iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

starting tomatos from seeds

Started by Dan_Shade, May 05, 2008, 09:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I gave this another shot this year, things are looking better than last year (I'll take a picture when the camera battery charges).

Anyways, the bottoms of the leaves are purple, is this normal?  I think it's a phosphorus deficiency, so I added just a smidge of wood ashes to each pot, hoping I didn't over do it. 

Good thing I don't have to depend on myself to feed me...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

HOOF-ER

Yes it could be Phos. Usually not a problem as you move them out before long. I would recommend a good water souluble fertilizer. Miracle Grow, Peters special etc. Use a well drained soil so that you have to water often , we always continuous fed them ( feed with each water, follow directions), as much sun as possible and those babies will be huge before you know it. I used to offer tomato   plants with tomatoes already on them for setting out. BIG SELLER.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Norm

I wouldn't worry too much about the purplish color. It is common on some varieties of plants when they are young but grow out of it when they are transplanted. Be careful with the wood ashes though. They will change the PH level of your soil if you use too much of them and if I remember correct they are more for the K in NPK than they are for phosphorus. I use a tsp of a balanced soluble fertilizer per gallon and use it every third watering.

Tom Sawyer

What kind of tomatoes do you plant?  We really like brandywine tomatoes.  They have probably the ugliest fruit of any tomato (irregular shaped, ugly marks on the skin, green skin in places, etc.) but I have yet to eat a better tasting tomato.  And, you can save seed for next year! 8)

Tom

Dave Shepard

For some reason I have a knack for growing huge crops of tomatos. I don't know why, I don't eat tomatos. ::) ???

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

It's funny the way people are buffaloed.We had a small greenhouse business and sold many varities of tomatoes.We would buy them by the flat,72 to 250 per flat.People would ask for the best tasting tomatoe.Point them to the branywine,but I would tell them it would not be a pretty tomatoe like what they would buy in a store.They would most times ask for something else.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodcarver

You are right about the ashes, Norm. Hence the term potash for potasium (ashes from the firepot).  And ashes will alter the PH.  I recall reading that it takes about twice as much ashes as lime to produce a give change in PH, but I don't recall if that ratio is by volume or by weight.   
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Thank You Sponsors!