iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 2152 leaking bar oil

Started by John Mc, May 18, 2008, 12:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I have a Jonsered 2152-C that leaks bar oil when sitting. I'll leave it for a couple of days, and come back to a pretty good puddle underneath it. It's been doing this since new (it's about a year old now). When I first mentioned it to the dealer, he thought it might just be oil which soaked into the sawdust and chips slowly draining out. I've checked, and even after I clean it, it still does this. I was then told that "all saws do it to some extent" (I doubt that).

It's slow enough that it hasn't been a problem as far as running out of oil in use... I still run out of gas first. However, it is something I'd like to get taken care of. I can't see where it's coming from. Does anyone know if the bar oil tank is subject to cracking, or if there is a gasket or something that may have been out of place when assembled? I'd appreciate any tips on what to look for before I start tearing into it. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but have never done any major work on a chainsaw (just simple routine stuff... replace filters, sharpen/replace chains, debur and square up bars, etc)

Any thoughts?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Kevin

After use try opening the cap to release any pressure prior to storing.
There will always be a little run down after using the saw but it shouldn't puddle.
Make sure to always clean the bar after using the saw so the oil hole in the bar doesn't get plugged and restict the oil from getting to the bar.
If it can't get into the bar groove it's apt to run down the side of the power head.

John Mc

I'll try releasing the cap. I hadn't thought of that, since I figured that I was using up oil, which if anything would make negative pressure (unless it's vented somewhere). But now that you mention it, the heat would cause any air to expand, pressurizing the tank.

I've not had any problems with the oil hole in the bar clogging. I always check when first starting up, and run it a bit a medium throttle out of the wood, till I see the oil coming off. I've taken to checking a few times during a run as well, just to make sure I haven't run out of oil.

I tried to find where it's coming from today. There is quite an accumulation in the little hollow under the front of the saw (there's a horizontal shock absorbing spring here that's getting pretty saturated). This is right under the bar oil tank. I can see a bit of a seam in the case here. I'm wondering if it's leaking there, but can't see enough to tell. I'll have to clean it up really well, then let it sit and take a look.

John Mc

John McNerney
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawTroll

Quote from: Kevin on May 18, 2008, 01:33:56 PM
After use try opening the cap to release any pressure prior to storing.
There will always be a little run down after using the saw but it shouldn't puddle.  ....

I agree, that helps in most cases...... ;)
Information collector.

bandmiller2

John,some saws just seem to leak bar oil,on my huskys I always lay the saw on its side fuel and oil caps up solves most of the leakage problems.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Not all leak, only about half.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!