iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Land Surveys

Started by Corley5, May 13, 2008, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

When measuring land from which end of a section do you start  ???  We've got possible issues with boundaries on Dad's farm.  It's on the north end of the township which is the correction line.  The top row of forties are larger in this case.  The state is putting up a timber sale which will border his back line and is measuring from the northwest corner of the section instead of the south.  They do admit that the property is longer than 1/4 mile.  Actually it's two forties.  They say it's 2668 to the back from the nw corner.  I convinced them today to measure from the sw corner of the section 2640' to Dad's back corner.  That should tell everyone more.  This was all started by our neighbor who is involved in oil exploration and has the most up to date GPS GIS satellite mapping stuff available.  He feels the half section line is off across the section and his line is 80-90' south of his old fence and ours should be 65' south and the corner 35' west of where it is now.  Complicating matters is a survey that was done several years ago when a pin was put in at Dad's corner and registered.  We feel that the surveyor just set and witnessed the pin at the old corner post without actually surveying it.  There were no traverse lines cut through the brush to indicate otherwise.  There's enough timber in dispute to pay for a survey if it comes to that.  The state owns the whole south half of the section.  Our argument is that they should measure 2640 from the south pins and we and our neighbors get what's left  :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

You need to start from a known corner or corners and subdivide the section. Has anyone reviewed the original survey notes as to what they say? Any error was usually placed in the north and west side of the township.
~Ron

WH_Conley

You got my sympathy. Got one going now.
Bill

Corley5

Our contention now is they are measuring our property from the north to the corner pin established by a survey co that we know nothing about.  They should be measuring their own land from the south to the north 2640'.  It's stated clearly in the plat maps that the state owns 320 acres in the south half of the section not half the section :)  We're waiting now to see where the 2640 mark shows up in relation to the existing pin.  This section has quarter corners on the north line, the one in dispute on the west line and the S.W. corner.  Our neighbor with the satellite equipment has also found a quarter marker on the south line consisting of a railroad spike set at about the halfway point but there's no record of it being recorded.  There are no pins on the east save for the one at the NE corner.  Billy has come up with his corners by entering the coordinates of the existing registered pins into his equipment.  I haven't talked to the owner of the eighty on the far east side but have heard from my uncle that 15 or so years ago when the state did a harvest that bordered his property he ended up with some stumpage money from the state for timber cut on his land.  So there seems to be something wrong.  The line in question is the boundary for a large block of state forest and it seems that the state would want a good registered line in place.  Depending on what the hip chain says we may have to get a survey done ourselves.  Here's a link to the 1902 plat of Wilmot Township   http://usgwarchives.org/maps/michigan/cheboygan/wilmot.jpg  Dad owns the land in sec 5 that was then owned by NC Brunt, Geo Dimick, and I Dimick.  The lower part of five all tax reverted to the state.  The top row of forties are a bit less than 42 acres. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!