iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flag Case

Started by pineywoods, May 05, 2008, 11:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

It is customary in the US for the casket for deceased veterans to be covered with an american flag. This flag is usually folded in a very precise manner and presented to the next of kin as part of a military funeral service. Here's how to make a case for such a flag that will protect it, but still have it displayed. I used walnut, 2 boards 1X3X17 and 1  1X3X27 1/2. Cut the ends of all 3 boards at exactly 45 degrees. Saw a shallow groove 1/4 inch deep and 1/8 wide  1/8 inch from one  edge of all 3 pieces. The front cover, glass or plexiglass will fit in this groove. Cut the glass to fit, (16.5 X 16.5 X 23) slip it in the grooves and assemble with glue and small brads. The back cover (not shown here) is plywood fastened on with small wood screws.

Made this for a neighbor's widow. There's glass in the front, I couldn't get it to show in a photo.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

Good job.Something that will be kept for years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patty

Very nice work, Wayne. I am sure the family appreciates it very much.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

pineywoods

Me thinks I have created a monster. I made a few of these and donated them to families of deceased vets. This is a rural community where everybody knows everybody and most are kinfolks. Word got around. So far I haven't had to refuse anyone, but I'm about to run out of walnut wood.  :( I cut out enough parts for 5 more today. I originally started this to honor ww2 vets, but now I am getting a few requests from korean and viet Nam.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

WDH

If someone closer cannot get you some walnut wood, then I can.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Thanks Danny, I'll probably be able to scrounge up an old yard walnut somewhere in the neighborhood. Walnut is not that common here. If nothing else, it's not that far up to Arkie's. I hear there's plenty  there. The one log I sawed was the knotyest, gnarliest hollow piece of wood you can imagine, hard to get a 3 ft 1X4 out of it. But there sure was some nice grain.

underdog

I was looking for somthing like that for my Fathers Flag.
Been about four years.
But wanted a place for a plaque. Did not figure the flag alone would mean much to most.
Anyway.
Nice work and thank you for your contributions to our Veterans.

pineywoods

Underdog, just make the bottom piece out of 2 inch or more thick material. That leaves room for a small plaque on the front edge. I did a few that way until I ran out of 2 inch walnut. I'd like to find a reasonable source for small name plaques...

pineywoods

This project is still alive. Norm sent me a batch of very nice walnut. I have just about exhausted my stash. Have lost track of how many of these I have built and given away. Right now I have at least a dozen outstanding requests. Today, a neighbor showed up in my log yard with this.  7 ft long standing dead walnut 20 inches on small end. It's mine in return for sawing some walnut bowl blanks.
That will make a BUNCH of flag cases.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jamesamd

When I loged on tonight I was'nt going to respond to any posts,just read.
God bless You,Piney!

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Magicman

Thanks for keeping this thread as well as your special contributions to this project ongoing Wayne.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

blackfoot griz

Pineywoods,

I sure tip my hat to you for doing what you're doing.  Every time I go up to my mom's house,  I look at my dad's case and flag and pause.  Sometimes with a tear or two...sometimes with a big smile.

Tree Feller

Good on ya, Pineywoods. That's a very gracious thing you are doing by making those flag cases and rest assured that your kindness will be remembered and appreciated long after you (and the rest of us) are long gone.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

TimRB

I hate to have to mention this, but you might want to encourage your flag case recipients to be cautious if they ever decide to break out the flag and fly it once in a while.  Not too long ago someone around here was flying his son's casket flag (Afganistan) and some POS stole it.

Tim

Lud

Glad to see this thread as I have been delaying making a flag case for want of a good design.  It makes good sense.  I'll go with the 2" stock as we got the brass from the salute and I intend to space the brass in drilled holes around the edge of the case.

Instead of plywood I intend to use a bit of this cedar OSB  I use for closet back walls usually but if it provides a bit of protection for the flag it'd be worth it, right?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Norm

Piney was kind enough to make one for Patty's Dad and my MIL displays it proudly.  :)

You ever need more all you have to do is ask, I'd be proud to help out.

pineywoods

I sawed that big old yard walnut today. Had to Bibby down the but flare to get the saw head past. There was a lot of spiral grain in the log. Never seen that on walnut before. As expected, there was a good bit of checking and heart check

Started to square things up, some nice figure

Got down to a 16 inch square cant, no metal  8) I'm thinking, I have hit the jackpot, a yard walnut with no metal in it. I'll mount a new blade, saw through and through, 16 inch walnut boards . Very next cut...

YUP there's no such thing as a yard walnut with no nails.

Here's the finished stack, bunch of 4/4 and 8/4 16 inch wide boards, plus some natural edge stuff. Now to get busy making more flag cases..

Magicman

Some things are just worth a nail.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Great looking wood you ended up with. Is this one to be used for a shadow box, too?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I hate it when I hit the Jackpot and the Jackpot is nails.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

blackfoot griz

I got this email this morning from a retired Marine friend of mine.  After reading it, I thought I should share it here. It is the history of the folded flag and the meaning behind each of the folds.

It looks like the actual diagrams of each fold did not copy over though (the diagrams were supposed to be inbetween the text below).  If anybody wants the version with the actual folds, I think the only way I can do it would be to forward the actual email to your email...Let me know and I would be glad to do it!
____________________________________________________________________________________

The  Meaning of the "Flag-Draped  Coffin"

All  Americans should be given this lesson. Those who  think that America is an arrogant nation should  really reconsider that thought. Our founding  fathers used GOD's word and teachings to  establish our Great Nation and I think it's high  time Americans get re-educated about this  Nation's  history.
         Pass it  along and be proud of the country we live in,  and even more proud of those who serve to  protect our 'GOD-GIVEN' rights and freedoms. 
         I hope you  take the time to read this ... To understand  what the flag draped coffin really means .. Here  is how to understand the flag that laid upon it  and is surrendered to so many widows and  widowers:
         Do you  know that at military funerals, the 21-gun  salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the  year  1776?
          Have you ever noticed that  the honor guard pays meticulous attention to  correctly folding the United States of America  Flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to  symbolize the original 13 colonies, but we learn  something new every  day!
         The 1st  fold of the flag is a symbol of  life.

The 2nd  fold is a symbol of the belief in eternal  life.

The 3rd  fold is made in honor and remembrance of the  veterans departing the ranks who gave a portion  of their lives for the defense of the country to  attain peace throughout the  world.

The 4th  fold represents the weaker nature, for as  American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him  we turn in times of peace as well as in time of  war for His divine  guidance.

The 5th  fold is a tribute to the country, for in the  words of Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in  dealing with other countries, may she always be  right; but it is still our country, right or  wrong.'

The 6th  fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is  with their heart that they pledge allegiance to  the flag of the United States of America , and  the Republic for which it stands, one Nation  under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice  for  all.
         The 7th  fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is  through the Armed Forces that they protect their  country and their flag against all her enemies,  whether they be found within or without the  boundaries of their  republic..

The 8th  fold is a tribute to the one who entered into  the valley of the shadow of death, that we might  see the light of  day.

The 9th  fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For  it has been through their faith, their love,  loyalty and devotion that the character of the  men and women who have made this country great  has been  molded.
         The 10th  fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too,  has given his sons and daughters for the defense  of their country since they were first  born.

The 11th  fold represents the lower portion of the seal of  King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the  Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and  Jacob.

The 12th  fold represents an emblem of eternity and  glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the  Father, the Son and Holy  Spirit.
         The 13th  fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the  stars are uppermost reminding them of their  Nations motto, 'In God We  Trust.'

After the  flag is completely folded and tucked in, it  takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever  reminding us of the soldiers who served under  General George Washington, and the Sailors and  Marines who served under Captain John Paul  Jones, who were followed by their comrades and  shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United  States, preserving for them the rights,  privileges and freedoms they enjoy  today.
         There are  some traditions and ways of doing things that  have deep meaning. In the future, you'll see  flags folded and now you will know  why.
         Share this  with the children you love and all others who  love what is referred to as the symbol of '  Liberty and  Freedom.'

Lud

My Dad passed a few years ago and, having served during WWII, was interred at our National Cemetery  with all honors.   My step-Mom gave me the flag to keep and , while I had good intentions, until this thread , I didn't have a plan.

I made a rough draft and measured against our flag and wound up reducing it to 16" on the two top sides.  I suppose there may be some variations so only suggest   there is reason to measure to get a best fit.  I wanted to use some thicker stock as we had collected the brass from his salute which I wanted to incorporate in the design.  2" stock was too thick, I had to allow for the glass dado, and the shells were a tad over 7/16".

Made two out of cherry and used two coats of English Chestnut Minwax to darken it a bit without going to walnut.  TWo coats of clear gloss and then Behr? wax after a extra fine scuff gives protection and a good feel.  I engraved the back edge with his name and dates, rank and corps to secure the history of the flag and just signed it, "Made with love and respect by his son, Kurt.

Here's a couple of shots before assembly

A friend's brother-in-law was an 85 year old Marine who I got to meet in the last month had just gone in for surgery last week and had unfortunately passed post op.  When Chuck told us the sad news, I told him of the coincidence of what I was just finishing and am donating the second flagcase to the family.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

thecfarm

Very interesting blackbear. I want to see the orignal.

Lud,very nice job.

Thank You Sponsors!