iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal free urban walnut ?

Started by Daren, May 19, 2008, 08:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

Yea they do exist  ;), maybe not many but every once in awhile you get a pleasant surprise. My buddy from the county drainage board snagged me a couple logs off a job. I saw this one standing and from where it was I figured it to be full of tramp, good thing I did not bet on it. I milled some pretty decent 5/4 live edge slabs off of it for myself. I was rubbing my guide rollers all the way down (on my Schmid they are 25" between) and even got stuck a couple times and had to go ahead with a hatchet and trim some bark. 24"+ 5/4" X 10'  :)

Of course the cedar standing right beside it was a different story  ::).  I hit a 1/4" spike twice in it (who'da thought it could be that long ?) Yep got both ends of it.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

metalspinner

Gotta love the buddies that work for the County Drainage Board.  ;)  Nice! 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

i've been guilty of the flip it over thing, because the nail is on the bottom, there's NO WAY i could hit it from the other side  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Daren

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 19, 2008, 10:17:06 PM
i've been guilty of the flip it over thing, because the nail is on the bottom, there's NO WAY i could hit it from the other side  :D

Exactly  :D
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank You Sponsors!