iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Urban logging initiative in Illinois

Started by Daren, May 19, 2008, 06:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I have been talking with Reinee Hildebrandt Urban Conservation Program Administrator
Illinois Department of Natural Resources. She is a very cool lady with PHD in forestry, her husband worked in a mill himself. She has shown some interest in promoting urban logging through education of municipalities and giving urban loggers a link on the DNR home page (and some other stuff, she is working out the details) Getting the word out to municipalities I think would be a big help, letting them know guys are willing to saw their logs if they could just have access to them instead of the way it is now in most areas I am familiar with...haul them off and burn them/tub grinder.

We spent about on hour on the phone today yacking wood and trees. I am not sure how this will all pan out, but at least the ball is rolling. I told her about this place and when we talk again I will invite her to join and get input from "the guys in the field".

The links/info will be on this page by mid summer she hopes.
http://dnr.state.il.us/conservation/forestry/urban/
On that page on the right side near the bottom is a "contact us" and it is her work email . I would say if you are an Illinois urban logger or just a concerned citizen a quick note showing interest in the utilization of urban logs wouldn't hurt a thing.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dan_Shade

that's a good thing, Daren, I hope it takes off.

I snagged a few logs this past week, I haven't played the urban logging game for a long time, i forgot how much work it was for me since I don't have a tractor...  I keep thinking I should make up a trailer like that small one you have.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Daren

Well, they are working on it  8). The webmaster has some tweaking to do with links and there will be more information soon. But right smack on the DNR page http://dnr.state.il.us/conservation/forestry/urban/  is an attention grabbing "Urban Forest Utilization" NEW.
The link takes you to this listing page that is also a work in progress. http://dnr.state.il.us/conservation/forestry/urban/Urban_Forest_Sawmills.htm

Tom

Stay legal.  It won't be long before the Tax people find the list of "new" businesses and equipment. 

It happened in Florida and a lot of unsuspecting hobbiest got caught with their pants down. :)

Daren

Good advice Tom, as usual. But as it stands they can inventory me up and down. I have made it no secret I run a $5K manual mill and work my tail off to feed myself. I am incorporated in the state and file quarterly taxes on the whole shooting match (mill/woodworking/tool sharpening). I reckon if they came around here they would give me money  :D

HOOF-ER

Daren,  Looks to be a good deal. Hope it brings you some business. Sure can't hurt  eh? Would not be able to commit to total urban logs. If the need arises I would saw anything.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Thank You Sponsors!