iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did I get took?

Started by dail_h, June 03, 2003, 07:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

One more minor inconvienence thi week,the electric fuel pump in the main tank on my 95 Ford pickup quit on Sat nightin the middle of a downpou.No big deal you say,well the other tank has a leak so no fuel in it and to boot I didn't know what was wrong until after work on   Sunday. Got it out of shop today,bill$371.05   Ain't that a little high,or am I just cheap????
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

That's more than I would give for the whole Ford. :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

DanG it Dail, that sounds like the sort of thing that happens to me!  :-/  Just as sure as my backup system is down, the primary craps out.

371 for a fuel pump?  That's why I do my own work. I make about $180 a day before taxes. If I have a repair that is gonna cost more than that, I take the day off and fix it myself. I'm waaaaaayyyyyy too cheap to pay someone to do stuff I could do myself. ;D

Why do they put the fuel pumps in the tank, anyway? Seems a lot simpler to mount it outside the tank in the first place.  :P  I guess they save about 3 cents per truck.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Nope, you didn't get took. To replace a fuel pump that is in the gas tank it's over $300 usually.  I agree with DanG though. I remember when the fuel pump was cam driven and it quit working, I'd buy a kit for $5, unscrew about 20 screws, take out the old diaphram and put in the new one, screw the screws back in and be off and running. To replace the fuel pump was only to remove the fuel lines, two bolts, pull the old pump off, put the new one on making sure the lever was under the cam, bolt it on and hook up the fuel lines. Putting the pumps in the tank was one STUPID idea.  If you ever run out of gas, the pump in the tank will suck in any debris or sand in your tank and won't last long after that. >:(  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sawwood

Dail_h thats about right for installing a fuel pump in a gas
 tank. Our Jeeps have it in the tank and it cost about 450
 to install. I don't know about Ford but ours has the sending
 unit for the fuel gage in with the pump as one unit. No to
 bad to fix it the tank is dry but a pain if full.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Frickman

$371.05 sounds a little high to me too. Was it a dealer or independent shop? And did you have to get a tow? The fuel pump couldn't have listed more than $75.00 to $100.00, so $300.00 just to drop the tank and change the fuel pump. It sounds like you did the trouble shooting too.

I don't like these in tank fuel pumps either. Just this morning my little VW Jetta had one fail. Two miles after filling the gas tank. Luckily it was just a block downhill to a cousin's house in town, so I left it there. Had things to do at home. Maybe I'll get to it this week, but I sure am not looking forward to dropping the tank.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

johnjbc

They went to an in tank for safety reasons. When the diaphragm that Charlie talked about replacing leaks, gas runs out, and can cause a fire or pollute the environment.  ::)  ::)Got a used one for  my 87 Dodge Aries for $65.  :D ;D
Not bad a job after you get the tank drained and off.
Was caused by taking the plates off and letting the car set for a couple years. 8) 8)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

redpowerd

dispite the minor inconvienences that accompany old vehicles, like reliability, for one, i enjoy driving and fixin em.    im never in too much of a hurry that i need a super reliable vehicle to get me here and there. if sumpthin breaks, it gets fixed with old or new parts, dependin on the job.          it seems that when new cars break, it'll be the simplest thing, but the hardest to find. ive got a fleet of jeeps for all sorts of farm and forest tasks, most from the 50s and 60s, they all start and run like a top, but ive got a 95 chevy pickup that needs some 400 dollar computer part, or wire, or sendin unit, that i couldnt touch or afford to have someone touch.      im content with fillin the toolbox in the jeep according to the distance i expect to drive. :D       theres some kind of sick therapy involved in wrapping yourself around the motor, under the hood in the pouring rain, on the side of the road, flashlight in teeth, dropping tools in the mud, bustin this and that just to get to that treestand 5 miles away...........................ahh, relaxing
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

OneWithWood

This past summer I had to have the fuel pump and tank switch replaced on my '86 F250.  I could only get the part through a Ford dealer.  It was a one hour standard labor job so I let them do the work.  Cost me $374.43.

Fla.  I wouldn't sell this truck unless I could buy another Ford just like it.  I have abused this thing to no end and short of running out of gas or some other problem of my own creation it has never let me down.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ohsoloco

Frickman, what year is your Jetta?  My '88 VW Fox had the fuel pump mouted outside the tank right next to the fuel filter  :)

shopteacher

Fuel pump went in one of our Taurus's and the bill was over 300.00.  Ford wasn't dumb for putting the fuel pump in the tank. How many people do you suppose wants to handle that job on their own now?  Keeps their mechanics busy.  I have a 98 F150 pickup that the cargo light stays on, the interior light stays light till your almost to where your going and the DanG  key dinger doesn't stop unless you remove the key. I've been told its a switch or relay in the passenger door. Anyone know anything about this and what it cost to repair? >:(
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Furby

Shopteacher,
 Not sure, but look for a little push button along the door frame. It should have a nut or just a screw holding it. If you find it, find one on the other door and see if they are both pushing in and out properly. Sometimes they get gummed up or rusty. If you can't find it then maybe you have a new fangled pile of ####, and I guess I can't help you.

I'll try to keep this short but I have a 1989 Ford Probe that I LOVE. I got it from my brother and had to put in a new clutch. After doing a lot of work on it and driving it for a few years, I decided I was going to drive it across the country. It had already made it to Florida, S. Carolina on another trip, made it up to Maine and down to Ground Zero after 9/11, I had taken it to the U.P. on several trips as well as back and forth across the state many, many times. I think I can spend two weeks during the Christmas holiday and drive out west. ;) Well after making it to The Grand Canyon, I lost a headlight in the middle of a snow storm in the dark, no big deal. Made it to Redwood National Park and lost the other headlight in a rain storm, no big deal. That's why I carry a map with all the Wal-Marts on it. ;)
 Well after a great trip I headed for home. 10pm, doing 80mph, in yet another rain storm, the lights are dimming. I pulled of and looked it over and decided to try and make it to the next town 10 - 15 miles down the highway. A mile later no power. :o Well a car can't run with out power, so I wasn't going anyplace but to sleep. :D I blew my alternator. After hiking down the highway the next morning, in the rain of course ::), a state trooper gave me a ride into town and dropped me off at not one but two auto shops.
 Well the 1st place didn't have an alternator but could get one after the new year. Note: this was the Saturday before New Years Eve, Monday. :o The 2nd place had just what I needed, only $165 plus taxes. :o
 Next question do you know any one who will put it in? This guy right here, he does that. No, not me I have the day off the fellow replies. >:(
 Any way they let me have my car towed to their parking lot and charged my battery while I changed the alternator, in the rain, OF COURSE.
 By the way have any of you ever changed an alternator that HAS to come out the bottom, but has negative 1 inch of room to take it out?? It took about three hours with the tools I had with me and the rain to help me out a bit. I got done just as the auto shop was going to close, got a bite to eat and got a few miles behind me. I did almost a fuul 1000 miles on Sunday, and pulled into the driveway at 9:55 pm on Monday night, a full 5 minutes before I had planned to get home at the start of the trip.  ;D  8) 8) 8)
  Anyways I guess it wasn't such a short story. ::) Stay tuned for trip #2 out west last fall in the same car. ;D ;D ;D
                        Furby

Fla._Deadheader

OWW,  :D :D ;) :)  I just ain't a Ford man. :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ohsoloco

Furby, what kind of engine is in that probe?  I think the newer ones have mitsubishi engines in 'em, but don't know about the older ones.  I changed the alternator on my brother's mustang 302...that was such a simple procedure.  Just wish they could all be that easy  ::)

Furby

It's got a Ford/Mazda 4cyl. 2.2 liter. I know it's an old piece of junk, but I love that car. The thing is I only like the body style of the 89.
My Explorer's alternator is right on top, so is my brother's Lemans, and my mom's VW, and so on.
 It's no fun having to take the wheel off and crawl under the disc while only your tiny little screw jack is holding up the car and THEN yanking on the wrench to get the bolts loose. If that jack had slipped, you all would have two of me. ;D ;D
  Anybody ready for trip #2? I try to get it on here soon, but it's getting late,I need to be up at 4am.

Frickman

ohsoloco,

I think my VW is about an 86. I'm not sure, it's just a little old car I run to town in. It was raining again today, so maybe I'll go look at it tommorow. I'll have to look and see if the pump is outside the tank. My luck, it won't be. A few weeks ago, the starter went bad. We got 114,000 miles out of the original so I'm happy. The problem was you have to remove the right axle to take out the starter. It definitely wasn't a side of the road repair. Luckily it quit here at home so I had all my jacks and tools. The little old car is a good runner, you just have to take it half apart to fix anything.

Frickman
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

ohsoloco

I wish I never would've sold my old VW Fox, I just loved that car!  Instead of renting an apartment in Lock Haven my sophomore year in college I bought that car off of my brother and commuted the rest of my college career.  It had about 92,000 miles on it when I bought it from him.  It wasn't a week after I bought it that the clutch went out on it (my brother never could drive a standard very well)  >:(   Other than that, just upkeep (tires, shocks, filters, oil, etc).  I took it to Portland, Maine a few years ago to visit a friend of mine.  After doing about 75 most of the way (I wasn't too sure, the speedometer didn't work right...but I could tell from the tach), my tach got stuck at about 3200 rpm from sitting there for hours on end.   I sold it to my cousin about a year and a half ago with 172,000 miles on it.  Would've got a lot more than that out of it, but he beat the crap out of it...i sure do miss that car   :'(    Lotta good times in that little thing  ;)

Frickman, my fuel pump was beside the rear passenger side wheel, I think right in front of the gas tank.

DanG

What's to keep a feller from putting an external fuel pump on to replace an internal one? Seems easy if the internal one don't block the passage of the fuel...just hook up the hose and transfer the wires to the new one. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

DanG electric fuel pump!

ohsoloco

:D :D :D

I've never even looked under my Ford to see how many fuel pumps are under there.  My '96 F-150 has dual tanks, but I don't know if it has a pump mounted in each tank, or just one pump for both tanks   ???

DanG

My '88 F350 has a supply pump inside each tank, feeding a pressure pump mounted forward on the left frame member. I spose your 96 would be the same.

J_T

Have seen some guys on Chevy trucks take a hole saw and cut a hole right over the pump area for the next time the have to replace the pump might work on a Ford too. ???
Jim Holloway

redpowerd

i think them newfangled fuel injection machines have to pressurize the fuel to a certian point before arrivin to the injectors.  ill take my pile of holley two bangers anyday over that high pressure stuff. had a 92 merc cougar that i fought + fought with till i broke down and went to town to get the tool just to disconnect the fuel lines.  that car sits in the barn with a blown head gasket(3rd) ???
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

ohsoloco

What kinda tool is that, red?  A while ago I was going to replace the fuel filter in my truck (up under the frame on the driver's side), but can't get the DanG fuel lines off of the fuel filter.  The new filter just has a tube coming out of each side of the filter with a little lip on each one..almost like the fuel line would go on with a coupler type connection, but I can't figger it out  ???

DanG

It is just a little set of plastic sleeves that slip inside the connector to release it. They're about 5 or 10 bucks at AutoZone, etc. :)

Thank You Sponsors!