iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 28 work out with pic's

Started by blaze83, May 03, 2008, 02:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaze83

Friend of the family had a large shagbark hickory blow down last fall, wanted to know if my dad and I wanted it for anything. He wanted to clean it up and the guys that he has come over to cut firewood on his property didn't have a saw large enough to cut it. well, we wanted it but didn't have time to run over to his place with the mill untill last week, so we finally made it. couple of things I learned from the experience.

1) shagbark hickory is HARD and HEAVY
2) the next mill will have HYDROLICS
3) the manual log loader and log turner worked surprisingly well, so thumbs up to the woodmizer people for the design smiley_clapping

the biggest log was 8'6" and 27" in diameter inside the bark, it had some rot in the heart, but when we were done we ended up with around 400 bf of 4/4 and 5/4 boards, the upper section of the tree was pretty rotten so we sawed it into firewood for the barbeque pit.

first 2 pics are the log up on the mill

last pic is of one of the nicer boards, 5/4 X 19" X 8'6"

I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

thecfarm

Nice way to spend time with Dad.My Dad never got to see my mill.He would of had a ball with it.Have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

802Vermont Outdoorsman

Love the LT-28 and the Lt-15 my family just got an LT-40 hydraulic but I am hoping to get to use bothe the 15 and the 28 before I get to old for the manual mills

Magicman

Hello 802VermontOutdoorsman and Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scully

Further prof that ya don't need all the bells etc on a mill to saw some great lumber ! I can't wait to get into a log that big ! Great mill !
I bleed orange  .

clww

Great post and pictures, blaze! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

MEMountainMan

Nice, I look forward to sawing my first hickory. I've got lots of hand tools that need new handles....
LT15 30 feet cap., John Deere 850 tractor with a loader bucket and backhoe, John Deere 1010 dozer. some husky saws, a 5ft Logrite cant hook, a 3ft mill special, and a 30" hookaroon. A shop full of tools and 108 acres of trees to make things out of.  Done building homes for others now it's my turn

Thank You Sponsors!