iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did I get took?

Started by dail_h, June 03, 2003, 07:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

One more minor inconvienence thi week,the electric fuel pump in the main tank on my 95 Ford pickup quit on Sat nightin the middle of a downpou.No big deal you say,well the other tank has a leak so no fuel in it and to boot I didn't know what was wrong until after work on   Sunday. Got it out of shop today,bill$371.05   Ain't that a little high,or am I just cheap????
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

That's more than I would give for the whole Ford. :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

DanG it Dail, that sounds like the sort of thing that happens to me!  :-/  Just as sure as my backup system is down, the primary craps out.

371 for a fuel pump?  That's why I do my own work. I make about $180 a day before taxes. If I have a repair that is gonna cost more than that, I take the day off and fix it myself. I'm waaaaaayyyyyy too cheap to pay someone to do stuff I could do myself. ;D

Why do they put the fuel pumps in the tank, anyway? Seems a lot simpler to mount it outside the tank in the first place.  :P  I guess they save about 3 cents per truck.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Nope, you didn't get took. To replace a fuel pump that is in the gas tank it's over $300 usually.  I agree with DanG though. I remember when the fuel pump was cam driven and it quit working, I'd buy a kit for $5, unscrew about 20 screws, take out the old diaphram and put in the new one, screw the screws back in and be off and running. To replace the fuel pump was only to remove the fuel lines, two bolts, pull the old pump off, put the new one on making sure the lever was under the cam, bolt it on and hook up the fuel lines. Putting the pumps in the tank was one STUPID idea.  If you ever run out of gas, the pump in the tank will suck in any debris or sand in your tank and won't last long after that. >:(  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sawwood

Dail_h thats about right for installing a fuel pump in a gas
 tank. Our Jeeps have it in the tank and it cost about 450
 to install. I don't know about Ford but ours has the sending
 unit for the fuel gage in with the pump as one unit. No to
 bad to fix it the tank is dry but a pain if full.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Frickman

$371.05 sounds a little high to me too. Was it a dealer or independent shop? And did you have to get a tow? The fuel pump couldn't have listed more than $75.00 to $100.00, so $300.00 just to drop the tank and change the fuel pump. It sounds like you did the trouble shooting too.

I don't like these in tank fuel pumps either. Just this morning my little VW Jetta had one fail. Two miles after filling the gas tank. Luckily it was just a block downhill to a cousin's house in town, so I left it there. Had things to do at home. Maybe I'll get to it this week, but I sure am not looking forward to dropping the tank.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

johnjbc

They went to an in tank for safety reasons. When the diaphragm that Charlie talked about replacing leaks, gas runs out, and can cause a fire or pollute the environment.  ::)  ::)Got a used one for  my 87 Dodge Aries for $65.  :D ;D
Not bad a job after you get the tank drained and off.
Was caused by taking the plates off and letting the car set for a couple years. 8) 8)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

redpowerd

dispite the minor inconvienences that accompany old vehicles, like reliability, for one, i enjoy driving and fixin em.    im never in too much of a hurry that i need a super reliable vehicle to get me here and there. if sumpthin breaks, it gets fixed with old or new parts, dependin on the job.          it seems that when new cars break, it'll be the simplest thing, but the hardest to find. ive got a fleet of jeeps for all sorts of farm and forest tasks, most from the 50s and 60s, they all start and run like a top, but ive got a 95 chevy pickup that needs some 400 dollar computer part, or wire, or sendin unit, that i couldnt touch or afford to have someone touch.      im content with fillin the toolbox in the jeep according to the distance i expect to drive. :D       theres some kind of sick therapy involved in wrapping yourself around the motor, under the hood in the pouring rain, on the side of the road, flashlight in teeth, dropping tools in the mud, bustin this and that just to get to that treestand 5 miles away...........................ahh, relaxing
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

OneWithWood

This past summer I had to have the fuel pump and tank switch replaced on my '86 F250.  I could only get the part through a Ford dealer.  It was a one hour standard labor job so I let them do the work.  Cost me $374.43.

Fla.  I wouldn't sell this truck unless I could buy another Ford just like it.  I have abused this thing to no end and short of running out of gas or some other problem of my own creation it has never let me down.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ohsoloco

Frickman, what year is your Jetta?  My '88 VW Fox had the fuel pump mouted outside the tank right next to the fuel filter  :)

shopteacher

Fuel pump went in one of our Taurus's and the bill was over 300.00.  Ford wasn't dumb for putting the fuel pump in the tank. How many people do you suppose wants to handle that job on their own now?  Keeps their mechanics busy.  I have a 98 F150 pickup that the cargo light stays on, the interior light stays light till your almost to where your going and the DanG  key dinger doesn't stop unless you remove the key. I've been told its a switch or relay in the passenger door. Anyone know anything about this and what it cost to repair? >:(
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Furby

Shopteacher,
 Not sure, but look for a little push button along the door frame. It should have a nut or just a screw holding it. If you find it, find one on the other door and see if they are both pushing in and out properly. Sometimes they get gummed up or rusty. If you can't find it then maybe you have a new fangled pile of ####, and I guess I can't help you.

I'll try to keep this short but I have a 1989 Ford Probe that I LOVE. I got it from my brother and had to put in a new clutch. After doing a lot of work on it and driving it for a few years, I decided I was going to drive it across the country. It had already made it to Florida, S. Carolina on another trip, made it up to Maine and down to Ground Zero after 9/11, I had taken it to the U.P. on several trips as well as back and forth across the state many, many times. I think I can spend two weeks during the Christmas holiday and drive out west. ;) Well after making it to The Grand Canyon, I lost a headlight in the middle of a snow storm in the dark, no big deal. Made it to Redwood National Park and lost the other headlight in a rain storm, no big deal. That's why I carry a map with all the Wal-Marts on it. ;)
 Well after a great trip I headed for home. 10pm, doing 80mph, in yet another rain storm, the lights are dimming. I pulled of and looked it over and decided to try and make it to the next town 10 - 15 miles down the highway. A mile later no power. :o Well a car can't run with out power, so I wasn't going anyplace but to sleep. :D I blew my alternator. After hiking down the highway the next morning, in the rain of course ::), a state trooper gave me a ride into town and dropped me off at not one but two auto shops.
 Well the 1st place didn't have an alternator but could get one after the new year. Note: this was the Saturday before New Years Eve, Monday. :o The 2nd place had just what I needed, only $165 plus taxes. :o
 Next question do you know any one who will put it in? This guy right here, he does that. No, not me I have the day off the fellow replies. >:(
 Any way they let me have my car towed to their parking lot and charged my battery while I changed the alternator, in the rain, OF COURSE.
 By the way have any of you ever changed an alternator that HAS to come out the bottom, but has negative 1 inch of room to take it out?? It took about three hours with the tools I had with me and the rain to help me out a bit. I got done just as the auto shop was going to close, got a bite to eat and got a few miles behind me. I did almost a fuul 1000 miles on Sunday, and pulled into the driveway at 9:55 pm on Monday night, a full 5 minutes before I had planned to get home at the start of the trip.  ;D  8) 8) 8)
  Anyways I guess it wasn't such a short story. ::) Stay tuned for trip #2 out west last fall in the same car. ;D ;D ;D
                        Furby

Fla._Deadheader

OWW,  :D :D ;) :)  I just ain't a Ford man. :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ohsoloco

Furby, what kind of engine is in that probe?  I think the newer ones have mitsubishi engines in 'em, but don't know about the older ones.  I changed the alternator on my brother's mustang 302...that was such a simple procedure.  Just wish they could all be that easy  ::)

Furby

It's got a Ford/Mazda 4cyl. 2.2 liter. I know it's an old piece of junk, but I love that car. The thing is I only like the body style of the 89.
My Explorer's alternator is right on top, so is my brother's Lemans, and my mom's VW, and so on.
 It's no fun having to take the wheel off and crawl under the disc while only your tiny little screw jack is holding up the car and THEN yanking on the wrench to get the bolts loose. If that jack had slipped, you all would have two of me. ;D ;D
  Anybody ready for trip #2? I try to get it on here soon, but it's getting late,I need to be up at 4am.

Frickman

ohsoloco,

I think my VW is about an 86. I'm not sure, it's just a little old car I run to town in. It was raining again today, so maybe I'll go look at it tommorow. I'll have to look and see if the pump is outside the tank. My luck, it won't be. A few weeks ago, the starter went bad. We got 114,000 miles out of the original so I'm happy. The problem was you have to remove the right axle to take out the starter. It definitely wasn't a side of the road repair. Luckily it quit here at home so I had all my jacks and tools. The little old car is a good runner, you just have to take it half apart to fix anything.

Frickman

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

ohsoloco

I wish I never would've sold my old VW Fox, I just loved that car!  Instead of renting an apartment in Lock Haven my sophomore year in college I bought that car off of my brother and commuted the rest of my college career.  It had about 92,000 miles on it when I bought it from him.  It wasn't a week after I bought it that the clutch went out on it (my brother never could drive a standard very well)  >:(   Other than that, just upkeep (tires, shocks, filters, oil, etc).  I took it to Portland, Maine a few years ago to visit a friend of mine.  After doing about 75 most of the way (I wasn't too sure, the speedometer didn't work right...but I could tell from the tach), my tach got stuck at about 3200 rpm from sitting there for hours on end.   I sold it to my cousin about a year and a half ago with 172,000 miles on it.  Would've got a lot more than that out of it, but he beat the crap out of it...i sure do miss that car   :'(    Lotta good times in that little thing  ;)

Frickman, my fuel pump was beside the rear passenger side wheel, I think right in front of the gas tank.

DanG

What's to keep a feller from putting an external fuel pump on to replace an internal one? Seems easy if the internal one don't block the passage of the fuel...just hook up the hose and transfer the wires to the new one. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

DanG electric fuel pump!

ohsoloco

:D :D :D

I've never even looked under my Ford to see how many fuel pumps are under there.  My '96 F-150 has dual tanks, but I don't know if it has a pump mounted in each tank, or just one pump for both tanks   ???

DanG

My '88 F350 has a supply pump inside each tank, feeding a pressure pump mounted forward on the left frame member. I spose your 96 would be the same.

J_T

Have seen some guys on Chevy trucks take a hole saw and cut a hole right over the pump area for the next time the have to replace the pump might work on a Ford too. ???
Jim Holloway

redpowerd

i think them newfangled fuel injection machines have to pressurize the fuel to a certian point before arrivin to the injectors.  ill take my pile of holley two bangers anyday over that high pressure stuff. had a 92 merc cougar that i fought + fought with till i broke down and went to town to get the tool just to disconnect the fuel lines.  that car sits in the barn with a blown head gasket(3rd) ???
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

ohsoloco

What kinda tool is that, red?  A while ago I was going to replace the fuel filter in my truck (up under the frame on the driver's side), but can't get the DanG fuel lines off of the fuel filter.  The new filter just has a tube coming out of each side of the filter with a little lip on each one..almost like the fuel line would go on with a coupler type connection, but I can't figger it out  ???

DanG

It is just a little set of plastic sleeves that slip inside the connector to release it. They're about 5 or 10 bucks at AutoZone, etc. :)

woodmills1

just tonight I talked to my friend Henry Ford, really his name is ritchie but he is so good with cars!  :D  He works as a mechanic for toyota, but has a chevy van to tow his trailer.  He said the fuel pump on the van costs $295, so a repair bill might run to 600.  yikes!
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

redpowerd

DanG, right again.  theres this little spring in there that needs to be slid back, and the clip goes over it, i think. been years.  anyway i was in there with picks and screwdrivers, tryin not to tear it up or get frustrated, hours later i spend 5 bucks or so for this plastic junk that slipped it right off LIKE MAGIC
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Furby

O.K. here we go trip #2.

Let's start spring of 2002.
 I started out 2002 with a new altenator in my Probe and didn't have any more problems for a little while.
 Then I got a leak in the radiator, no problem I'll dump in a little
sealer. Didn't stop the leak, maybe a little more. Nope, still leaking.
 If I get up early, I can fill the radiator before I leave for work, a 9 mile trip. Then I need to fill up again before I leave work. No problem, as long as I don't forget.
 After a few weeks of this and not having the cash for a new radiator I got some super heavy duty sealer for trucks. ;) I only used half a bottle because it's only a car. ;) ;) Anyways the car is not running very good and coming REAL close to over heating due to the fact that the heavy duty sealer didn't work and I keep running out of coolant.
 Well as you all guessed by now, I overheated and blew the head gasket. >:( After getting the car towed to my Grandparents house (where we do all our car work-hey, he has the tools for the job ;D) I was not sure what to do with car, I LOVE it but it will cost MONEY to fix.
 O.k. I have the week off during the 4th of July. I took the car all apart. After getting the head off, I come to realize that the sealer had been doing it's job all along, just not at the leak. :o :o The head was pretty well clogged with sealer, thus along with no coolant the car overheated. I took the head in to be ground, $25, got a new gasket kit $120, Had the radiator fixed $80, and since everyone in my family was up at the lake, I decided to put it all back together in one smooth stroke.
 I slept in all morning on Friday (I worked 3rd shift at the time) and got started on the car at 4:30pm. After 10 hours of not having a clue to what I was doing, taking things apart and putting them back together over and over, my brother shows up just to spend the next hour irritating me. He shows up all dressed up and not once did he help me with anything, but did run his mouth the whole time.
 I got off track there for a minute, at about 3:30am after not stopping for anything other then a leak or two, the car started right up.  8)
 Due to the length of this post "The Trip" will be in the next post. ;)

Furby

Note: At this time (July 4th 2002) the Probe has a full 232k miles on it, a new alternator, starter, disc, drums, pads and shoes, rebuilt drive axles, newer tires, berings on all four wheels, as well as new hubs on the front, the radiator, a new clutch, and many other small things. The car is running great!
 Lets move ahead to August. I'm getting a little itch that says it's time to get back on the road again. Seeing hows I'm not going to make it to Alaska for the 3rd year in a row, I decided to take the rest of my time off and go out to the N. West states over the Labor Day holiday. My goal was to hit as many National Parks as possible in two weeks.
 August 31 2002 , back on the road again car is still running great.
 After crossing 11 states, and visiting 10 National Parks or Monuments, with no real car problems and just a little bit tired, I headed for home.
 On the way across Montana, on a hotter day then I have been seeing, I stopped at a rest area and fell asleep. About an hour later I woke up and got out to take a leak. On the return trip to the car I noticed coolant under the car. :o Not a good sign. I looked the car over and didn't find any place it could have come from and after checking  and filling a little low but not that low overflow tank, I decided the coolant must have been from another car, forgeting that I had been parked there for over a hour. On I went across Montana, across N. Dakota into Minnesota.
 On Saturday, I'm starting to not like Saturdays. >:( :o On Saturday about 11am I stopped and filled up the car and had a bite to eat. Got back on the road just before noon, and everything was running smoothly. The car was still running great and other then a slight vibration from one of the wheels that I found someplace in Illinois towards the start of the trip. That vibration got progressively worst, but since I could not find it or anything wrong, I didn't worry about it and decided I could limp home. I was feeling so good I had even started to think about getting home and going back to work on Sunday night. ;) I try not to think like that when I travel until I get almost home, because it is nothing but a distraction that I don't want. Just before 1pm doing 75mph down the highway (I normally drive 85-90 when I can, but didn't need to and wasn't sure about that vibration in the wheel) the car stalls out. :o :o :o
 After trying to start it with no luck, I looked everything over and started to get the really bad feeling that I had problems. A cop stopped and helped me push the car off into the grass in case I needed to leave it, and after I convinced him that I thought it would start after it cooled down, he left. I still couldn't get it started so I hiked across the highway, jumped the fence and walked up to the only house around, which happened to be, being remodeled so no phone. I did get a number for U-haul incase I needed it, and went back to my car. Then I used a cell phone (I didn't have service but you really can call 911 from them anyways) to call for a tow. A few minutes later a State Trooper pulls up and I explaind that I had a tow truck coming.  After calling it in the Trooper drove off and along came an upset tow truck driver. :o I guess the state police got ahold of him and wanted to know what was tking so long even though it had only been anout 30-45 min.
 I had the driver take me to the U-haul place thinking that I blew another head gasket and not having all the tools or another couple of days to fix it myself, and being near 2:30pm on Saturday I wouldn't get anyone to fix it, and not really being sure WHAT was wrong with it, that I would get a price on towing it home myself.
 Now when you travel a lot, you see a lot of U-hauls with cars behind them. So I think it can't be that much, can it? The guy behind the counter says I can't have a truck and if I could, he thinks it'll be around $1200 bucks  :o but it don't matter because he can't give me a truck. Now after a now helpful tow truck driver and I try for a hour to locate some way of getting the car home,( I guess the only place to get anything in that area of St. Cloud Minn. is at U-haul, where I can't get anything ???) I asked the driver to take me back to the motel that we had passed. It shared a parking lot with a Wal-mart or something so I thought I would get a room and try and fix the car. Driver says that he can't just drop me anyplace so I have to get permission first but that he would take me to a motel where I could save a few bucks. Great motel, looked like it was full of hookers and adicts. I got permission on the basis that if I wasn't out that afternoon, I would get a room.
 After calling the only number in the phonebook that I could get any answer at by way of trucking, I got reservations for a 14' (the smallest they would let me tow with) truck and tow dolly from of all places the U-haul I just came from. After calling home several times, more then a little upset and going over the options I had, which weren't many, I called back and got the truck. I had to walk five blocks through a maze of streets to get to U-haul where the guy behind the counter wants to know why I'm back. I told him and gave him the # I had been given and he told me I couldn't have the truck! ??? ??? ??? After a half hour of arguing with the guy, he gave me the truck and told ME to go hook up the dolly. Got the dolly hooked up and the lights don't work. By now this guy is getting mad. He got the lights fixed and when I asked if he knew where I could get a winch or a come-along, he said he didn't know and walked off.

This is getting looooong, so I will finish it later. Stay tuned!
                  Furby

cut2size

Shopteacher,
There is a microswitch in both doors of your truck.  Spray wd-40 on them every once in a while and the lights will go off when you shut the door,  One of my best friends is the service manager of the local ford garage and that is how he fixed mine.  I had removed all the bulbs so that I could drive at night.  Oh, by the way, the switch is in the doorlock.  Cost to fix--< less than a penny.
David
cut2size

Frickman

A little update on my VW Jetta. Turns out there is water in the gas. Alot. I had just filled it up, and it made about a mile. Well, I've been busy all week, so I left it at my cousin's house, where it broke down. Friday morning I stop at the filling station with one of the pickups. I get a mile down the road toward home and the engine starts cutting out. Put two bottles of dry gas in and made it home. The station is about two miles down the road. Thought about it awhile. This has happened the past three or four times I've filled up, but not as bad.

Drive back to station to talk to guy working there. He's the owner's brother and has been working there for thirty years. Ask him if he's been having trouble with gas. Yea, he says, we've been pumping lots of water with our gas. I told him what happened with my two vehicles. He figured I have at least a gallon of water in the VW tank. I ask him how long they've had water in the gas, and his answer is " A good while." Well that ticked me off and I promised him I'll never be back.

My neighbor has a car trailer so we hauled the Jetta home yesterday. I've been pumping out the tank and have gotten one to two gallons of water out of a fourteen gallon tank. No wonder the car won't run. Luckily the in tank fuel pump is working good, and the in tank filter isn't clogged. Now I have to get a decent mechanic in to see if I've damaged the injector pump or injectors. I don't work on these little cars much, I'm used to bigger truck and tractor engines.

What really gets me wound up is that I've been buying nearly all my fuel from the same place for ten years, and they turn around and screw me. I spend $500 to $1000 every month on gas, diesel, and kerosene, and they could care less about me or my equipment. Now I have to find a new place to fill up. I like to use the same brand all the time, that way the engines get used to what I run. The station that ran me off is an independent station that buys from a major oil company. Anybody have any suggestions on a good brand of gasoline?

Frickman

beenthere

Frickman
Not many brands of gasoline will be much good if water is added as you have described. I would think the State of PA would have some interest in a station that is adding water, or knowingly selling a product that they admit is diluted. Maybe a weights and measures bureau, or a commerce office would take your plight. Good luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shopteacher

Thanks Cut2Size for the info. I'm definitely will try the WD40. That thing has been doing that for almost a year now and I was always going to take it to Ford to look at, but never could find the time.  I know a couple other people with the same problem and will pass the suggestion along.  If you know anyone who's drivers window is stuck open(automatic down electric) to get it up and working again take and hit the drive motor with a mallet and don't use the auto part of the window switch anymore. Friends mechanic showed me that one. These new fangled vechicles are great, aren't they?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

CHARLIE

I was cussing and discussing in-tank fuel pumps with my neighbor, who is a certified back-yard mechanic. Errrr ahhh, well.....he's a back-yard mechanic anyway.  He said that he had heard that the reason the Enjunears put them in the fuel tank was because they were high pressure pumps and tended to run hot. By putting them into the gasoline, they kept cooler. He said that if you run low on gas, the pump will overheat and won't last too long after that.  I DonT see why an electric fuel pump placed outside of the tank wouldn't work. DanG if it wouldn't be worth a try. Maybe mount it in the engine compartment.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Furby

Well guess what? My dad blew the fuel pump in his Buick, Friday. >:(  Go figure! ;D ;D

Frickman

beenthere,

Yes, we have a Bureau of Weights and Measures in PA. The problem is getting anybody to listen to you. In PA they are too busy handing out welfare checks to pay attention to real problems. Also, I live in a relatively small community where everybody knows everybody else, so it can create some real problems if you report someone. This station's business is going downhill fast, as there are major problems within the family who owns and runs it. I don't think they will be in business much longer. I plan on buying fuel elsewhere.

My mechanic came by this evening and took a look at the car. I had already managed to drain the tank, flush out the fuel lines, change the filter, and check the spark plugs. We put some fresh gas in along with a bottle of dry gas. With some help from a can of ether the engine started and tried to run. It would run on two or maybe three cylinders on full throttle but stall when you left off the gas. He figured there is a bad injector or two, and will stop by tomorrow evening to look at it again.

All this trouble because someone tried to rip me off.  I still have an account balance at the station, and every cost I incur is coming off what I pay them. In the end they might owe me money.

Frickman

Frickman

A little update on my little Jetta. We finally got it back on the road this week. The water in the gas rusted the fuel injectors completely shut. The cheapest new injectors I could find were $50.00 each at NAPA. Let the car sit all winter in the garage and got lucky this spring. I met a guy who was parting out a VW and I did some horse trading for some good used ones. Put them in the car, bled everything out, and thar she goes! Makes me feel better not to have a machine broken down.

The service station that sold me the bad fuel is still in business, and still selling bad fuel. I don't know how, but they are. They're keeping the local garages in business with repair work though. I was talking to a buddy the other day that has a fleet of road tractors, and he has an account at this station. He was telling me about having to change fuel filters more then he used to. I told him about my experiences so he is considering looking elsewhere for fuel.

old3dogg

Yep! You can hook up an outside fuel pump.
My first car with a fuel pump in the tank was a 75 toyota.
It quit working one night on the 40 mile drive home from my girlfreinds house.After a walk to the only house nearby a farmer said he could take the pump off his 49 ford and make it work.we removed the windsheild washer tank to have a place to mount it and the guy spliced into the gas line to the carb,hot wired the thing into my battery and whamo!I had a fuel pump that worked.The only problem was that after I shut the car off I had to hurry and pop the hood and pull the hot wire out from under the the positive term on the battery.
Drove the car like that for 2 years!
I still stop in and see that good old farmer.Great guy!

Ga_Boy

I took my wifes 01' Suburban to the Dealer for the 60K mile service.  We take all our vehicles back to the Dealer for the major service, 30K, 60K and 90K.  The vehicles seem to last lots longer.  Any way....

The emergency brake had been adjusted too tight.  This caused the shoes to eat away the drum.  New rear rotors cost $400, the labor was $350.  

Total bill $1400, that hurts.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Frickman

old3dogg, I see that you've owned a hillbilly car too. Anytime a hillbilly lends you his car it comes with special instructions.

Ga_boy, I don't want to sound like a sidewalk superintendent, but did you notice any drag on the rear brakes going down the road? Or were the brakes only dragging barely enough to wear out and you didn't notice with all that Chevy power. A cousin's wife had sort of the opposite problem. She never ran the car in reverse and use the brakes to adjust the rear drum brakes. After the shoes wore some all she had was front brakes. He was changing front pads at every oil change until he figured out the problem. Seems she was scared to back up the car and would only go places, including their driveway, where she had enough room to loop the car when she turned around.

Ga_Boy

Frickman,

We've only had it for about five months.  We didn't notice any problems until the Dealer called with the bad news :-/.  Next time I'll listen to my wife and get off the dime and buy her a new vehicle.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

rebocardo

Most places charge $50-$65 an hour, so about five hours worth of labor sounds right. Especially on a truck with rusted straps that you have to cut off or grind the heads off the bolts holding the straps. If you had a leaking second tank, it would be something to do carefully for sure  :D

re:dinging and/or lamps staying on
There is a TSB about this somewhere. I have not worked at a Ford garage since 2000, otherwise I would look it up. Most likely the switch is inside the door on the door handle latch, driver's side. Common failure on Rangers, I did not think it affected the F-150.

Frickman

I'm getting tired of used vehicles myself. Seems all I get is someones else's problems. A neighbor just traded in a Dodge diesel dually pickup about to blow it's third automatic transmission. I wouldn't want to be the guy to buy that used truck. The last repair bill was $1,500.00.

With a few exceptions I buy only new equipment for the business anymore. I'm starting to think of doing that with my personal vehicles as well.

redpowerd

agreed, we tried to get by with used equipment for a few years. the downtime cost is too high.
feilds that dont get planted dont get harvested.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Thank You Sponsors!