Some of you have noticed me mention at times the dear City of Dublin's
desire that I tidy up.  My lumber drying piles have lingered longer than did
the patience of the political establishment.  In short, I have to make it go
away.

After being hit by one fine already - a fine which only made it necessary
for me to completely abandon the clean-up in favor of making more money -
I sure don't want to face another one.

All this has to go! (Inside that is)

This is the start of our "Track-side Lumber"  indoor store for it all.

WILL IT ALL FIT?    WILL WE MAKE THE DEADLINE?  THE SAGA CONTINUES.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

metalspinner

Sorry to hear about your delema, Phil.  I have a buddy that went through the same thing a couple years back.  Only he was not in the biz, just a woodworker with too many stacks of "building materials without a permit." ::)  He fought tooth and nail with the city, but lost out.

Good luck.  I think it will all fit. :)  BTW... That is a nice looking building. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Thanks, metalspinner.

It's a great old building, but I joke that I will be ninety years old before I get it all in
shape.  It is old enough that some of the brick are powdering away - the ones not
fired hot enough back in the "good old days."

I will try to post a few pics, as it moves along. The next ten days or so will be very
intense.  Hoping it will end with a mass lumber move into the "store" just before my
deadline with the city.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

sawdust

Most municipalities will cut some slack if they can see that you are trying to comply. Ask for an extension, bring pics.

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Uhhh,..............

'fraid this is an extension on an extension already.
::)

WDH

When Dublin becomes beautiful, I will come to visit ;D.  Hang in there, we are pullin' for ya.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

J_T

Jim Holloway

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

A bit of a pictoral update:

The above picture is the beginning of the skeleton of our "stiff arm" wooden shelving system.  [Hey, we got wood!]

The 2X8s on the upper level are part of a frame for a "mezzanine" of sorts.  It is about 8ft. above
the floor and is also 8ft. deep.  There is enough headroom to stand up.  We will display a lot of
coffee table slab material up there.   That will keep them out of the way and let us easily display
several dozen pieces.

The "cubbies" underneath provide slots for six to eight foot lengths of nice hardwoods.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Tomorrow (Saturday) will be a big day.  I have TEN workers coming to
uh, "facilitate" some lumber moving.
On monday I have at least four coming to finish up.

Beeyoootifikation is expensive, huh?

WDH

Now, you are just going to have to sell it fast to make room for some more ;D.

It is a never ending cycle :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Today's work went well.  Probably about 40% of the remaining work was done.

The bad side was a super-cell developed an hour north of us.  We heard it generated
a tornado in Milledgeville Ga.  (Have not verified that.)  By the time the storm reached
Dublin and all my now-exposed wood piles, it was still a doozey!  Probably dumped a
full inch of rain on lumber that had been dried and protected for up to three years!
Well, maybe that will be the last of my fights with rain.  It sure could have been worse:
We didn't have a tornadoin Dublin. 

In this month, however, Laurens, Twiggs and Bibb counties suffered over
$20 million in timber losses in the last batch of tornadoes and the insured property
damage has been estimated at up to an additional $120 million.

Pics of lumber progress tomorrow!

Tom

It picked a bad town when it picked on Milledgeville. Those GMC Cadets will answer the assembly call and whip a storm like that into a summer breeze in no time what so ever.   Yessiree Bobcat!  Don't mess with Milledgeville.  :D

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

160 man-hours later:

Now we are getting somewhere!

This little Bobcat 610 helps out, even if it is 35 years old!

Making a little mess to get rid of a bigger mess!

Starting to load some shelves.

Now how was it that I got so much DanG wood?!!!

And there is STILL a lot of work left to do, but there is some fabulous quartersawn oak and other
tasty morsels in the few remaining piles.  I am so broke, I am dipping into the negative numbers
but do I really mind?  After all, I AM helping to beautify old industrial Dublin, Ga. 
(The city didn't have to spend the $3K that I am, so yes I DO MIND!)

Tom

They won't say "thanks" when they send the property tax and inventory tax bill either.  :D

If the city needs some "reconstruction" wood, remember the $3000.   :D :D :D

Is that building on 441 in close proximity to the old Ice House?

Don_Papenburg

And guess what ?    Next year ,because your property is not an eyesore you have improved it making it worth more .   Your realestate tax will double  >:( ??? >:(
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Tom,

I am three blocks or so east of the old Ice House.

Don,

You are at least the third person in as many days to say almost the same thing!

Don_Papenburg

It is a sad state of affairs .  My tax went up 20dollars an acre and I haven't beutified my place.  >:(    I hate RE tax.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Looks like we will make the deadline.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Custom sawyer showed up, wished us luck, and made a hasty retreat.
He mumbled something about,  "not wantun to hold up men that are tryin ta work."
More of Tom's and DanG's wisdom musta rubbed off on Custom S. than
on me, since I was the one still moving lumber, as he drove off.

Today I had eight guys working, counting myself,  on the beeyootifeekayshun project.
All the lumber is in that's going in.  One lone pile is still drying and will have a nice
skirt made from silt barrier to make it perdee, too, of course.  Today's hours
bring the total up to way too much.  Just the special work days come up to 224 hours
on just the moving of lumber. (No it is not really organized.  It's just out of city sight lines.)

All that's left is little stuff and one pile of scraps and pile foundation boards to
haul away somewhere, and quite a bit of folded-up black six-mil plastic.

Pics to follow.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

They say that  a picture is worth a thousand words.

Well the next one I post has cost more than words.

A friend of mine in the real estate biz gave me a little hint of a
possible silver lining to this cloud of silliness, however.  He says
that, due to the high visibility of my big old building, I could probably
lease billboard space on it for a couple of big (40ft) signs.  If the monthly
figures he mentioned are anywhere close,  I could fix up the entire
place with the income of those advertisers!
;D
I might even be able to keep the city of Dublin happy.   ::)

customsawyer

Phil there is no need to talk about us folks that have learned how to word things and get out of work. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

CASE DISMISSED!

;D

And here is the "after" pic!

I couldn't resist showing off the only permitted remaining lumber drying pile.
I have named it the "Snuffy Smith Memorial Wood Pile" due to it's attractive
OSB roof complete with aluminum mobile home roof paint.   Please take note of the
skirting made from two runs of silt barrier. 

Yes, the grass does need cutting, but, as the city frequently reminded me: 
"That property is railroad property."   This time I readily agree.  Let the city cut it.

sgtmaconga

Phil i hope all your hard work pays off for you. you need a break from the city.
Measure twice cut once

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Thanks, Sarge!

I just need a break, PERIOD!   So, today, I am a takin' it!
Best way to beat this oppressive heat.

(It is good, however, to know that I don't have to worry
every time the wind gets up above 25mph and go check
those crazy wood piles!)

WDH

Good day to take a break, Hedgerow......98° F.  Brutal.

Thank You Sponsors!