iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mountain maple

Started by mountaineer, May 16, 2008, 06:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer

i could not figure out what this tree was on my property. i looked all over the net and no luck. then my mother in law was at the local junk store and bought me a tree id book for 50 cent. my wife opened it up and says "it's a mountain maple" and sure enough, she was right. anyone else have them?

Ironwood

We have them locally at certain elevations.

SW Pa.   Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

We have a maple up on the hill behind my house, not sure what it is. Has bright green stripes up the trunk when it is 2" or less in diameter. Might be striped maple? Not sure.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

I think I identified it as acer pennsylvanicum a long time ago, but not sure. It has a funny pointy leaf with three sharp points. ::) Yeah, I used to study arboriculture, can't you tell by my excellent leaf terminology? ::)  :-\

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

Mountain maple = Acer spicatum
Striped maple = Acer pensylvanicum :)

We have them both at higher elevations, but striped maple is by far the more common of the two.  It's distinguished from mountain maple by the prominent white stripes on the green bark on the younger stems.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Both grow here everywhere with good soil drainage. But I find mountain maple indicates water nearby the surface. It's funny about some hills here, they will have spring holes weeping water everywhere and some are dry and rocky. Will find mountain in cedar forest here, but not striped. Striped maple will grow almost big enough for pulpwood. I think it would be a cool flower garden tree.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mountaineer

i too have springs everywhere,  along with the mountain maple. i have not seen any striped yet.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Our striped maples just finished blooming here a bit north of Sparta, the flame azaleas and laurel are turning on.

This is a Va Tech fact sheet on mountain maple. I don't know it, have to keep my eyes open.
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROLOGY/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=354

SwampDonkey

I think I read somewhere that it is difficult to transplant striped maple, but I could be dreaming.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

This is about as big as I've seen mountain maple up here, cap for scale.

mountaineer

upon closer examination, i think all the mountain maples are actually striped. i will take some pics.

SwampDonkey

Most mountain maple around here grow in the form of alders in clumps and the stems come up like 'J's. The stripe maple is usually a straight stem like the tree forms of maple.

Thank You Sponsors!