iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fried chicken induced coma.

Started by Bibbyman, May 11, 2008, 09:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

A thunderstorm came up about 3:00pm yesterday and ended our work for the day.  About 4:00pm I told Mary I was going to drive up and get the mail.  (or box is way up the road and it was between thunderstorms).  She said while I was at it,  I may as well drive on into town and get us something to eat for supper. 

I waited around a bit then headed out.  The new grocery store on our side of town and a deli department that has Chester Fried Chicken.  They have a takeout dinner with 3 pieces of fried chicken breast strips with two sides, roll, and a drink for $4.99.  The portions are big.  They fill a three compartment takeout box.  I had them make up two dinners.  One with mashed 'taters and gravy and the other with baked potato.  Both with green beans.

I picked up the mail on the way home and soon as I got in the house we eat supper even though it was still early.

We set and watched movies all evening.  I don't think I was out for most of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. I just couldn't stay awake.

I've noticed this before. For some reason, fried chicken just puts me to sleep.  zzzz_smiley
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DR Buck

I've suffered from the same condition on occasion.   I believe it is a reaction caused by mixing inanimate objects.   (Kind of liking mixing the wrong drugs).     Two main ingredients toward the condition are large amounts of good food and TV.  The third can be almost any other object.  This is variable based on the person affected and the prevailing local conditions.   In my case it happens to be a big cushy Laz-y-boy recliner.   ;D :D :D ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

jim king

It is Turkey that puts me out cold and fast.

Roxie

My longest naps occur when the grandkids go home.   :)
Say when

Bibbyman

I've found that I shouldn't eat Chinese chicken and then try to operate machinery.   

The other day Mary was off making a delivery and son Gabe and I were sawing.  It got near noon and Gabe suggested that maybe we have Chinese food for lunch.  As it was after 11:00 and Mary wasn't back,  I called her to get a fix on her location and ETA.  It looked like it would work out just about right for her to swing by and pick up some "makes you sneeze soup" a.k.a. "hot and sour soup" and some General somebody chicken.  She did and rolled in just on time. 

I had a bowl of soup and about 1/4 the portion of the General Who's its chicken.  In no time I was wanting to nod off.  But Mary had other plans.  I had to go load something up for her to make another delivery.  Man! Was that a struggle!  But I got through it and about an hour later I was able to get back into the house and set down and let some of the effects wear off.

That stuff ought to come with a warning label!  smiley_sleeping
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

isawlogs

Have you had your blood sugar level chedked  ??? 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CLL

Actually Bibby there is a chemical(maybe atripephine) any way chicken and turkey has it and it does make you sleepy. My dad always had a different opinion of why I got sleepy, (he said lazy) after I ate. Mentioned my mothers ancestry.. :D
Too much work-not enough pay.

DR Buck

I had to resurect this topic since I recently had a relapse of "fried chicken induced comma".   This time it was southern fried chicken, tater tots and a double helping of macaroni and cheese.   I think I went unconscious 2 steps before I reached my recliner.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

clww

I had the same thing happen last night after I had meatloaf for dinner. I fell asleep in the recliner for hours. That's why I'm awake now..... ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

goose63

Any big meal warm sun shine and its nap time
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

OneWithWood

Any time I sit still for more than 5 minutes it is nap time smiley_sleeping
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

drobertson

Just came out of a cat fish coma! mercy, cold wet day and a belly of cat fish put me out..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Gary_C

There is no mystery in this sleep problem and the reason is a amino acid called L-Tryptophan that is present in all poultry and not just turkey as some believe. L-Tryptophan is also sold in medicines and herbal supplements and used as a treatment for insomnia and is also used to treat other problems as well.

So the presence of L-Tryptophan in poultry products is what makes you sleepy.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

goose63

Gary I disagree its a full belly easy chair and the tv
goose

Gary_C

Quote from: goose63 on October 16, 2014, 09:34:30 AM
Gary I disagree its a full belly easy chair and the tv

You could be right. That idea also has a name.

Postprandial somnolence (colloquially known as the itis, being on cloud food, in foodland, a food coma or carb coma) is a normal state of drowsiness or lassitude following a meal. Postprandial somnolence has two components: a general state of low energy related to activation of the parasympathetic nervous system in response to mass in the gastrointestinal tract, and a specific state of sleepiness caused by hormonal and neurochemical changes related to the rate at which glucose enters the bloodstream and its downstream effects on amino acid transport in the central nervous system.

Or it could be the lack of anything good on the TV.   ;D

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

goose63

goose

WDH

lassitude?

I like it  :D. 

I'm gonna eat me some chicken and get me some lassitude.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

And here I thought the guys out here on the rig was just lazy. We get some kind of chicken as a choice for every meal. Our parent company is named EDC (Egyptian Drilling Company). More affectionately known as every day chicken. The division I work for is named DPS (Drilling Petroleum Services), or as I like to call it, daily poultry servings.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

:D :D :D  You guys are killing me.  Sure, blame the chicken. 
Say when

LeeB

I managed to escape the chicken for lunch and had fish instead. We'll see what dinner brings. For sure chicken. I just hope the alternate is decent.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

food3 smiley_sleeping smiley_sleeping  Never underestimate the value of a few extra Zzzzzs
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!