainsaw. then it dawned on me, that suggests I am doing most of the work. Forget that noise. My only purpose is to feed them lubricants, keep their teeth sharp, and simply "steer them" through the cutting. THEY are going to do all the work. No chainsaw of mine is going to just "assist" me. I am the assistant ......

But THEN, I stumbled across this . . . . Serilda . . . "Armed Maiden of War" !!! that's what I'm screamin' baby! suh-rill-da. Oh yah. And all three names blend well together. Helga, Hilda, & Serilda. I just hope they all get along as well in real life and don't put me in the middle of a sibling rivalry. I will have to have a talk to the Swede's and prepare them for the shock . . . they are getting a German half-sister.  :o

jokers

Quote from: TexasTimbers on May 30, 2008, 01:21:34 PM..........today is the magic day. If he doesn't call soon I am going to show up again this afternoon and pester him as a friendly reminder.
That`s funny TT! Good luck with the new lady!

jokers

John,

I assume that you will be buying your new saw from one of your local dealers? A simple muffler mod might be just the ticket, whether you buy the 359 or the 357. It`s the biggest bang for the buck whether you do it yourself or pay someone more experienced to do it, it will also let more heat out of the engine which will enhance longevity over the long run.

I`ve tried several different builders and found that of those currently in the business, I like the work of ehp the best. I say currently because there is a guy by the name of Ken Dunn who no longer, to my knowledge, builds saws but the one saw he did for me is about on par with my ehps. These are the standard bearers for me.

Unfortunately and despite the fact that the builders aren`t getting rich from doing "woods saw"(vs race saw) mods, it isn`t what most guys would call cheap, $250 gets the saw modified and shipped back to you. Alot of guys do find the increased productivity worth the money and it has no negative affect on longevity if the saw is modified correctly and given decent care by way of keeping the saw clean, running sharp chain, and good gas with a little richer oil ratio. Modified saws do run quite a bit faster in the cut so it pays to lube them well.

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on May 30, 2008, 09:09:15 AM

John Mc

One thing is that Husky lie big time on the weight of the 357xp (13.0 lbs is more realistic), second the 4.4hp is not the same kind of hp (and the 361 is 4.6 anywhere but in the US) - and then there is the outboard clutch of the 357xp.....
Information collector.

logwalker

Quote from: TexasTimbers on May 30, 2008, 01:21:34 PM

But THEN, I stumbled across this . . . . Serilda . . . "Armed Maiden of War" !!! that's what I'm screamin' baby! suh-rill-da. Oh yah. And all three names blend well together. Helga, Hilda, & Serilda. I just hope they all get along as well in real life and don't put me in the middle of a sibling rivalry. I will have to have a talk to the Swede's and prepare them for the shock . . . they are getting a German half-sister.  :o

TT, you might want to seek "professional" help and maybe get some thuripy.    ;)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

TexasTimbers

Quote from: logwalker on June 01, 2008, 10:25:51 AM
TT, you might want to seek "professional" help and maybe get some thuripy.    ;)

I have already had the therapy. Like Jack said . . . . "This is as good as it gets".  :-\     ;D

TexasTimbers

As of Monday before all the rains hit again, I have had the opportunity to run a few tanks through Serilda. Man I love this saw. I don't doubt y'all when you say the 346 is a tad stronger, but it's hard for me to imagine it.
I was bucking 18" - 24" Red Oaks and a 28" Elm with her. I got her pinched a couple of times because these trees are laying all askew and in tension in many directions. One time the wedges weren't an option so I had to grab Hilda and cut her out.
Now I could certainly tell the difference between Hilda - a muff-modded 372 and the new, stock Serilda, but not as much as I would have thought.
I am impressed with her. Hilda is warming up to her too. Helga is a harder nut to crack but give her time. ;D

I must say she seems to run hotter than Hilda even, just going by what I feel not a thermometer but sure seems noticeably hotter. I better look into a 5100S muffler mod. Haven't heard that discussed here much.

RSteiner

I have put a few hours on the saw and like it very much.   8)

It cuts fast and handles very well.  At this point I have not found anything I wish was different about the saw.  There is one thing that I am wondering about however.  When I was looking at the saw at the Northeast Forest Products Expo one item the sales rep. remarked on was there is a screen over the exhaust outlet that his said can be removed with one small screw.  It almost sounded like he was hinting the performance of the saw would be increased with that screen removed.  I will keep an eye on it and see if it gets coated.

I purchased my 5100S with a 16" bar and 3/8" pitch chain.  The dealer put on a good chain, not the safety type chain.  I think it takes a littel less of the saws power to pull the chain around a 16" bar than an 18" bar.  Besides I wanted to use the saw basically for limbing.  The saw seems to handle the 3/8" pitch chain okay.

Randy
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!