iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) tractor...maybe...

Started by zopi, May 06, 2008, 09:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

I've found a more modern tractor than my ancient iron..gotta have someting that will handle a little backhoe, and eventually a FEL..The tractor is a 1994 Long 2360, 40 hp 3 cyl diesel, ROPs (A must for mowing) hyd remotes, yadda yadda...included is an (ancient) three bottom plow, a sprayer (junk, but I can re plumb it..) and a quite spiffy 72" Bush Hog finish mower. the tractor
has been maintained by the same dealer it was originally bought from, Rubber is good..700 some odd hours..+ the manuals..

all for $6000..

I already have a blade, roller harrow, flail mower, cultivator, and a two bottom plow...

The drawbacks as I see them...Long was acquired by Farmtrac, who is currently in receivership...although parts seem to be
commonly available...

I >think< this is a pretty good deal...whatchuguys think?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

mad dog

I'll give you 6 for it Congratulations you stole it!
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

zopi

Haven't bought it yet...

Lookin' around for a little backhoe too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Fla._Deadheader

I bought a new Long in 1975 or 76 ???  It was the same one you are looking at. No front wheel drive. Model 445, 42HP, and tough as nails. Made in Romania. I used that Tractor for EVERYTHING. Never broke anything important. Had a hydraulic leak on the lift arms. Dealer put extra "O" rings in, and that was that.

Put a FEL on it and had a barrel full os rocks for ballast. Tweren't near enough, though. I was always lifting the rear wheels off the ground. Filled both back tires with antifreeze and water. That hepped a little. Could drag the 3 bottom plow all day on less than 5 gallons of diesel fuel. Wore out MANY truck leaf springs, welded onto the plow points, for turning clay and rock ground.

I pulled over trees, pulled a 3 bottom, 14" set of turning plows, Dug a basement under our house, dragged logs, chased stoopid cows, cut single rows of cane and corn silage, you name it.

Wish I had one rat now.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

zopi

That gives me a better warm & fuzzy..I sure can't afford to give 20k for what is basically a garden tractor...gods but new farm equipment is overpriced...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

zopi

SWEET! I offered him 5500 for the whole package and he accepted...I'll try to go get it tomorrow...and promptly go down the road to mow some friends lawn...2' deep and counting...their mower is pretty much junk..

I am working on a deal for a Taylor Pittsburg backhoe too...

Toys. lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Corley5

8) 8) 8)  Sounds like a great deal  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

shinnlinger

Zopi,

Good luck with the LOng, I don't think you did wrong there, but I will suggest, unless you can find a screaming deal on it,  skip the hoe

A 40 horse hoe aint very big so it really will only replace your shovel, but then you have to put the hoe on and off all the time which can be not so fun sometimes, and then you get to jump on and off the tractor the whole time to move the machine so you can dig a little more.

WHat I suggest is renting a excavator if you have need for a hoe..It is many times the digger and way more convienent.  If you have alot of need for a digger, decent used ones pop up around here in the 10-15k range all the time. 

Keep that in mind when pricing 8+k for an backhoe for your Long which really isnt even comparable to a mini ex.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

zopi

I had considered that very thing, but then i have a dedicated machine..I have a pretty good range of tractor implements and need a newer bigger tractor anyway..

the digging i am doing is light work in soft soil...i'm not bustin' concrete or rock, or even pulling stumps..got other resources for that..

no way i'm giving that kind of dollars for a back hoe...i am onto something about half that price new..and pretty stout too...

The only real reason i am going this route is that I am having difficulty getting orders to a boat here locally, I am not going to move my family, and I am unwilling to do a 2 or 3 year tour unaccompanied...
So, failing to get a boat here, I will volunteer to spend a year in Iraq...make some $$, pretty much guarantee a pair of stars, and not pay taxes for a year...but there are major things that mush be done here
prior to my going..and the wife needs the muscle to mow and haul firewood for the house...this tractor is safe enough she can drive it...ROPS seat belts..lights..modern hydraulics...etc...wifey drives it well.

wish it had a shuttle though.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Fla._Deadheader

Does it have the locking Rear drive pedal ???  That's worth more than most tractors. Makes the thing pull like no tomorrow, AND, helps to keep the wheels from turning backward going downhill, like them little Ford's youster do ???  Them were dangerous.

Allis also used that same tractor. Painted it Orange, though ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Good on ya zopi.
Thought about you when I saw one on Craigs list today, a NewHolland TC-33, 4wd with ROPS/canopy, FEL, 72" woods finishing mower, hydrostatic, extra hydraulic taps, and wheel weights..900 hours....for $5200.  But I think the right/left turning brakes are on the same side as the hyd. forward/reverse pedals. :o :o

So they're around at some good prices.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on May 08, 2008, 10:53:49 PM

Does it have the locking Rear drive pedal ???  That's worth more than most tractors. Makes the thing pull like no tomorrow, AND, helps to keep the wheels from turning backward going downhill, like them little Ford's youster do ???  Them were dangerous.

Allis also used that same tractor. Painted it Orange, though ???

The differential lock?  yep..good thing to have when plowing.

uster have a '38 WC Allis...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Quote from: beenthere on May 08, 2008, 11:44:45 PM
Good on ya zopi.
Thought about you when I saw one on Craigs list today, a NewHolland TC-33, 4wd with ROPS/canopy, FEL, 72" woods finishing mower, hydrostatic, extra hydraulic taps, and wheel weights..900 hours....for $5200.  But I think the right/left turning brakes are on the same side as the hyd. forward/reverse pedals. :o :o

wow... that sounds like a good deal..bet it gets snapped up quick..

I wound up winning the backhoe for $3550...gotta drive to Ohio to get it, but hey.....ROAD TRIP!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Picked up the Long this afternoon..promptly mowed about three acres of (too) tall fescue...little dude pulls strong and everything seems tight...got it with 671 hrs on the clock...

mowed today with a finish mower..I'll put the flail on it in a couple days and hit some ugly stuff and see how it goes.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Kcwoodbutcher

Good on ya zopi.

Careful, that's, a scam that's been around for a while . Keeps popping up in KC. It will get flagged soon.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Raider Bill

What's the differance between a bush hog and a flail mower?

zopi

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 15, 2008, 11:55:04 AM
What's the differance between a bush hog and a flail mower?
Well..lol....Bush Hog is the original brand name of a heavy rotary mower,
made by a bunch of different folks now and commonly called a bush hog..

a flail mower has a horizontal shaft that carries dozens of bent flail knives..
think fast rototiller...there are advantages to both..

Flail mower:
http://www.alamo-industrial.com/products/productview.asp?ChildCategoryID=2&ProductID=12

Bush hog:
http://www.bushhog.com/ProductFamily.aspx?ID=33
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on May 15, 2008, 01:05:13 AM
Good on ya zopi.

Careful, that's, a scam that's been around for a while . Keeps popping up in KC. It will get flagged soon.

I suspected as much. See it taken down often, since my post. Thanks for the tip.  It isn't green, so I wouldn't fall for it, no matter what the price... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

I have a off brand bush hog that came with my tractor. Has 2 pivoting blades and a stump jumper. It was pretty tore up when I bought them espessically the top where the blades have been pushed up causing a couple tears in the sheet metal. I welded them back.

I'm mostly clearing woods between the trees getting under brush cleared away. I know that I have asked it to cut some things that were probaley too much for it and wondered if there was something else better suited for this type of job.

I do try to miss big logs that have fallen amoung the thickets but sometimes I just don't see them.

I notice road crews have a machine that they will trim even big stumps down with.

zopi

Flail mowers rock...they shred alot of crap pretty easy...no stumps tho'....just don't hit a garbage bag..I've racked up three today..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

heh...just got it and already had the top off the tranny...bloody diff lock stuck on me while i was shoving some things around...hadta go in and unstick it..

I guess the guy who owned it did not use some of the creature features at all..it has some minor electrical
gremlins..and seriously needs a few more lights..

I am really impressed with it though..I have gotten more done in the last three days than the last three weeks..and have yet to go through five gallons of diesel.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!