iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaskan Mill Saw

Started by SwingOak, May 10, 2008, 10:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwingOak

I've been using a Granberg 24" Alaskan mill with my 262 XP, running a 24" bar with full comp chain. The saw works pretty well, but I think I'm going to need a saw with a little more power for bigger logs, and I'd like to be able to use the full width of the mill, which means a 28" bar.

I looked at a Stihl 460 today, but it was pricey - $899 with a 28" bar. I've got to admit I'm partial to Husqvarna, and so I'm wondering if a 372 XP will do the job with a full comp chain and 28" bar. Obviously I'm not going to be using the full width of the bar with a 24" mill, but milling seem to be more demanding of a saw that cross cutting.

What do you folks think?

rebocardo

What are you milling, hardwoods, pine, or cedar?

SwingOak

sawguy21

The 372 would be the minimum. In your case, little is good, more is better, and too much is just enough. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwingOak

I was milling a walnut log today, and with the tip clamp out as far as it could go without clamping on the sprocket, it just squeaked past the log butt when I cut through the center.

I burned through a tank of gas on each cut (8'3" log) too.

I suppose I could borrow one of my brother's 089's, he's got a 36" bar for one of them, but that would mean a lot of tip sticking out on the end. I'm not sure I like that idea. I also don't like the idea of borrowing tools - never have. Something goes wrong with one of those 089's, and they'd be pretty expensive to replace.

I'd rather burn up my own stuff!  ;D

logwalker

We are buying 2 Solo 681's from Bailey's to run in tandem on a 66" Granberg. Can get them for $675 each with a 2 year commercial warranty. Presently using 2 Husky 61's that are tired and they are doing a fair job. We expect to see a big improvement with the Solo's. My advice is to look outside the box. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Al_Smith

Quote from: Lurcherman on May 11, 2008, 09:37:39 PM
I I suppose I could borrow one of my brother's 089's, he's got a 36" bar for one of them, but that would mean a lot of tip sticking out on the end. I'm not sure I like that idea. I also don't like the idea of borrowing tools - never have. Something goes wrong with one of those 089's, and they'd be pretty expensive to replace.

I think you may have a typo,Stihl never made an 089 . 084,088 or 090 perhaps .

Now ,you guys do what you want to regarding milling with a chainsaw.You will no doubt find out that size is very important when doing this type of work .A 100 plus cc sized saw will zip though stuff that will wring the guts out of an 80 cc  size .

I don't do much of it myself but will say I can make about 1 foot per minute or less using a 125 cc saw in 18" oak .I tried it with a 77 cc just once.The time factor was 4 times that amount .

SwingOak

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 13, 2008, 12:06:02 PM
Quote from: Lurcherman on May 11, 2008, 09:37:39 PM
I I suppose I could borrow one of my brother's 089's, he's got a 36" bar for one of them, but that would mean a lot of tip sticking out on the end. I'm not sure I like that idea. I also don't like the idea of borrowing tools - never have. Something goes wrong with one of those 089's, and they'd be pretty expensive to replace.

I think you may have a typo,Stihl never made an 089 . 084,088 or 090 perhaps .

Now ,you guys do what you want to regarding milling with a chainsaw.You will no doubt find out that size is very important when doing this type of work .A 100 plus cc sized saw will zip though stuff that will wring the guts out of an 80 cc  size .

I don't do much of it myself but will say I can make about 1 foot per minute or less using a 125 cc saw in 18" oak .I tried it with a 77 cc just once.The time factor was 4 times that amount .

You're right, I think they are 084's. Not a typo, bad memory...  :)

SwingOak

I've got an 084 AV powerhead out in the barn. Now I just need to get a 28" bar. I forgot what a pig it is, that 084 is one big saw.

Any suggestions for an aftermarket bar?

Al_Smith

If you watch E-bay every so often a long, large Stihl mount bar pops up real reasonable .Fact is I landed a brand new 36" Windsor,Stihl mount ,with a new square chisel chain for around 45 bucks once .I actually adapted it for a 2100 Homelite and it works very well .

Thank You Sponsors!