iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best tree to harvest

Started by tyb525, May 19, 2008, 09:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I've got an opportunity to have logs sawn (circle saw) by my grandpa's friend for real cheap. Only thing is I don't have any logs to saw yet. I have 60+ acres of nice hardwood, so I can basically take my pick. I have already picked out a few nice cherries, oaks, walnuts, and maples, and hickories. Now I just need to narrow it down to one or two trees.

Could I get some advice on which would be the best (most valuable, easiest to dry, etc.) to harvest? (If you have other species in mind say so, I might have them also) This will be my first time having lumber sawn, and some tips on air-drying would be helpful, too.

Thanks, Ty
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Depends on what you are going to do with the wood.  If you are building furniture, then cherry and walnut are the cream of the crop.  Both are very valuable and dry well.  However, it all depends on your objective.  If you want flooring, oak and maple are traditional. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

I'll use it mainly for woodworking.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

I happen to love cherry and walnut :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

QuoteI happen to love cherry and walnut

Ditto. :D  Walnut is a very forgiving wood.  It is quite difficult to screw it up from air drying all the way to using it in a project.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

Cherry and walnut happen to be the easiest to dry, too.  Oak has a tendency to check and split when dried too quickly.  Maple has a tendency to develop gray stain when dried too slowly.  Cherry and walnut are quite forgiving.  The lumber will be easier to dry if you cut all of the logs to the same length, but if you have logs of different lengths, stack the longer boards on the bottom.  Stacks will dry best if they're about 4' wide, but my stacks are 5' wide to make it a bit easier.  You'll need to lay stickers about every 2'.  Stickers 1' x 1" are best to ensure adequate airflow, but I use 3/4" x 1" stickers, because that's what I've got.  Line up the stickers vertically as you stack as best you can.  Be sure that the base you're stacking on is reasonably flat, otherwise you lumber will assume the shape that they're laid upon.  Good luck , and welcome to the forum :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ron Scott

Ditto! to the cherry and walnut.
~Ron

Left Coast Chris

Next is thickness and width.  I like 5/4" thickness so I can plane out any warpage if making furnature.  If you want a bar top you need it to be thicker.  If you want to turn bowls you need block wood.

For width think about your planer.  Many wood workers use 6" wide and splice together for tops and sides.  The wide stuff is good if your planer will take it and you put enough weight on it when drying.  You need big logs for the wide boards especially if you want quarter sawn.  If its walnut, I have had good luck with either quarter sawn or flat sawn.  Its very stable if the knots are small.  Not sure about cherry.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

tyb525

Thanks for all of your responses guys. I'll probably go with cherry, because i already have some old walnut that was cut 30 some years ago by my grandpa and is still fine.

-Ty

tyb525

Also could I stack the wood in my barn, or should it be outside where there is more airflow?

Dodgy Loner

Is the barn open-sided?  If so, that would be an ideal location for drying it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

tyb525

Actually, I do have an old barn that is open-sided, bu I didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip.

-Ty

AlexHart

If you can stack your wood out of the rain and sun thats definately the thing to do.   Also be sure to use stickers so the air can circulate through the pile.   Its a good idea to give the wood a couple years before you actually make furniture out of it unless you have acess to a kiln.   

I also have found ash atractive as well as being very nice to work with.  What are you planning on making? 

tyb525

Well, I don't have anything specific yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with some things over the next 2-3 years, when the wood is dry enough for furniture. Maybe I'll have a lathe by then and can do some turning.

Left Coast Chris

Ty,  since you are storing the wood for awhile you need to think about powder post beetles.  If you have them in your area, you need to spray the wood with a borate spary like Timbore.   Some sawyers in your area would know if it is a problem there.

There is nothing like finding your whole stack ruined by borrers and having an epidemic on your property.   If your firewood pile has fine sawdust here and there towards the end of the year or after leaving it there two years you have the problem.
Don't let that get away from you.   Don't ask me how I know. ::) ::)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

AlexHart

I enjoy turning bowls and believe it or not some of the best pieces I've made have come from junk soft maple I've salvaged out of my firewood operation.   Keep an eye out for burly maple if you want to start collecting turning blanks.   Turning is also a little different from woodworking in that its not a bad thing to turn wood when its green and/or has a higher moisture content. 

tyb525

Boy the potential blanks ive seen go by while cutting and stacking firewood.
I remember cutting up what I thought was a junk maple log and , after I split it, seeing that almost all of it was curly.  ::)
Oh well, heat in the winter is more important  :)

I haven't noticed any powder post beetles in my firewood, but I know that they are around this area sometimes. I'll look into Timbore.

Also, would slippery (red) elm be worth sawing?

Thanks for the info guys.

WDH

Slippery elm, Ulmus rubra, has interlocked grain and will be difficult to dry without warping and twisting.  However, the wood is very pretty with a bold wavy grain.  If you are willing to put up with some aggravation, you can get some nice boards.  Realize, also, that some boards will be junk.  Your yield of good boards will be lower than with the straight grained woods like oak, poplar, cherry, etc.

Polly

8) 8) :)is 5/4the best thickness for furnature making any one else have any thoughts on the subject i got eight or 10ft logs i am ready to start onby the way it is walnut also does anyone know anything abourt butternut ::)

WDH

I saw my hardwood for furniture 1 & 1/16" thick.  That leaves some for shrinkage and at least 1/4 " allowance to be able to plane the board down to 3/4" final thickness.  For a lot of what I make, 5/4 would be wasteful since it is too thin to re-saw, and too thick for conventional furniture. 

I also like to saw a little 8/4 stock as well to be used for table legs and such.

Polly

8) :D   i should have typed 4/5 sorry about that question i squared up a walnut cant today and sawed out six 4/5boards the seventh boadr was 4/7 i cut a 1/2 inch off leaving me another 4/5 is this what i should have done or should i have left it 4/7anyway i ended up with seven 4/5 x 10 1/4 x 8ft if i was planning on selling to make furnature for myself what other sizes should i consider i figure i will saw it up and put it away for a couple of years while i make up my mind i think i got six more logs nine ft long around 30 inches dia any advise  :) :)

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Polly on May 26, 2008, 10:41:58 PM
does anyone know anything abourt butternut ::)

Looks similar to walnut, but lighter in color and in weight, and softer.  It can be used like any other hardwood for building furniture, but where it really shines is for carving, since it cuts so easily.

tyb525

Yea I bought some Butternut awhile back and made a clock out of it...it is real easy to work.

Thank You Sponsors!