iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Heartwood School

Started by John S, May 20, 2008, 06:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

I am considering enrolling for a 5 day course in Timber Frame construction at this school in Massachusetts.  Does anyone here have any experience with this school and can give me some advice.  I live in NW New Jersey, am 62 and would like to build a small TF building on my property.  Thanks
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Raphael

I'd highly recommend Heartwood School.
I took their basic square rule timber framing class as well as scribe rule timber framing and a cabinetry class.
My house hasn't fallen down yet so I guess they've managed to teach me that much.   ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Dave Shepard

Dave Carlon teaches one of the courses there, right Raphael? I took a class taught by Dave and Jack Sobon, well worth the time and money!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kfhines

I would say that is a great place to start! I took the Timber Frame Design course there, it was one of the best weeks off from work I've ever had. Will and Michele are awesome hosts and the lunches can't be beat!

Regards.
kfhines

Ironwood

The Shelter Institute in Maine also has some courses.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Raphael

Dave Carlon was there instructing for both of the TF classes I attended.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, kfhines! I'm in Western Mass too, about as west as you can get. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kfhines

Dave,
Thanks for the welcome. Alford is a beautiful area some day I would like to find a spot to bow hunt down there. I am located in Dalton near Burgner's Turkey farm and at the bottom of the hill from the Heartwood School. Are you still making the iron drift pins?

Karl

Dave Shepard

I'll be makind some more soon. I just have to get a chance to get to the Shaker village. Pretty soon I'm going to declare sundays as offlimits to doing other peoples projects, and do some of my own for once. I have to scrounge up some 3/4" hot rolled to make them out of.

Dave

kfhines

Dave,
What size stock would you need for 7/8" peg holes?

kfhines

Dave Shepard

I've seen a couple of different styles. I used 3/4" for 3/4" pegs, if it's drawbored, you will be tight before you need the whole 3/4". I would probably use 1", unless you can buy 7/8" round stock. If the pin is larger than the peg hole, you have to draw it out a lot more, lot's more hammering. Mine were only tapered the last 6", a freind of mine made some for Jack Sobon that were close to an inch, and had very long tapers on them.

Dave

Raphael

We cheated, bought 1" drawbore tapered pegs and shaved them down.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

shinnlinger

I took a sharpening course there a few weeks ago and it was great.  Will Beemer taught it (I think he runs Heartwood) and I liked his presentation style, not preaching his way was the best, and wiliness to work with the our tools, which is obviously hard to plan for.

I should add here that I am a High School teacher by training and profession, and I am usually overly critical of presenters.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

John S

Thanks all for your comments, I begin the class on the 23rd.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Jim_Rogers

John:
I'll see you there on the 26th.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

John S

The course was great.  Will and Michelle are great hosts and Michelle does provide outstanding lunches (home made ginger snaps!).  Dave Carlon is amazing.  We worked on a 24 by 32 barn that we raised on Friday.  Great experience.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

John S

No pics from me, too busy learning and working.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

John S

Someone posted two short videos of the barnraising from The Heartwood project that I worked on.  They are titled "Becket Barnraising 1" and "B.B. 2".
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Raphael

Quote from: John S on July 06, 2008, 05:12:38 PM
Someone posted two short videos of the barnraising from The Heartwood project that I worked on.  They are titled "Becket Barnraising 1" and "B.B. 2".

I saw those (I've got a standing search for "timber frame").
That was a pretty good sized structure for a one week class.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: John S on July 06, 2008, 05:12:38 PM

Where was this posted?
Can you provide a link?

Jim_Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Raphael

Not showing up here at work (could be blocked)...  Did you post the embedded html or just a link?
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Jim_Rogers

I copied something from the youtube webpage, and I'm not sure what it was.
I see the video and the play button in the middle of the screen.
Does anyone else see this?
Does it work for everyone or no one?

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!