iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fine Forum Friends

Started by WDH, May 16, 2008, 11:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I have benefited immensely from my association with The Forestry Forum, mostly intellectually, but sometimes materially. 

Case in point:  Metalspinner graciously sent me a piece of oak burl.  I showed it to Dodgy Loner.  I gave Dodgy a piece as he is a wood turner.  Guess what?  I got some of it back as a very nice surprise ;D.  Here it is.

It is a wooden mallet made from Metalspinner's oak burl.  The handle is hickory.  The dark striking surface is ebony, very hard, for chisel work.  The light striking surface is basswood, soft, for tapping joints together. 

It is a work of art!  Radar67 and DonK have also made me some beautiful pens.  Woodbowl gave me a woodbowl!  I am blessed to have found such good friends.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ely

metalspinner

8) 8) Now that is a mallet!  What a great surprise. 8) 

That can be used in the highest court of law for out-of-line attorney's.  It might put a hole through the desk, though. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

getoverit

Man o man that is impressive!! Would be a well used tool in my shop too. Congrats to all who were involved with this one.

GREAT post!!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

Don K

:o :o 8) 8) That is nice Danny!   Dodgy, that is some fine work. Too beautiful to strike anything with.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

That there is a might nice looking mallet. I'm with Don on this, about the only thing I would want that striking is "up a conversation". ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ironstumper

Makes me wanna replace the burnt out motor on my shopsmith and give something a try myself.....Oh well maybe after I finally saw up the 80+ logs sittin in my yard for my barn.........
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

WDH

Ironstumper, we will be awaiting the pics ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Hope you get plenty of use out of that mallet, WDH.  Whether you use it as a beater or a paperweight is up to you ;).  I personally have no reservations about using beautiful tools for their intended purpose.  The dents and dings just add to the memories.  The bulk of that oak burl should be finished later today.  Pictures will follow, of course :).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

That oak burl is being subjected to some special use :).

Dodgy Loner

Finished it up this evening.  My camera is at my office, so I will have to take pictures tomorrow ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

SwampDonkey

Nice mallet ya got there WDH.  ;D I'd be afraid of hitting anything and busting the ebony and basswood to smithereens, unless I'm just tapping a wood chisel. smiley_headscratch OHHHH!  smiley_lit_bulb I guess it's not meant to pound 6 inch spiral spikes. ;)

Great work Dodgy and nice burl wood metalspinner.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Man that is one nice mallet!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 19, 2008, 05:14:02 AM
smiley_headscratch OHHHH!  smiley_lit_bulb I guess it's not meant to pound 6 inch spiral spikes. ;)

SD,  you need a mallet made from Ferrous ironus variety metallica :D

As far as wooden mallets go, this one will be hard to beat!

Dodgy Loner

Here are the pics of my recently completed project - a red oak burl bowl.  10.5" in diameter and 3.25" tall.  Metalspinner shipped the wood to WDH, who gave it to me.  The beauty of the wood makes me look like more of a craftsman than I really am :D.  We will be auctioning off the bowl to support the Forestry Forum.  I have arranged with Jeff to list it this on Sunday, but anyone who reads the woodworking thread will be getting a sneak preview!

Mooseherder

That bowl is beautiful DL. :) 8) 8)

I think it could be heading south. ;D

WDH

Wouch!  That is some nice ;D. 

Metalspinner, nothing like a team project, eh?  Without your kindness in supplying the burl and Dodgy's kindness in doing the beautiful turning, where would we be ???. 

That bowl sure would look nice sitting in a special place in my house :).

SwampDonkey

Sure is nice burl and the turning don't hurt it none. ;) Nice little turners mark on the underside to.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

Nice job, Dodgy  8)

I bet that was some fun turning it  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dodgy Loner

Thanks for the compliments!  It was very fun to turn, probably the most spectacular wood I've ever had the pleasure of using.  It was a little tricky when it got thin, due to the large voids, but that's something you expect when turning burlwood.  The mark on the bottom is for my initials - J.A.T.

Norm

Now that is some beautiful work DL! smiley_thumbsup

metalspinner

That is a wonderful looking bowl, Dodgy!  That shape and form look just right with that burl.

That wood is pretty hard, eh? ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

Cuts like butter with sharp tools ;).  I always prefer to turn harder woods, because they leave less tearout, which means less sanding.  I could turn that oak burl all day :)

Thank You Sponsors!