iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How not to survive on survivor!

Started by Cedarman, May 08, 2008, 10:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

If you are a survivor show fan, you know that you never give up your power.  You do and your competitors will use your weakness against you.  It shows that if you are kind to your enemies and believe they will be kind to you in return you become the fool.  It happened to Erik tonight.  Same could happen to the United States if our leaders were to believe that being kind to our enemies will result in their being kind to us.  What a hard lesson he learned tonight.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ron Wenrich

There's a difference between being kind and being stupid.  You can be harsh and stupid and get the same results.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

I was thinking of being kind by doing what your competitors or enemies want, not being mean for meanness sake.  My point is that you do not make yourself vulnerable to your enemies in hopes that they will do what you want.  Lets get rid of all our bombs in hopes that our enemies will do the same.

Ironwood

Kinda reminds me of a saying I occasionally use, "don't mistake my kindness for weakness" His kindness was his weakness. I am a friendly type, but anyone would be mistaken to try to take advantage.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

LOGDOG

Old Eric really goofed up. It almost felt like Jeff was helping the others set up the scenario by asking them questions about the need for personal redemption. Rule #1. Personal safety comes first.  You see what happens when you set that rule aside. Bar none - that had to be the dumbest move in Survivor history.

LOGDOG

Roxie

Did you see the look on Ozzy's and James faces?!  I thought James was gonna bust his gut staying quiet.   :D

The move was beyond stupid on Eric's part, but brillant on Ciree's part.  Of the four women left, I can't help but wonder which one is going to win. 
Say when

beenthere

Hey guys...survivor is NOT real.   All directed by a Director and then taped.  If they don't get it right, tape it again.  They know who is going to "win".    Just my individual opinion... :) :)

Even American Idol has been 'discovered' to be prepared ahead of time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

We don't watch much TV in my house anymore.  We just got sick of all the fake drama.  I'm not saying the following about anyone here.  My comments are "in general"...   

[rant]
To me, it appears that Americans don't have enough drama in their lives so they feed on fake drama on the television.  "Reality TV", "Desperate Housewives", "Extreme Home Makeover (where they play up the most extreme, worst events of people's lives and display it all on TV for us to consume)", etc.  Even the news these days sickens me.

Anyway, if you want "reality" and need to see/feel the gruesomeness of life, head down to a local mission and help feed some people.  Work with orphaned children and those who have been abused.  Become an emergency 911 dispatcher for a year or two.  Hang out or work in an emergency room (don't just watch it on TV).  Move to a cabin out in the middle of nowhere in a harsh environment (Alaska, Canada, U.P., etc), with no running water, and no electricity, and try to survive.  Trust me...  you'll find all the real drama you can handle.  No need to watch it on TV and pretend.  No need to become calloused and deluded.
[/rant]

Again...  this is all just my general opinion.  I'm probably jaded and freely admit it.

Raider Bill

I've about missed this whole season due to no TV on the hill. What happened to James? I saw him hooked up to a IV.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Cedarman

Before there was TV to distract us, there were movies and radio, before that books, before that plays.  So people have always been attracted to diversions.  Pure escapist entertainment.  I have worked in 3 of the most dangerous occupations there are and caving is my hobby.  I have been first to walk where no human being has ever stepped foot before and seen unimaginable wonders underground.  My point is that I don't think whether our lives are exciting or dull makes any difference as to whether we like " reality" shows.  Pure escapist entertainment.

Anyway on to more important stuff.  If survivor was scripted and I was Erik and had to take the fall, it would cost them $1,000,000 bucks for me to suffer what he will undoubtedly suffer down the road, real or not.  I cannot believe a fan of survivor could be that naive.

Warbird, please don't take Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny from me. :D :D :D

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Roxie

Survivor and The Axe Men are my only "reality" TV.  I sure don't watch it because of a lack of  "gruesomeness" in my life.  I'm a farmer and it doesn't get much more gruesome than that.  I watch Survivor because it comes on before CSI on Thursday night, and that's Cowboy Bob's favorite show.  He doesn't watch that for the drama either, he is just keenly interested in how they solve crimes.  It is educational....I now know what a gaschromatagraphmassspectrometer is and what it does. 

Raider Bill, poor James cut his hand opening a coconut, and he was getting a serious infection.  They pulled him out for medical reasons. 
Say when

Warbird

I respect that, Roxie.  Like I said, I'm probably just jaded and (still) freely admit it.  ;)

Paschale

Quote from: Cedarman on May 09, 2008, 11:28:26 AM
I have worked in 3 of the most dangerous occupations there are and caving is my hobby.  I have been first to walk where no human being has ever stepped foot before and seen unimaginable wonders underground. 

That sounds much more interesting than Survivor.   ;D  What were the three occupations, and how long have been spelunking?   :P

Though I'm curious, having read all the responses...what was the boneheaded thing that this Eric guy did? 

I don't have cable, and just watch stuff that I get through the mail from Netflix, including some really good TV shows.  I just watch them a year or so late...without commercial interruption!   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Warbird

Never worked any of those truly dangerous jobs.  would be interested in hearing about them.  I should take the time to type out a bunch of my life experiences...  living in Barrow, helicopter crashes, encounters with polar bears, etc.

Paschale

Quote from: Warbird on May 09, 2008, 03:30:50 PM
Never worked any of those truly dangerous jobs.  would be interested in hearing about them.  I should take the time to type out a bunch of my life experiences...  living in Barrow, helicopter crashes, encounters with polar bears, etc.

Well, I'd say that at least two of those three would fall under the "most dangerous" occupations, so maybe we should start a "Dangerous Jobs" thread. 
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Mooseherder

Quote from: beenthere on May 09, 2008, 10:11:22 AM
Hey guys...survivor is NOT real.   All directed by a Director and then taped.  If they don't get it right, tape it again.  They know who is going to "win".    Just my individual opinion... :) :)
Even American Idol has been 'discovered' to be prepared ahead of time.

No Way!  ;D  I'm devastated. :D
Ya mean I been watchin' that for nothing. :D
The last two weeks of survivor have been fantastic.
We don't watch alot of TV but do get into Survivor.  That is the only time we watch CBS.
Other reality shows on the educational channels like History or the Discovery aren't considered Reality TV too me.  They're educational. :)

Don't forget to watch Sunday's finale.

Ianab

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 09, 2008, 11:20:18 AM
I've about missed this whole season due to no TV on the hill. What happened to James? I saw him hooked up to a IV.

Like Roxie said, James had an infected cut on his hand that needed antibiotics. A few years back a contestant in a NZ version of the show ended up with an infected coral cut on her foot. By the time she was flown back to NZ she ended up in a coma with blood poisoning and was lucky not to die. She is a local TV presenter and was off air for around 6 months recovering.

I bet the producers have that event in the back of their mind when ever anyone gets hurt and dont take chances with it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Erik is just young and gullible.  Many time the youth learn lessons the hard way.  He should have bet his strategy on winning the immunity challenges.  Against the four women, he should have known that he did not stand a chance.  He probably over-analyzed the situation.  I, too, enjoy Survivor. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

This has been the best season in many years!!! 8)

Quote from: Paschale on May 09, 2008, 03:11:55 PM
Though I'm curious, having read all the responses...what was the boneheaded thing that this Eric guy did? 

He took the bait, hook, line, sinker, the pole and even the boat. :D
He allowed himself to be snowed by a hot chick....... nuf said! ;D

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

"Pure escapist entertainment" has taken the U.S. from a high position in the world.
I don't say this to slam anyone.  It just happens to be something which Shawn and
I were discussing on the way to work Thursday morning.   
smiley_gossip
Our educational standards
and achievement (repeatedly revealed by standardized tests) show us plummeting
downward.  As we "escape," we neglect.  As we "escape," our time and energy is
diverted - away from real conversation and participatory response, and away from
productive endeavor, and away from internally generated creative thought.
(No, I am not Amish!)

It had been said long ago that "Religion is the opiate of the masses."  That assumes
that only simpletons believe in a Creator God who has made us and set standards.
You may correctly deduce that I do not agree.   Now, however, television at its
escapist best, is the opiate of not only "the masses," but is so to far too many of all stripes.
Pop_corn
Innocent diversions are harmless.  TV can be one.   It is the excess
consumption of it today, which is doing the harm.   The harm is attitudinal. The harm
is also tangible, as described above.  Plopping children down in front of anything that
flies across the screen is the worst scenario.  It happens to millions of them - the most
vulnerable - every day, even at daycare facilities.  Simple, but subtle child abuse.  In a
real sense, a child trained predominantly by the television is not your child. [Self-admitted fear-
mongering and alarmism here.  Or is it?]

[My Rant, sermonizing, and grand-standing is now concluded. 
The prop person may take the orange crate away.]
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Warbird

Quote from: fencerowphil  (Phil L.) on May 10, 2008, 06:01:01 AM
It had been said long ago that "Religion is the opiate of the masses."  That assumes
that only simpletons believe in a Creator God who has made us and set standards.

To add onto this...  You don't have to become stupid to believe in God.  In fact, He wants you with your mind intact.  The greatest commandment:

Mark 12:30  AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR ***MIND***, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.

Emphasis on 'mind' added.  :)

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Thats' a good verse to take time to ponder, WarBird.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Roxie

I guess it's my turn to be jaded.  I grew up listening to how the Beatles were going to be the end of American as we know it.  Ed Sullivan was sent by the devil.  The sexual revolution would lead to America's destruction by an angry God.  The generation that grew up in the 60's would ruin this country. 

I guess that I just don't see my viewing one interesting "reality" show as adding to the demoralization of the nation. 

If the nation's standardized testing is showing a downturn, maybe it's time we looked more closely at the test, and not just the students.  Children today are remarkable when it comes to electronics, but I guess we aren't testing for that. 

Nothing is good in excess, all things in moderation.
Say when

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Borrowing from the words of a Stevie Wonder song,  "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing!"
8)
If we take that tack,...
:P
No, not to worry about divorce rates now being ten times what they were forty years ago.
      During the period 2003-2005 the statistics for divorces, along with the results of them are
      truly amazing.
No, not to worry about a recent random test of teenage girls finding that 25%  are infected with
      STDs.  If the girls are that eaten-up with it, just image how the boys would test out!
      Now, a TV commercial advertising a vaccine for cervical cancer is commonly seen.  That cancer
      is caused by strains of the sexually-transmitted human papilloma virus. 
No, no to worry about more children born out of wedlock right now than born into traditional families.
:(
No worries?  Sad to say, these are facts already in place; they are not prognostications and dire predictions. 
These dramatic changes happened in just a few decades - just over four in fact.
Hummmm?  When would that have started?

Perhaps none of these things matter.  On the other hand, less has destroyed past nations.
Watching TV won't cause these things, but changed attitudes can cause them.
TV can be a positive.  It can also be very negative.  Maybe it depends on what the TV is used for.

Thank You Sponsors!