iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new growth wind blowdown conundrum

Started by Lanier_Lurker, May 12, 2008, 10:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

The DanG winds we had yesterday (Sunday) have blown all sorts of new growth off the mature trees around my house.  I have yellow poplar leaf clusters (and their pretty blooms) all over the place - along with new leaves and leaflets from hickory, sweetgum, sourwood, dogwood, beech, white oak, and northern red oak.  (It is a mess I am not looking forward to cleaning up.)

The oak leaves have me puzzled.

I thought everything within "wind blowing" distance of my house was either white or northern red oak.  However, some of the red oak leaves have me wondering.  Take a look at these pictures:

Lower left leaf is northern red oak for sure, but the other two - perhaps not.

More detail on the others two leaves with deep(er) sinuses.

Closeup of the obvious northern red oak leaf on the left and the "other" leaf.

Is it possible that these other leaves are also northern red oak, or is it more likely they are scarlet oak?  If they are scarlet, I have no idea where the tree is.... :-\

woodtroll

Shade leaf and sun leaf. Both likely same tree.
Shade leaf is on the left, thicker more surface to get light under shaded conditions.
Thin leaf less surface area, located in high light (like the top of the tree)

Lanier_Lurker

Here is another close up of one of the leaves in question.

For comparison, these leaves were identified as shumard oak in an earlier post.

And these are from a scarlet oak.

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: woodtroll on May 12, 2008, 11:19:25 PM
Shade leaf and sun leaf. Both likely same tree.
Shade leaf is on the left, thicker more surface to get light under shaded conditions.
Thin leaf less surface area, located in high light (like the top of the tree)

I am familiar with the different sizes and shapes that shade leaves can have when compared to sun leaves.

However, would any northern red oak leaves ever have sinuses that deep?

WDH

LL,

Those leaves in question are scarlet.  Notice the very long petioles.................
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Lanier_Lurker

Yep, I forgot to consider that characteristic of scarlet oak leaves.  That pretty much seals it.

Now I gotta find this tree..........it must be fairly close.

Dodgy Loner

If the tree is mature, this might help: Scarlet oaks tend to have white streaks on the bark that start at 6-10' above ground level.  For northern reds, it's usually1-6' above ground level.  This is just a generalization, so exceptions are not uncommon, but it may help you pick out the culprit from among the many trunks.  Happy hunting!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!