iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adjusting Kohler carb on a 17hp Magnum engine.

Started by Dave Shepard, May 15, 2008, 05:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

We are trying to get one of my grandfathers older Cub Cadets running but are having trouble with the carb adjustment. It seems to combust in a reliable fashion, but won't run without the choke on. I suspect it needs a carb cleaning, but some of the other in house mechanics are busy adjusting screws, to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John Bartley

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 15, 2008, 05:12:04 PM
but won't run without the choke on.
Dave

Running with artificial richness (choke on) can hide more than just fuel troubles, but most of the time the kit that you've already suggested solves the problem.

cheers
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Dave Shepard

I cleaned out the carb and found a big glob of something around the end of the fuel needle. It's back together. It runs well with no choke at full throttle, but surges just a bit. Doesn't want to idle though without a little choke. I am guessing maybe the air screw is out too far? DanG the grass just keeps growing, even while your working on the mower. It's got no sympathy. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

olyman

should have a low idle fuel adjustment screw---and a high  idle fuel screw----the high idle needs adjusment----with it the engine wide open, turn the screw in, till it starts missing. back out till it smooths out, then 1/2 turn more open.

Dave Shepard

There are two adjustment screws, one that goes down into the fuel bowl, and the other above the throttle near the intake port on the engine. I can get it to run full throttle just fine, but not idle. It's a Walbro carb. Thanks, I'll look into it more tomorrow after work.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!