iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lie inelsen planes

Started by thedeeredude, May 04, 2008, 10:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Does anyone have any lie nielsen planes.  I really want one just need a good excuse. ;D

Ironwood

No excuse needed if you really want one. They are nice, my friend is a dealer, I don't actually own one myself.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

low_48

I bought a low angle jack plane a couple of years ago. Give it a swipe or two on a 3000 grit water stone, and cut shavings right out of the box. It's a beautiful thing!!!!!! :o  If you consider your time worth anything, tuning other planes that come as junk will work out to be about the same money. The Lie Nielsen's use really good steel in the blade and thicker steel as well. Really the only other one to consider worth buying today, is the Lee Valley. Of course we are talking new planes.

Dodgy Loner

I've had my eye on their low angle smoother.  Need to get my shop ready to move into before I start buying tools to supply it, though :-[.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

I've had my eye on some Lie-Nielsen planes. I'll keep fettling the old ones for now. I am sure they are worth the money, very nice tools.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don_Papenburg

I have used LN planes before and they are nice . But I have a lot of Baileys but I would by LN if I needed another one.   I have a GreatNeck no 5 pattern that I thought was junk ,then I spent some time sharpening and truing it, surprise it can be used as a real tool now .  I do use it a lot .  so do not pass a deal on an off brand if you are short cash.  I gave less than $5 for the GN plane on a sale.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dodgy Loner

My first plane was a post-WWII No.3 without so much as a brand name on it.  No matter how hard much I fiddled with the mechanisms or how sharp I got the iron, I couldn't make it work properly.  So I bought a shiny new Groz No.4 smoother.  Same results, which was even more frustrating.  Finally, a friend of mine gave me an old pre-war No.5 Craftsman jack plane, and it's been used on every woodworking project since.  It required a lot of work to get it in usable condition, but now it's a great plane.  After that, I bought a LV low-angle block plane, and it was like a revelation.  Worked great right out of the box, all I had to do was hone the iron.  My next purchase was a Stanley Sweetheart No.4, which put my perfectly good jack plane to shame after an evening of tuning up.

Based on my experience, new top-quality planes are worth every penny.  New bargain-brand planes and any vintage plane made after WWII is pure junk.  I don't know how to date vintage planes accurately, but here's my rule of thumb: if it doesn't have real rosewood totes, save yourself the frustration.  Totes made of painted/stained beech or even plastic (shudder) indicate that cust-cutting measures have been taken in the manufacturing process, which WILL affect the plane's performance.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Don_Papenburg

Dogy , That is why I thought that the Great Neck plane would be a pile of junk. I had some other GN tools er toys  you could not call them tools or use them for the designed purpose.  Maybe my plane was a reject from their assembly line ,someone screwed up and made a good batch of useable planes.

Dodgy Loner

The reason cheap planes are poor purchases is their inconsistencies - ie, the sole may not be flat, the iron may not be properly tempered, the cap iron may not fit tightly over the iron, the frog may not mate properly with the sole, the iron may not mate properly with the frog, the lever cap and/or adjustment mechanism may be poorly designed and/or poorly constructed...  There are so many things that can go wrong with a plane that precise manufacturing is a key.  As the saying goes, though, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.  When a manufacturing process is highly variable, probability dictates that every now and then everything will just happen to work out right.  Sounds like you lucked into one of those planes where everything accidentally worked out right ;).  I haven't been as fortunate, so I've found that purchasing quality planes is the more reliable option.

MSU_Keith

The plane collecting bug caught me a few years ago.  I have several pre and post war Stanleys both bench and block planes along with a some wooden body planes.  I inherited a bunch of Lie Nelson planes from my father who was into them from the beginning.

The LN bench planes are nice but a good condition, well tuned Stanley (or Baileys, Millers Falls) can be just as nice.  One thing about an older plane is you learn a lot from tuning it up.  Where the Lie Nelsons really shine is the specialty planes that aren't readily available (or cheap) as a used model.  The shoulder planes, scraper planes and the edge plane are all great tools.

My new interest is Japanese planes.  Recently bought an old plane and learned to tune it.  Its a completely different feel and produces an amazingly thin shaving and smooth surface.  I bought a relatively cheap one but these things can get incredibly expensive for a simple chunk of metal wedged into an old block of oak.  Well worth trying one out though.

Dodgy Loner

I agree about the old planes - as frustrating as it was to learn to tune them properly (especially when I was starting out with junk), I learned a lot more about plane mechanics than if I had started out on the top.

Don_Papenburg

Dodgy , the best thing about it is I did not want it but it came with a bunch of other stuff I did want . I had plans of tossing it in the junk .  The only thing that saved it was it had a nice polish and I hated to throw out shinny tools.

Radar67

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on May 15, 2008, 10:23:45 AM
I agree about the old planes - as frustrating as it was to learn to tune them properly

Now you have to start a thread to explain the procedures for tuning an old plane. I have a couple of old Bailey No 5s I need to clean up and put back in service.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

thedeeredude

Go out and buy a book called Hand Tool Essentials from the editors of Popular Woodworking.  Good info on tuning old planes and using old planes.

Dan_Shade

what's a good sized plane for starting into the handtool world?  I look at the planes, and there are many types and sizes, what's the best "all around" model?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

What are you trying to do? Each one has a special purpose. I would say a #3 or #4 is going to be the most commonly found plane at tag sales. #6, #7 and #8 are good for jointing long boards. A #9 1/2 or #60, both block planes, are good for touching up small details. For timber framing I have a #60, which is the low angle block, for end grain. A #3 for cleaning up tenons, as well as a #10 carriage makers plane for cleaning up to the shoulders. It's a nice, rare, and valuable plane, but a $10 wooden rabbet works just as well. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

I think the best plane to start out with is the No. 5 jack plane (ie, jack of all trades).  It's longer than a smoothing plane, but shorter than a jointer.  It can handle both tasks well, though.  A block plane is also an essential tool.  I went for more than a year with just those two planes.  Be careful, though - it's a very slippery slope ;D.

Radar - next time I pick up an old plane, I'll take pics of the restoration process and post them here.  None of my current planes are in need of restoration ;).

Radar67

Thanks DL, will be looking forward to it. I've been doing a little research on the net and found a few interesting pages about it.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Raphael

I got the 10ΒΌ about half way into timber framing my house, well worth every penny.
I've also got their scrub plane.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!