Started by D Martin, May 06, 2008, 07:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Martin

D Martin

uggggg this is what happens when I try to be cool

D Martin

:P a few mor hours of learnin how to post pics oughta do it

ohsoloco

You're sooo close  ;)  You could do it in a couple minutes now.  Just start a reply to this thread, then open up your photo gallery.  Click on one of the pics you want to insert, then scroll down to the file info.  You will see the words "Click here to copy this photo code directly to your Forestry Forum post window"  Click on those words, and the code will be in your post.  Click on the preview button to see how it will look before posting  :)

Don't forget to leave spaces on either side of the code if you're going to type anything  ;)

D Martin

finally

ohsoloco

Dave Shepard

Is that red maple? We have about 5mbf of red maple that has been in log form for a while now. I sawed one of the logs up, and it was mostly white. I would saw more if it looked like that. How long did you leave the logs before sawing?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

D Martin

I cut it right away. Im not sure if it's red . It had some bird holes in, it it was already spalted alive. I kept a log for a friend who turns wood but he never came to get it. guess i'll saw it up

Dave Shepard

Hmmm! smiley_headscratch I'll have to try another log or two to see if any of the other are interesting before I put them in the firewood pile. What are people doing with their red maple?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

D Martin

It didn't look as pronounced untill I planed it. Im sure once it gets a sealer it will come out more

Dodgy Loner

Actually, that's ambrosia maple, not spalted maple.  Spalting appears as fine black lines on the wood and is caused by fungal infection after a tree dies.  Ambrosia maple is caused by an infestation of the ambrosia beetle, which caused the tunnels you see in the wood.  The beetles introduce a fungus that causes the staining you see.  Ambrosia maple is usually found in declining or recently cut trees.

Dave, I love my plain vanilla red maple.  It can be used in place of hard maple or as a contrast to a darker wood such as cherry or walnut in fine furniture.  It also makes a very good traditional secondary wood.  Only complaint I have is that it's difficult to air-dry without getting gray stain.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Red maple is really nice to work with.  Machines beautifully.  Like Dodgy said, I have had a gray stain issue when air drying.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

D Martin

Thanx wdh, I looked closer at the wood I sawed and saw the bug holes. In this tree were some bird holes also and a void down near the root flare. Not knowing about ambrosa I assumed spalting. Does spalting have to have a dead host or can it actually spalt live? Seems I have heard ,(read ) that it can spalt through open wounds ie. bird holes if leaves etc are introduced thus carying in the fungus. Also the tan color staining does have some black lines on its perimeter,  not as visable on this particular board as on some of the others in this log, could this be spalting or is this ambrosa also?  thanx  ???

WDH

Spalting is caused by wood rotting fungi.  For this to happen. the tree has to be dead.  The ambrosia pattern is caused by another type fungus introduced by a wood boring beetle.  So, there are two fungi at work.  If the ambrosia beetles infected a live tree, then it died later, I presume that you could get the same effect in a single tree.

I think the ambrosia effect is beautiful.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

D Martin

I do too wdh, I have a few boards and have plans for some of it. I have seen work done on a lathe with spalted wood it was awsome. Has anyone seen anything, or better yet spun anything from ambrosia affected wood and have pics?  I still have a whole log saved for a guy who likes stuff  like that also.

Thank You Sponsors!