iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing question on woodmizer

Started by jdtuttle, May 17, 2008, 08:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

Newbie with about 35 hours on 92 woodmizer LT40HD. I know it's not as productive to saw this way but was wondering if anyone else is doing this. I make the first cut then roll the log so the first cut is on the deck. after the second cut I'don't have to cut into the bark anymore, (On larger logs I cut dimensional lumber that I edge later). This gives me only two cuts into bark instead of three. I don't have a debarker & would beleive this will help the blades last a little longer. Any tips on sawing are appreciated.
jim
Have a great day

Dan_Shade

it probably does.  dirt and bark dull bands

A debarker pays for itself pretty quickly if you do any volume of sawing, though.  I wouldn't want to be without one.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

That's a common way to saw.  Some sawyers use this method most of the time.

I do it when the second face is too rough to clamp right (big knot, crook, etc.) and when I want to make sure the cant is square.  I don't do it to avoid the bark. 

Unless you are sawing real small logs,  you're probably leaving boards in the slabs.  When sawing grade lumber, I target a 4" open face of at least 5' long so we saw through a lot of bark. Using the 180 flip method would not help much if any. 

We have a debarker and it works well on most types of logs.  It does not work well on walnut because the bark is deep and soft and picks up everything.   
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom Sawyer

MikeH

Great way to make dimensional lumber in a hurry, sure you might leave a board, but sometimes time is money.

zopi

Depends on the size of the log and what I am trying to get out of it...since my mill is manual, I try not to roll the big ones too much..little logs usually get this treatment..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dave Shepard

I also 180° the small logs, under 10", best way to keep them square, I've found. I either saw down to 6" or 8", or flat saw to the bed and send them to the edger. I prefer to do as little edging as possible, saves steps. I have two lumber stacks, one as close to the mill as I can to stack any boards that come off, and one at the outfeed of the edger. Has saved a lot of time. I know it may be a little wasteful to get small logs across the mill as quick as possible, but at most what are you going to gain? A 2x4? I don't think it is worth the extra time, but that's just my view.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ladylake

I do 180 all the time on small logs and on big ones if they don't want to sit right at 90. I can't understant the part about waste unless your slabbing to thick which you can do at 90 also.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tom Sawyer

One thing that I like to do with small logs that makes things go a bit faster is put 2 logs on the mill side by side and cut them together.  You have to be careful to make sure that they are clamped tight.

Tom

bandmiller2

JD,usally it boils down to two things if you have a log turner and how cheap/plentifull your log supply.Manual turning of logs bites it,if your using that method usally a quarter turn at a time.With a log turner 180 is probibly the best way it gets you stable the quickest ,and if you don't slab too heavy, all your going to get from the log.Your method is quick but wastefull,I've done it before usally when someone wants timbers and I'am boxing the heart.Keep log cleaning tools close and inspect the path of each cut.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jdtuttle

Thanks for the input. A debarker is on my list but will have to wait until next year. I do have a log turner so flipping 180 isn't a problem it just takes a little time. I haven't sawn for anyone else yet & want to be ,more knowledgeable before I do. My lumber is coming out pretty good, square and consistent, (I'm a little slow though). Still learning when to change the blade at the right time (just before it starts dipping or I break a blade). I'm cutting white pine a get about 4 hours if I don't hit any junk. Just received the woodmizer dvd set in the mail & hope to learn more.
Thanks again, jim 
Have a great day

Dave Shepard

Quote from: ladylake on May 18, 2008, 04:57:28 AM
I do 180 all the time on small logs and on big ones if they don't want to sit right at 90. I can't understant the part about waste unless your slabbing to thick which you can do at 90 also.    Steve

If I flip 180 and saw to 6" and stand it up, it isn't wasteful. If I flip 180 and flat saw to the bed, that is because there was probably a 1" board that could have been saved in the edgings.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ladylake

Dave  Even if you saw all the way through (that would be sawing through bark all the time) you still wouldn't waste any wood if you didn't edge to thick.  If sawing for grade you sure could lose some grade boards off the other sides. I really like 180 for 2 x 4,6,8,10  lumber. Take a slab then a 2" turn 180 take a slab then a 2" or two and end up at 4,6,8,10, turn it up take a slab then start taking boards almost to the center turn 180 and finish. Chain turners are nice.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dave Shepard

Quote from: ladylake on May 18, 2008, 01:30:42 PM
Chain turners are nice.  Steve

You have the 70 I take it? ;D

Dave

ladylake

B20 Timberking, nice mill for the price.   Steve

zopi

was thinking of this thread a few minutes ago...hadta come in and take a union break...I'm edging and sawing 20"x16ft 2" thick flitches for trailer decking...alone. Sucks. Doncha feel bad for me?

Why is it that "flitch" seems a little light when discussing 2" lumber? Slab is much more satisfying..lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ladylake

Zopi  Hope your not putting 20" green planks on a trailer, there would be some pretty good gaps after it's dry. I,ve cut some 1-5/8 x 12" x 16' white oak for trailers, they were a killer. 20" x 2" x 16'   OUCH.   Steve

zopi

nahh..maybe I didn't say that right...I was a little tired and grouchy at that point...I was cutting the big flitches into 2x4, 6, or 8 inch lumber,,depending on what would fit...everything else that came off of them
became a 1" or 2" bean pole for mama's garden. I WISH I had some white oak to play with...I got most of hte deck out of one log..all clear no knots...the next log up wants to be the rest of the timbers for my saw shed, but I ought to get the last couple of 2x for the trailer....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dave Shepard

I was cutting hemlock 2x  16 footers last week. I figured some of the flitches and slabs were closer to 200 pound than 100. That's good for a screwed up back. ;)

Dave

bandmiller2

Zopi,isn't a flitch what you get when you drink too much coffee.Your right flitch sounds harmless and light.I love to cut oak its half way between wood and steel, but hate to get an order for 3"x12"x16' sideboards just too heavy.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

zopi

Something like that...i'm on my third cup this morning...the Navy runs on coffee.. ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: zopi on May 20, 2008, 07:31:14 AM
Something like that...i'm on my third cup this morning...the Navy runs on coffee.. ;D

Third CUP  ??? @ 0731. My how things have changed. In my day it'd be the third POT.

Herb EMC(SW) RET

zopi

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on May 20, 2008, 11:42:32 AM
Quote from: zopi on May 20, 2008, 07:31:14 AM

Third CUP  ??? @ 0731. My how things have changed. In my day it'd be the third POT.

Herb EMC(SW) RET

Shore duty...My desk doesn't need that much fuel to keep flying...OTOH, when I get back on a boat...well...they call them urns for a reason..the coffee tastes like urn..'s why we don't have tasers..just throw yer coffee on the guy...he'll die, eventually. lol

Besides...I got to work at 0700... ;D

yer not a nuke are you? <G>

FCC(SW)
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sapsucker

I must be doing something really wrong. I have put 60 hrs on my mill and am getting frustrated with the waste I am getting.  I am using my LT 28 to try and cut 6x6 cants. The problem I am having is with the diameter of the logs. Both ends are quite a bit different is diameter.  e.g. The tops are 24 in and the base is 37 or larger. The total length of the log is between 15 and 20 feet long.

I put the small end on the mill and do the first cut. A very small first cut at the small end to try and avoid a large waste at the big end. As you can see I have a large waste to deal with. I need the longest log possible Is there any way to avoid the waste?

work in Toronto ON
Live in Cobourg ON
Mill in Lanark County ON
Lt 28 woodmizer
2007 Case Dx40
snow shoes and chain saw

zopi

toe boards...level the center of the log, by raising the small end, take the slab, roll 90, take a slab, on the next 90 the center of the log should be level (without raising the small end)and you can start taking flitches until you get down to a square cant..then saw to your final dimension..I'm having fits getting 6" timbers out of some smallish pines..but I'm getting good at leveling the logs..lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!