iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for pics of your hog roaster and ideas of what didn't work

Started by Part_Timer, May 10, 2008, 11:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

I'm wanting to build a hog roaster.  I've seen several but want to see pics of as many as possible before I start in.  Is your cooker cut to be tall and narrow or cut shallow and wide?
I have the line on the following for a reasonable (cheap) price.  This will be a charcoal cooker.
Used oil tank.  Needs burnt out good.
axle
sheet metal
expanded metal
tires and rims
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

beenthere

Did you check out the one built by the Forum Members for the last 2006 piggy roast? 

There are pig roasters that don't turn the pig, and ones that do. Are you going to turn?

Check this thread..
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,20227.120.html

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Part_Timer

Thanks Beenthere that is the thread I was looking for but was typing in the wrong words in the search engine.  I'm going with the don't turn method.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

DR Buck

Here is the way I do them at my place.   It's "Cuban Style". 

Three layers of block big enough for your "butterflied" hog/pig.   
        A row of pans down the center to catch the dripping grease.       

Charcoal is placed in all four corners.  You add charcoal  a handful at a time every 30 minutes or so through the holes in the reverse direction blocks on each corner.  You can look through to the opposite corners to judge how much needs adding.  This way once it's covered, you don't have to open it until it's done and the heat don't escape.

The PIG/HOG is spread out and placed between two grates that are wired together.  The whole thing is then covered with layers of overlapping aluminum foil.    I lay a third wire grid on top of the aluminum foil to keep it from blowing off in the breeze.

For a 350 lb  pig it takes around 7 hours of roasting.   I stick an oven thermometer in the thickest part and watch the temperature.    There's a lot of info available if you "google" on "Cuban pig roast"

Then soon enough it's ready to eat.   digin_2

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DR Buck

Quote350 lb pig??

The one in the picture was in 2001.  I think it went around 140lbs.    We did a 300lb hog the following year.  I had to expand the pit size a considerable amount.    We had way to much leftovers, so we scaled back to between 150 and 200lbs.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Raider Bill

I've built and used the cuban style roaster many times with great results.
Mix yourself a tasty citus solution and keep the chest cavity full. Let it seep down into the meat.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!