iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks Sawmills?

Started by firewoodrus, May 05, 2008, 07:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firewoodrus

My dad runs a firewood business and is looking real hard to get a sawmill and wanted me to find out what i could on a Cooks Mill. I found the web site for them but wanted to find out what ever I could from anyone that has one.   

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! I don't know anything about Cooks, but someone will be along that does, I am sure. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kelLOGg

I purchased an MP32 6 yrs ago and have been pleased with it. Among the so-called manual mills I found it to have the least vibration while sawing. Cook machines the drive and idler wheels to achieve minimal runout and I think keeps the vibration to a minimum. Also they are good folks to work with.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

solidwoods

I've been to their factory a few times (yrs ago even).
If I had a business model that needed a mill, that is the one I'd get.
And if you are setting up non mobile- go go electric 30hp.

And get a resaw
and a forklift
and a kiln
and a knuckleboom
and an edger
and a planer
and a tablesaw
and a shaper
and a bandsaw
and a sander
and a bladesharpener
and a shed
and a trailer
and a molder
Hey I better get to work
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

sawmillDave

Hello,

I have sold a few used cooks mills and the owners seem to be very happy with them. They mentioned to me that they were very happy with the technical support and parts were shipped quickly when needed. Wish you luck with your search.

Dave

firewoodrus

thanks for the input.  I will pass on the info to Dad. 

PineNut

I have a MP32 that I purchased a couple of years ago. I have been very satisfied with it. Had a couple of minor problems and found their tech support to be outstanding. Had to get one replacement part and it was shipped the same day I called them. Many parts are standard parts that can be purchased locally. Also Cooks has a very good selection of parts. I picked mine up at the factory and they gave me a tour while I was there.

dnalley

I bought an MP32about a year and a half ago and love it.  It has electrical forward and back, and up and down.  So far, works great.  Don't know anything about your dad's age or how much hands-on he will be involved with the saw, but if possible I'd advise going with the new hydraulic version of the same saw.  Loading and turning big logs (to me) is rough on a fat old man (speaking of myself). ;D  Thank the Lord for an eighteen year old grandson who lives with me and loves to work around the mill, altho sometimes I'm starting to see that far-away look in his eyes!  Dwight

kelLOGg

Pinenut's experience with Cook's parts delivery reminds me of my trying to get an air filter for the Kohler engine on my MP32. It is an oval shaped filter and Kohler has since changed their design to a round one which I could  not find locally or online. I called Cook's and they shipped me one from their supplier FREE. I never got a bill - got to thank them for that one. Granted it is not a big dollar item but it show the kind of service you get from them.
Happy Customer Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Handy Andy

I have a Cook MP32, and I like it.  Mine is 25 hp, has the power up and down, but so far I just push it.  Would really like to have a power log turner, the big logs are tough to roll when you are short.  I have the winch turner, the little winch that came with it would roll small logs, but I can turn them by hand, so I got a 8OOO lb winch, and now I can turn the big ones, but I bent the bracket.  Planning to put a cable to a post in the new shed to help with that.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

PineNut

I gave up on the winch turner very early. Small logs get turned by hand. Larger ones get turned with the FEL on the tractor. I use the hook that came with the mill, wrap a chain around the log and fasten it to the FEL. Then just pick up with the FEL and the log rolls right over. I would like to have hydraulics but $$$. I may consider fabricating a turner and toe boards but that is a future project. I have the electric up/down and forward/back. That was well worth the $$.

Thank You Sponsors!