iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder Op's, Cable or Chain chockers

Started by Tombstone, May 14, 2008, 07:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombstone

Just wondering what you might prefer to use for pulling a hitch, cable or chains and why? ::)
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Dale Hatfield

depends on what you are logging.  On the dozer we run chains. On the skidder we run chokers. Had chains on the skidder for a spell . But dragging chains  gets old . But they work very well on small poles . Myself I would set the skidder with cable chokers and one chain slide. Or if you can figger how to set it up either or whithout  all the extra weight of having more iron hanging on it. would be great.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

jokers

Quote from: Dale Hatfield on May 14, 2008, 07:55:32 AM
...........But dragging chains  gets old .............
Depends on how much you like jaggers.  ;)

Cables are easier to shove but chains with a pin or using a chain hook works pretty well, although not quite as easy as cable. The chains don`t need to be very long or heavy. It`s also easy to roll a hitch around a stump with a chain if you need to.

Tombstone

I have been leaning towards 8' chains, not a fan of the puncture wounds..........is the weight really a factor?
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Dale Hatfield

I think it is. Not very often do i back to a hitch. I was trained  by the rule of their is 120 feet of cable use it. Dont go making higways to every tree. So  I drag lots of cable and 4 cable chokers.Small Skidder.
On the dozer. We use a chain hook  and sometimes Id say its a faster hook up. Sometime it can be a bugger to get a cable shoved under a fat one .
Chainsaw Carver

Tombstone

I do like the concept of using the winch cable to its potential.......I think I just might put that to work!  ::)

jokers

Quote from: Dale Hatfield on May 14, 2008, 09:53:41 PM
I think it is. Not very often do i back to a hitch. I was trained  by the rule of their is 120 feet of cable use it. Dont go making higways to every tree.
Not at all suggesting that you would back up to every hitch or make a highway, keyhole sliders on your mainline will pull all the chains you want. You`ll never have a chain bob out of the hook and smack ya in the kisser either.  :D  Just an alternate perspective and food for thought.

MaineLogger

I like cable chokers myself.I think it's easier hooking up and unhooking in the yard.(I used to hate hanging all those chains up after I unhooked)If your cutting nothing but big trees than chains are the way to go but,if your cutting small and average size trees too than you can't beat cables.(IMHO ;))
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

John_Haylow

I have only used the chain chokers that came with my skid winch. The chain is 5/16 square chain with a prong on the end for getting it under the log. It seems to work well for me.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

zackman1801

i would prefer to use the chains, someone told me the other day they last longer. im not sure about that because i have no experience with cable chokers. Although i did talk with the owner of the saw shop down the road and he said that alot more people have switched over to cables and that no one around here uses the chains anymore. so mabey there is a reason for it but im unsure.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Dale Hatfield

Pro
Chains never kink or bend. They hold tight.
Cons
Heavy  cant be pushed  more than a  inch or so. Have to pack 2 chain pullers around.( which must have 3 feet of hot pink flagging to be found  after you set it down) the extra for one ya cant find the one you just had. Slide hardwear weights more than a wire choker slide
Cable chokers
Pro  can be pushed under a log /minimal digging
less weight. cheaper than chains. can hook 2 togther for Large logs. can also be hooked back into mainline slide.

Con
Bend and kink,   Makes sore spots on ya hands from broken wire.
Wont hold  pulp wood stick without a doulble wrap= bent kinked choker. Also pulling stuck trucks out will wreck them. Will pop out of mainline slide when ya drive or back through a jungle of tops/brush.

Both will turn ya hands black when cutting oak. Cause ya have set your gloves down  cause  after all these years in the woods they still hinder movment. Also will cause lost time looking for lost gloves
Chainsaw Carver

zackman1801

ehh, i never take my gloves before  pulling cable, i learned that one the hard way, cut my hands up pretty good with the burrs on the cable. my gloves look like crap from keeping the on, but atleast its not my hands.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

thecfarm

I have heard that some guys like the cable because they can drop the twitch and drive off without getting off and unhooking them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

J_T

Well I use cable chokers Would like to learn how to unhook them with out getting out of the seat ??? When mine get burs I toss them .Have used mine a long time now .Soon will be running every day .We use 5/8 cable on the main line usley run three or four sliders on main line
Jim Holloway

thecfarm

I heard a quick drop will do it.But this came from the same guy that thinks making a mess in the woods to get the wood out is OK too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

J_T

Wow bet that does a back lash on the drum ??? I was crossing a wet spot once and hit the release an it kicked back on I planted the skidder right fast  ::)
Jim Holloway

Dale Hatfield

The only time I get an auto release is when I dont want it.
Chainsaw Carver

semologger

I like my cutting machine. Just carry the trees to the skidder is my way. Grapple skidder all the way. I hated pulling on the winch line. I used cable chokers when i had to. I got bite one to many times my knee got infected one time.

Tombstone

semologger,

You got an infection from the cable choker? Did it stab you deep?

semologger

My knee swelled up and was real stiff. It was sore for a long time. I went to the doctor and they gave me some medicine. When i went down to hook up the line on my knees. I put it  right on the cable and put a piece thru my pants right in my knee. It didnt take me long to get off it. I dont know how deep it went. I just didnt do it again. I got good on a grapple. But grapples dont always get were cables can.

Tombstone

Yeah most of the guys that I know of around here use Cable machines not grapples, although I have seen more and more grapples lately. I guess they all have a specific purpose.

Corley5

I've used them both and they both have their place.  I prefer them on our Fransgard skidding winch because they can be hung up out of the way.  Cable chokers on it get tangled up and stuck under the blade.  Chain chokers on a cable skidder are OK if they're sorted out and hung up after unhooking the hitch at the landing.  Otherwise they're a pain in the butt to untangle back in the woods and they are heavy.  Cable chokers are easier to get under logs for sure.  To make it easier to pull the chains under we added 16" pieces of rod to their ends.  The chains will pop too.  We used some on a 240 TJ and it would pop them if a log got hung up.  That's my experience in my area.  Cables for skidder and chains for 3pt winches  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!