iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12 volt motor

Started by bedway, May 09, 2008, 12:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

Ok guys and ladies, I just need some reassurance on an electrical issue. Im hooking up my 12 volt gearmotor for my power up and down on the sawhead. Im installing a fuse in the system. Should it go between the battery and switch, or between the gearmotor and switch? Also does it mater if its on the hot wire or ground?    thanks bedway

theorm

Bedway,

You definitely want to put the fuse on the hot side so pulling it will kill the whole circuit. The preferred place would be between the battery & the switch.

Electricity will go where ever it can, so if you kill the whole circuit you won't get any surprises when you think the circuit is disabled. If you fused the ground side, a short to ground would allow the motor to still operate when you think it is disabled. Be very careful.

Theo
ex-submarine electrician (BIG batteries)
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

solidwoods

He is using a dc motor with a reversing switch.
So which side would he fuse?

I think it goes before the reversing switch, + side.

Also what fuse to use?
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

bedway

The motor pulls 3 amps according to the plate. I have a 5 amp fuse.

sparks

You will want to put a circuit breaker between your switch control and your 12 volt source. You cannot fuse the hot of the motor because you are using a reverse polarity to change motor direction. You will need to raise and lower your head and see what the amp draw on the motor is and then increase the curcuit breaker by 10 amps to cover the initial amp spike when you fisrt get the head moving.
Here is a sample diagram explaining what I mean.   Thanks all and be careful out there.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!