iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What critters are these?

Started by Riles, May 02, 2008, 06:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riles

The recent topic on voles made me wonder what's going on in my fields.

It's low ground, not bottomland, but the wettest on the farm and that's where all the holes are. Normally when I see mudball vents around a hole, I think crawfish, but these babies would be huge. Also, not all the holes have the piles. Lots of variability in hole diameter.

No tracks, no obvious pathways, and the explosion in numbers has been fairly recent. They only appear in the wetter ground, but will appear in the middle of the gravel driveway. No mole humps.

I've set mouse traps to see what I might catch. Any guesses?

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

Riles

Texas Ranger

Drop a few drops of gasoline in a hole and see what comes up.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Slabs

I've heard em' called Crawfish Castles.  And I've seen them ten inches tall.  As they get taller the "dad" will bring up muddy balls to make them hold togather.  It'll be interesting to watch them "grow".

The holes without castles may be where they tunneled up from below.

Watch and enjoy.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Don P

I dunno but It looks like it oughta be good on a bed of rice  :)

okie

Put you a hunk of pork fat in a minnow trap right outside the hole and you may be surprised, a small crawdad can make a big hole, course so can a big crawdad. Srtip the tail off and fry it in garlic and butter YUM. If you like it go get you a sein and your set for crawdad tail dinners all summer long.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

timberfaller390

sounds like its time for a low country boil
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

sgtmaconga

PARTY AT RILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing
Measure twice cut once

timberfaller390

I'll bring the cook pot,corn ad pepper yall bring the taters and beer
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Riles

Just for the record, my wife is cajun, I got married in New Orleans, and we had a crawfish boil the day after the wedding. I know what to do with a mudbug. Come to think of it, my anniversary is coming up.  8)

timberfaller390

congradulations I'll bring my fiddle and play jolie blonde and big mamu
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Norm

We also get those from the bullfrogs that burrow out from hibernation. Umm umm frog legs. ;D

Greg Cook

Looks like Jeff is gonna have to move this one to the Food Board!   ;D

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

Thank You Sponsors!