iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawmill coming!!

Started by Toolman, May 05, 2008, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toolman

Hi, I'm new to forum. Just sold my TK 1220 last month. Was a good mill. I bought it new in 2001 and cut 1000's Bf over the years. Decided to upgrade to hydraulics. Looked at a 2006 TK1600 in Maryland that an older gentleman wanted to sell due to health problems. I've only ever owned TK and was personally pleased with their service over the years. 1220 was a rugged little machine. I liked what the 1600 did and left there thinking I will purchase this when he's ready to sell, which was in about 3 wks. I also looked at other mills online and brochures. WM, Cooks, and Turner. I called Bill Turner in Oxford, NY. I live in York County, Pennsylvania. Mr. Turner invited me to his farm to look at his mills that he builds. A 3 hr drive north in early April was like January down here. Snow on the ground and ice on the ponds. Wild Turkey galore!!
Anyways, he showed me his hydraulic mill. I was impressed!!   Mill comes standard to handle 17 ft log. I had him build me one to handle 20 footer. A 5hp Honda runs the hydraulics. 24hp Honda runs cutter head. Hyd log lift, turner, carriage forward/back(variable speed), log stops, dog. Also 4 manual dogs(2 large, 2 small) in addition to hydraulic dog. Electric raise/lower carriage. He let me cut a large red oak log(approx. 28" dia) on a unit he had there. I was very impressed. As some of you know, his mill does'nt use coolant on blade. I questioned him intensely regarding this. I was surprised how well it cut w/out lube. He says the double roller guides and rubber tires are the reason. I told him that if I went with this mill I would probably install coolant tank for blades. I always had good success with Husqvarna bio-degradable bar oil with a drop or two per minute with my 1220. Bill stands by his design and says it will be unnecessary to do so, but it won't affect the performance by doing so. It was a darn nice mill for the money. Built very heavy duty with bunk rails every 2 ft. so that small logs could rest on it easilly. He is building it as a write this. I'm expecting it by 3rd week of this month. I have 60 18ft. poplar and 7 30" x 14 foot red oak on the pile ready to cut. Weathers been nice here and I'm getting the cutting fever!! If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how this no-lube concept works. I'm still suspicious though. Can he blame me? That's a big issue when sawing!! Anyhow, nice to be aboard the forum. Hope to keep learning from you guys.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Tom

I've heard of no-lube sawing, but still think there are too many variables when the blade reaches the wood for mill design to overcome.   It really boils down to a 60 mph band running through a log.  I think I would feel more comfortable with a lube too.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

HOGFARMER

I have seen the viedo of the Turner Hydraulic Mill in operation.  It was pretty impressive.  Good luck with your new mill, and keep us posted as to how it is working out.
Manual LT-30

MrMoo

I had a Turner. I ended up using lube on the blade otherwise there was a pitch buildup.

brdmkr

Toolman,

Welcome to the FF.  Be sure to keep us posted on the Turner mill.  I have a friend who is looking pretty hard at them, but there does not seem to be any in our parts for him to see operate.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

beenthere

Toolman
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to hearing about your new mill, and we like pics.... :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sgtmaconga

welcome from another 1220 owner.
Measure twice cut once

Dave Shepard

Welcome, and congratulations on the new mill!

I don't use lube very much myself. I think species is a huge part of it. I sawed almost 8mbf of cherry last month, and didn't have to lube at all. I am now in white pine, and have been running water with good results. On the previous mill, I used a few drops of straight diesel to clean the pitch, and never had a problem. I have been set straight regarding using flammable lubes, so now I will be using just a little water, we'll see how it goes.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Toolman

Dave,

I assume you are using a Turner Mill?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Dave Shepard

No, I am running three different Wood-Mizers. I should have said that. I don't know the difference between the Turner and WM systems. I think it has more to do with species than anything really. Some trees just like to get the band all sap and put up a fight. :D I resawed a few old timbers a year ago and a new band would be all pitch in about four feet. :o >:(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Toolman

Thanks for clarifying that Dave. I was just curious. Three mills, sounds like somebody stays busy.

take care

Dave Shepard

I run a 2008 WM Super Wireless as my full time job, and an LT40 gas and an LT40 electric on the weekends sometimes.

Dave

Toolman

I had been doing work for others on my 1220 for past 7 yrs., obviously with manual mill, this was a killer some days. Bumped up to hydraulic. I advertised, now have 9 bigger jobs lined up. Some from previous customers, 3 are new. A magnetic sign on side of pickup got me 2 within a week of putting that on my side doors. Paid those signs off quick! We have alot of nice tall poplars around here and 16 footers are a common request. I'll be able to handle them now. Wish me luck on my expanded venture!!

Tom Sawyer

I had good success with the magnetic signs too, until this winter when the sand from the road started getting under the magnet.  All it takes is one corner of the sign with a bit of air space under it and at 100km/h the wind gets under and bye-bye sign.  I lost both of mine this winter.  Got a phone call this spring from someone who found one of them when they were picking up garbage along the road!  I am replacing them with more permanent lettering on my truck.

And, just so that I am not completely hijacking this thread  ::), Congrats on the new mill and make sure to take lots of pics when it comes 8)

Tom

thecfarm

Easy street is coming your way.Will be alot easier now.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Toolman

Received phone call from Bill Turner yesterday. He said my mill will be ready by end of week. Since I my first posting, I called Bill and had him extend mill to handle 20 foot log. I will be picking it up early next week. I have'nt felt like  this since I was a kid on Christmas morning! I've gone 10 weeks without running a mill. I'm now convinced that this sawmilling thing is in my blood. I'll send pics and report on this no lube claim. I'll probably be askin how to post pics, I'm new at this. I have 7 jobs lined up already, 2 are over 2,000 bf jobs. I had 2 customers cancel, they don't want to spend $$ due to fuel cost killing them. This fuel thing is a darn shame.

John_Haylow

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new mill, looking forward to seeing your pictures.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

bandmiller2

Welcome toolman,I'am a part time sawyer on a woody LT70 we don't use any lube on the band,never have,no problems.All I can say is try it boath ways.I do think lubes can be a crutch and help underpowered mills,and an occasional nasty log.A tight well adjusted mill with a well set sharp band is what carries the mail.Toolman what do you do to sharpen your bands and set?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dan_Shade

I was at a training class this past week, and the folks from WM said that their testing showed massive dropps in current when running the LT300s with a blade lube.

lube does a few things, it keeps the band cool, it keeps the pitch buildup down, and it helps the band slide through the cut, all of these things help out in a cut.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Toolman

What do you mean by drops in current? ???

ronwood

toolman,

I think what Dan is saying that the amount of current that the motor is less with lube verses no lube. Less friction on the blade translates to less energy(fewer amps) that the motor has to expend to pull the blade through the wood.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Dan_Shade

yep, ronwood got it right.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Toolman

I got it. 

Thanks.

That would make sense. I am going to install a lube system on the mill and experiment. I can't believe a no lube would keep pitch off while cutting spruce or hickory. If it does I'll brag about it!! :D I'll then put on my dark shades and do this 8)

Toolman

Picked up my new Turner Hydraulic mill on Memorial Day weekend. I love it. Concerning the "no lube" concept, here is what I experienced. I cut 700bf of bitternut hickory and did get some residue on blade. I did install a lube system and ran a little bit of soybean oil and was able to cut some of residue. I changed blades once(Lennox Woodmaster C 7/8 .042) due to a series of nails I encountered. The second blade had a small trace of residue, not much. I removed residue with soft brush wheel on bench grinder.
This past Tuesday I cut 500 bf Blue Spruce that had been downed about 3 months ago. I used no lube and 1 blade and had no residue. Blade was in good shape when done. No excessive heat on blade either. Today I cut 735bf of red oak. It was in mid 90's- hot/humid (miserable) I used no lube, have no residue was found on blade. Blade was super clean. I could'nt believe it :o . I used only 1 blade, which is still on mill. I have about 400 bf yet to cut. I am finishing job tomorrow.

My overall experience was impressive to say the least. I have pictures of mill in my computer photo album. Still trying to figure out how to post em.

zopi

Quote from: Toolman on May 20, 2008, 02:16:32 PM
What do you mean by drops in current? ???
300 is electric...less current = less $$$ for power as well as less wear on the moving parts.

My little LT-15 is ALOT happier running with lube..I don't have mathematical data, but empirical data (read= common sense) tells me that smaller temp cycles in blade use will
extend blade life by not changing the temper of the steel as much..fewer stress risers, fewer
cracks and fewer broken blades..

I do need to add a needle valve to regulate the flow a little more precisely..so I can just slap the ball valve and keep moving..

My 0.02$
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!