iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly model 502 jump saw.

Started by Bibbyman, May 05, 2008, 03:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Every so often we get and order that requires us to cut to length.  We have tried to avoid them as we don't have a productive way to cut to them.  Usually Mary whacked them out using a Sears radial arm saw. But last Friday we got an order for quite a number of oak 3x4s by 18" long.  That was the straw that broke the camel's back.  So we did some mad shopping and decided on a Grizzy model 502 "jump saw".  It features an 18" carbide tipped blade, 10hp 3ph motor, air power to make the cut.

We picked it up at the Grizzly store in Springfield, Mo.  As it was am 8 hour ride,  we didn't get back until it was dark.

Sunday morning we cleared out a corner of the sawshed and built a floor for the new machine. I know.  Most everyone else would have used concrete.  But 15 years ago we needed a floor and didn't have the money.  But we had lumber so we put down some runners and decked it with 4/4 white oak.

Mary takes the crate off.

The machine tries to eat her.  No... it's got lag bolts holding the pallet bottom on.

It got dark before we got it all set up and besides,  I didn't have the wire and other hardware it took to hook it up.  We quit for the day.

This morning Mary and I went and got the wire and the fuse/switch box.  Son Gabe worked on wiring to the jump saw and I mounted the box and connected it up.

About 1:00pm we "smoke tested" it.  It ran the wrong way so we swapped two wires and got it going in the right direction.

Mary started right off hacking thing off.  I loaded the deck with cull 3x4s.  Gabe pulled the 3x4s and fed them on the infeed of the jump saw while Mary cut the best into 18" long stuff.  The rest she cut into blocking for us to use and then firewood.

The thing really cuts!  She took what was going to be firewood and recovered quite a bit from the pile.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ADAMINMO

Sweet saw there Bib!! Looks similar to the Pop-up chopsaw we used to build here. Watch your fingers on that thing.The blade does come up from the bottom don't it? We built one here for a few years and determined they weren't as safe as the Chopsaws we built and quit buildin them. That thing looks like it will do a fine job for ya!!! Congrats!

Radar67

You notice he has Mary doing all the work...... :-\
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ADAMINMO

I did notice that but wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was behind the scenes doing somethin. Oh wait ......... he has to be the one holding the camera cause evertone else he mentioned is in the photos working!!!  :D   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Very nice machine though.Maybe since it is new Mary want's to get some work done before allowing Bibbyman to run it and start the "modification" process and slow her down!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sorry Bibbyman but I had to say it!! :D  :)  :D :)  :D

Bibbyman

GRizzly 18" Chop saw

It looks well guarded. About all the salesman could tell us was, "We sale a lot of them."  He said the Meeks lumber yards are buying them to replace radial arm saws because they are safer. 

We've talked to Kent before on chop saws.  And also Morgan.  But they don't have any in stock.  It would take at least 4 weeks to get one from Morgan.  Kent didn't answer the phone.

Now here's an old idea that was a good one!  The Grizzly jump saw came with a tool box and the tools it takes to put it together and maintain it.  That's something I've mentioned to every equipment manufacture that they need to start doing again.

Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

I agree Bibbyman. The Wireless came in a bright orange waterproof plastic "ammo can", and just today I started putting the wrenches I use to maintain the mill and edger in it. I mostly just need a 1/2" socket to take the bolts out of the edger lid to spray the shaft.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Well Adam,  I kind of feel bad we didn't know y-all made a single chop saw.  I've talked to Tom a number of times about used chop saws.  I know he never mentioned y-all made chop saws. 

I've looked at your web site a number of times and all I seen was more specific, elaborate double end cut off saws.  Being able to cut a 6x6 would have been a plus.

Had we known it, and had you had one of the smaller, simple models in stock,  we may have been on our way to Ellington instead of Springfield.  :-\

Baker Manual and Air - chop saws
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

Hey Bibby ya need to shoot us a video of that thing working, looks impressive.

Adam ya got any pics of the manual chopsaws that baker makes?, I had a morgan chopsaw once, bought it new, then sold it a couple of years later, I really wish I had it now.  :(
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

StorminN

Lookin' good, Bibby...

We have a Simplec Whirlwind here at the factory, those jump saws really do cut fast!

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Dave Shepard

I find some new thing that Baker builds almost every week.  ;) When I first mentioned my sorting surge deck, Adam sent me a picture of one. Yeah, I didn't think it was a new idea. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Kevin .. Wish I had a way to make a video sometimes.  I want to buy a digital recorder but Mary keeps shooting the idea down.  I think it'd have to be something we could justify for the business so we can write it off our taxes before she'll agree!

The saw is fast and quiet.  Just a zippp is all you hear.  Mary jumps when the air compressor comes on, it's so quiet.  I think it's quiet because the motor, blade and moving parts are enclosed in the base.  The walls of the box looks to be 1/4" thick.  The top is heavy cast iron.  It weighs in at about 1,000 lbs.

They said we'd need a 3hp pump with at least a 12 gallon tank to run the air stuff.  But that's figuring 80 cuts a minute I guess.  We've just got a Sears 1.5hp oil free compressor.  It looks like it's going to keep up quite well although I don't know if it would be something you'd want to use for continuous duty every day.  The air system has a dryer and oil supply system and pressure gauge.  The stroke speed and return is adjustable.  We've not done anything with the adjustments as it seems to work just fine "out of the box".

We don't have it hooked up to our dust blower yet.  We're probably just going to get a 1hp cheap-o dust collector and use that.  It does not make much sawdust. 

I have made two mods already.  One was by necessity and the other is a design improvement. 

The necessity came when son Gabe was trying to wire in the motor.  They provide a little junction box with a little terminal block.  We went from a recommended size 8 wire to size 6 because of the distance.  The wire was too big to fit under the terminal screws and the box too little to train the wires.  As a result the little plastic terminal block broke.  I ran to town and got a bigger metal box and we just "hardwired" it instead of using a terminal block.

The design improvement was -  They had located the air dryer, regulator and oil dispenser with gauge inside the cabinet down at the very bottom.  That's also where the air hose connection is as well as a manual valve you're suppose to close when not in use to extend the life of the air system.  Well,  it's a miserable place to put it.  This old man don't do nothing below the level of the bottom of my pockets.  So I relocated the assembly outside the box near the back where it would be easy to get to and to monitor and maintain.

I'll snap a picture tomorrow and you'll see what I mean.
Sawing since '94

ADAMINMO

Bibbyman posted a shortcut link in the above post for the Baker chopsaw. I don't know how to shorten it so I will just put the whole link in here.
http://www.baker-online.com/Categories.aspx?Category=35b28599-da4d-41d5-a33f-535d692425cf

Ironwood

I didn't realize it was possible to buy things new, still in the BOX! Everything I get is old and rusty :D.
                              Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Bibbyman

Quote from: Ironwood on May 06, 2008, 10:52:52 AM
I didn't realize it was possible to buy things new, still in the BOX! Everything I get is old and rusty :D.
                              Ironwood

I don't know why you do that when you can write it off.  'Corse,  you got to use it to make money to pay for it.

I can already see where it's going to let us use up more of our scrap pieces.  We're sawing 3x4s by 8' today and any that won't make a good 8' we're pushing down to Mary and she's wacking it up into 1'-6" parts.  What's not good enough for that she's wacking into 40" blocking for us as we use a lot of it.  Anything else not good enough for blicking goes in the firewood box.   At least we can avoid double handling and moving, etc. as we had been doing - or just trowing it on the slab pile.
Sawing since '94

Ironwood

Bib,

you can still write off the rusty stuff, and you can buy more of the "rusty stuff".  ;D :D, and you need to have more $$ to buy the stuff with the shiny paint.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

StorminN

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 06, 2008, 01:20:58 PMI can already see where it's going to let us use up more of our scrap pieces.

Yep, that's how it starts... and if you were building stuff yourself with this wood, the next thing you know, you'd have one of these finger jointer cutters

and then one of these finger jointer ram machines

Before we had these two machines, anything that came off the jump saw that was under about 36" we used to throw in the firewood bin... now we finger join the small stuff and use pieces down to about 12"...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Bibbyman

I thought I was in trouble with the mod I made.  We'd talked it over but I didn't tell her I went out last evening and did it.  (Makes it go a lot better when she's not there to back seat drive me!)

Anyways,  I missed a Kodak moment this morning when Mary got out there ahead of me and was standing looking at what I'd done.   ::)

Later, when she started to fire it up,  it wouldn't work.  I couldn't figure out what I could have done to it just by moving the air stuff.  I came over and poked the buttons too but then I reset the emergency kill switch and it fired up.  All was happy. :)
Sawing since '94

ADAMINMO

I knew you have to modify the machine in some way or another(see reply # 3) .  :D  :D  :D
I'm sure it is more user friendly now though.

Bibbyman

The air regulator, dryer, oil injector, gauge, and shutoff valve and connection location was mounted inside and near the bottom of the unit.  It was difficult to connect, turn on and off or to check to see if oil was in the reservoir.   Note the hole is where the gauge stuck through and the three slots were to read the oil level.

I'm not much into standing on my head so I relocated the assembly to the right wall.  I think I'm going to add a piece of bar stock to protect it from whatever may be dropped on it.  But probably not until its too late...  :)
Sawing since '94

MikeH

Great job Bibby and Mary. Thanks for sharing!  8)

Bibbyman

Mary used it this morning to whack 400 survey stakes to length.  I asked her later if it was faster than using the Sears radial arm saw and she said, "Much."
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!