iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your Best Guess

Started by Sawyerfortyish, June 02, 2003, 08:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Tree service guy came in after dark a couple days ago and dumped off 3 logs all from the same tree the butt log is one inch shy of 18' and 35" one way and 38" dia the other. I called it an 18-36" my Doyle scale says it has 1156 bd ft :o.It is a black oak how much does this log weigh? :-/ Give me your best guesses I know my payloader won't touch it and my prentice 120 won't either. I hate big stuff like this I can saw twice as much footage from smaller logs in the same time it takes to cut one big one.

DouginUtah

By my calculations, not less than 8000 lbs.

Wish you could weigh it!

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

pigman

7986.245  lbs   plus or minus a bunch
 :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ARKANSAWYER

Some where between 5 and 6 tons.  It would make a good days sawing.  You are right about the smaller logs.  I can turn out the most bdftage with 16 to 18 inch logs then I can any thing else.  After about 24 inches it slows down to like I am sawing 8 inch stuff.  Yea I know, need a swinger!
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

ohsoloco

Sounds like it would make two nice eight footers  ;)

Sawyerfortyish

I think it will end up as two 8 footers I should be able to lift them with the payloader

Ron Wenrich

I come up with about 135 cu ft.  Red oak weighs 64 lbs/cu ft. So, my best guess would be about 8600 lbs.

Density would also come into play.  If the growth rings are tight, then weight would be more.  Wide gowth rings would weigh less.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ohsoloco

I'd still have to do some serious hacking with the chainsaw before I could saw into that beast

Sawyerfortyish

The growth rings are very tight looks like more than 200yrs ???.I'm going to count them. If it ever stops raining long enough to  >:(

Thank You Sponsors!