iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MOVING A TRUCK

Started by mainiac, May 19, 2008, 06:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainiac

OK here is my problem. I have started up a firewood business here in Maine and after almost tipping my tractor over twice now loading the processor, I decided to find a log loader to do instead of my little tractor. I have found a 79 chevy c-65 with a Barco 80 loader(asking price $2900) on it that is no where road worthy(no brakes to begin with) and I need to get moved about 125 miles. It is 12'6" tall so I can not put it on a trailer and have been told as much as $1000 to have it towed.

Any suggestions how to get it home?

Thanks,
Mainiac
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

semologger

I just bought a barko 80 last week. its on a old chevy truck. dont know the make or model. it has a detroit motor in it.I am going to unhook the pump and put an electric motor on it. With the price of diesel now days. Electric is alot better.  No brakes also. We gave about same for it as you did. I traded a frieghtliner truck i didnt need anymore. First thing i had to do was rebuild the main boom cylinder. Going to use it to load my shaving box.

How about a tow truck thats how mine was moved.

cantcutter

Ask around and see if you can find somebody with a gooseneck and a diesel pickup who will move it for you.

leweee

or a heavy equipment contractor in your area with a low boy trailer. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Dave Shepard

I second the low boy, if there are any contractors in your area with one. It's the kind of thing you get them lined up and let them move it when they need a back haul, or have a rainy day. A friend of mine got his 50 ton P&H moved for $175!!  :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

timberfaller390

My log truck is a 74 chevy C65 apparently those are prone to brake troubles cause mine didn't have brakes either. I brought mine home on a roll back wrecker but it was the short wheel base single axle model. I assume that the loader height is the problem and a low boy or wrecker are going to be your only opptions unless you want to fix the brakes and drive it back. I replaced every brake line and rebuilt every wheel cylinder on mine so if you need advice about that let me know. Also be aware that those trucks have vaccum asisst brakes so if the engine dies you lose most of your braking power. The other possibility is to remove the loader and lay it on the trailer seperatly
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

J_T

Have took a short house tryler type toung that has a hinge on each side and blow holes in the bumper of the loader truck then put a one ton truck pulling it  ::) You ant lived till you take that boom off an put it back on  ;D Got a Barko 80 on a nice Ford truck that beleive it or not has breaks on . I put a pto drive on it If I get my 160 I may part with it  ??? If you pull it a long way I would pull the axles
Jim Holloway

a old timberjack

yeh, find a lowbed service, there is a million guys in maine right now looking for trucking. i dont know what it is about trucks with no brakes, my log truck is no way in hell roadworthy, it is a 1968 diamond reo with a prentice model h loader.with not a ounce of brakes.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

stonebroke

Most of the off road picker trucks around here have a towbar on them. Hook them up to a log truck and away you go.

Stonebroke

mainiac

Well, I am in the process of bying the rig. I have hired a tow truck to pull it on the hook. Low bed trailers still put the thing over hieght in Maine. Only allowed 13'4" I think. If it is not, it is darn close to that. I also found out that Maine DOT frowns upon tow bars for big trucks like that. The fine is larger than the tow bill is going to be. Tow truck turns out to be my only choice.

The guy I am buying it off of came down $400 to help me out with the towing. It is going to be a big help around here once I learn to run the thing. Should be a circus act around here next week :D. I have a 4 acre field I am parking it in the middle of to practice.

Thanks guys.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

stonebroke

You just have to use the tow bar on sunday morning when nobody is around.

Stonebroke

Sawyerfortyish

This weekend is a good time to move anything big overweight or high while all the Dot guys are off. I'm hoping to move a lot of wood. ;)

sawguy21

Been there. Done that. :D :D A rope and or chain worked in a pinch as long as the brakes were functional. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Coon

C'mon now.  Brakes are for wussies.  Use the gears to slow you down.  Take back roads to avoid all traffic and traffic lights.  Where's your sense of adventure.   :D :o :D ;) ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawdust

Brakes? That picker in my album has no brakes, I used the outriggers as brakes  :D :D :D
Only reason I wanted to slow down was that dang thing would start to "bounce" on those tires when I got going too fast. Made me motion sick, good thing it has no windows to get in the way  :-X
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Woodchuck53

Hey guys, moved mine home this past Sat. Bought a log loader switched to cane loader in Oct. Checked around and the heigth restrictions here are 13'6". Checked the overpasses and found them higher though. Anyway made a 60" pintle hitch tow bar and pulled it home with a freinds Army duce and a half. Fuel is 4.38 here in south louisiana. Used 70 gallons of it for 225 miles and 7 hrs. But it worked. No brakes and removed the drive shaft. Welded the brackets to the front ot the 69 F-850 and away we went. Safe and sound. Saved $1100.00 of tow co. charges. Good luck with yours. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

olyman

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 22, 2008, 11:08:17 AM
Been there. Done that. :D :D A rope and or chain worked in a pinch as long as the brakes were functional. ;)
get a strong enough tow chain--take a hook off one end--thread chain thru a strong enough pipe---put hook back on, and connect chain to truck-----this keeps the chain off the ground--and when you stop the tow vehicle--it stops the towed vehicle---within reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  can tow nearly anything this way-------and i didnt say whether its legal or not--can do it here--within reason

ARKANSAWYER

I drove my KB loader home about 140 miles from the flat lands to the hills of Arkansas.  The old GMC truck had air breaks and one on the front and one on the back worked.  You could run out of air fast and the parking breaks would hold you still on level ground.  It was quite the ride home.  We now call the truck "OH LORDY" and I have been caught up on my praying for years now after that trip.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!