iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It ain't a blue ox, but....

Started by pineywoods, May 05, 2008, 10:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I have an up-coming project that will require some 24 ft beams. Needed a way to get 24 ft logs to my mill. My regular log trailer won't handle anything over 16 ft. A quick inventory of my   junk pile parts department turned up a dropped axle with 2 wheels and tires from an old pull-behind bush hog, and some miscellaneous pipe. Used mr miller for  day and came up with this...

I may get around to painting it someday(orange), but for now it works just fine.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

I love stuff that is made from miscellaneous bits and pieces. Extra points if you didn't have to buy anything. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Paul_H

Looks good from here!What are the beams going to be used for,can I ask?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

pineywoods

Quote from: Paul_H on May 05, 2008, 11:02:19 PM
Looks good from here!What are the beams going to be used for,can I ask?

Post and beam or possibly timber frame hunting lodge.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

pineywoods

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 05, 2008, 10:36:48 PM
I love stuff that is made from miscellaneous bits and pieces. Extra points if you didn't have to buy anything. :)

Dave

I did have to buy a few pounds of welding rods. the tires even hold air ;D

cantcutter

Speaking of Blue Ox... I am going to be in Sutton Vermont this next week and am trying to get an invite to their facility.... If it comes through I will post pictures.

Dieselrider

I am thinking of building one myself. Can you, will you provide rough plans? Like what is overall length, height and wheel spacing? That looks like it should do the job. Thanks
DR
Always try to be the best, but never think you are the best.

pineywoods

Quote from: Dieselrider on May 19, 2008, 10:36:18 AM
I am thinking of building one myself. Can you, will you provide rough plans? Like what is overall length, height and wheel spacing? That looks like it should do the job. Thanks
DR

There is no way you could duplicate this thing. The axle, spindles and wheels are stock off an allis chalmers tow-behind rotary mower. Allis quit making farm equipment sometime in the early 50's. Wheels and hubs look like 50's dodge pickup. The pipe I used is 3 inch drill stem, very thick wall. Wheel spacing is 68 inches so it will fit on a 71 inch wide trailer. Axle clears the ground by about 3 feet. Tongue is 12 ft long so I can carry a 24 ft log. A good source for spindles, hubs and wheels is any AMC junker. The front spindles bolt on to a flat surface with 4 bolts, no welding

Thank You Sponsors!