iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading tractor tires

Started by brdmkr, May 07, 2008, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I bought one of those adapters that fits on a water hose that allows you to fill your tractor tires with water.  My tractor dealer says to just put straight water in, but it seems everything I read says to use some antifreeze as well.  It doesn't really get that cold here, but it does get well below freezing several times a year.  If the water freezes will it hurt the tires?  If I should put antifreeze in the tires, how do I do that given it will not be under pressure?  Can I just use a short piece of hose and an funnel and pour it in?  It seems that there would still be enough pressure in the fire to make a gravity feed unlikely.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Fla._Deadheader

Got an old tire pump ???  Fill it with antifreeze and pump it in. Do it BEFORE you get pressure in the tire.  ::) ::) ;D ;D

You can also let the tire go flat, hook up a piece of tube over the stem, and have the tube full of antifreeze, and jack up the tractor. It will have suction and pull the fluid in.

IF the tires freeze, DO NOT move the tractor. The ice inside will cut the tube, and possibly the tire ???  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

LeeB

I suppose you could pour the antifreeze in the hose before you fill the tire.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stonebroke

Up here ( NY)if you put straight water in you would split the tires wide open. It gets a lot colder  up here. We use mainly  a calcium chloride solution. It is heavier than water alone but it is very corrosive.  You mix it up in a barrel and use a diaphragm pump to put it in via a special adapter. Gemplers has the adapters and pumps. Also there is a new liquid derived from molasses that is not corrosive. Tubes tend to be a good idea. Also watch out once you load them because they can crush you if you are changing a wheel assembly and they get loose.

Stonebroke

stonebroke

Something  else I forgot. Put the valve stem on the top and jack up the tractor to take all the weight off of the tire.

Stonebroke

okie

I'm advertising my ignorance here but.......Why are you filling your tractor tires with water?
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

stonebroke

thecfarm

The tractor has alot more traction with weight in the rear tires.Even if you don't have a FEL,it is still a good idea.The tractor can do so much more with loaded tires.I have always run tubes with all loaded tires.I just went through the loaded tires thing with both of my tires on my tractor.I use the calcuim,due to our cold temps here.I needed tubes too.I had someone come right to the house to do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Faron

Calcium chloride is pretty much standard around here.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Roxie

That's what we use too.   :)
Say when

beenthere

I use windshield washer fluid..not corrosive, weighs a bit less than calcium (near same as water), and has worked well for temps to minus 20° F.
I just laid the tire down, broke the bead, and poured it in. Cost at the time only about $1 a gal.

Just recently, a thread here on the Forum talked about the beet juice...called Rim Guard, that is being used. Also non-corrosive and a bit heavier than calcium...but more expensive.
http://www.rimguard.biz/

A search of the archives brings up several discussions of the Rim Guard.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawdust

Beet juice is what some RV antifreeze is made of. Apparently it works well as a plant killer similar to Roundup. Nn toxic and a lot cheaper.

sawdust.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Handy Andy

I don't put calcium in my tractor tires.  I only add cast iron weights.  The first new tractor I got, the dealer told me I'd have no rear end problems if I only add cast.  And he was right.  No rear end problems on tractors I've had without calcium. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Don_Papenburg

Cast iron here also , makes fixing flats a lot easier
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

stonebroke

We use cast iron and loading tires. With two wheel drive you need all the weight that the tires can stand.

Stonebroke

Roxie

In addition to the calcium, we also use weights when we are tractor pulling.  Getting them centered over the axle can be a challenge but we've put special weight bars on all our tractors. 
Say when

olyman

like beenthere said--windshield fluid---

Weekend_Sawyer

I unload all of my tires. But I have a small area to till its sandy and pretty flat.
Had to weld replacement patches in rims that the calcium has rotted.

I am going to put the windshield washer fluid in the fronts on my Ford 8n. That little tractor doesn't like to keep it's front end down!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Roxie

I can still picture you on the steel tires going up the steel ramp!  THAT was fun!   8)
Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

Sure was Roxie! Steel tires on a steel deck does not spell traction!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

olyman

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on May 09, 2008, 10:41:43 AM

Sure was Roxie! Steel tires on a steel deck does not spell traction!
and can spell a misshap real quick!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!