iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strawberries are back...

Started by ScottAR, May 02, 2008, 01:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottAR

Strawberries are in season again!  I picked up some berries grown in MS
according to the label.  A splash of lemon juice and a dab of sugar and ya got
a southern delight.   8)  Probably my favorite springtime food. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

LeeB

Lindy bough t two pallets of them the other day and was making preserves. I went down to the shop for just a few minutes to close up. They were still soupy when I went out, had a spoon standing in them when I came back up. She had been cooking them slowly all day and got impatient. They sure were smelling good when I left. scorched when I came back. >:( >:(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

Had some fresh local ones tonight. They were good but don't have full flavour yet. Gonna have to keep sampling. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

The best strawberrys I've ever eaten in my life was when I was about 8 or 10.  Granddad sent me, Charlie, my two cousins and my Grandmom to Boone N.C. for the summer.  He did that often, sent us somewhere. He would rent an apartment and off we'd go for a couple of months.

We were staying in a garage apartment about a block off of the main highway and a block next door to the Daniel Boone Hotel.  In the front yard, were these real little red things.  We picked them, not knowing what they were, and took them to Grandmom, who told us that they were wild strawberries and she put them on our cereal.  I never had, nor have ever since, tasted such a strong strawberry flavor form such a little berry.  Once we learned what they were, we could be found on our hands and knees, Grazing in the grass, during the day.   There was also a Cherry tree behind the Garage apt. that was loaded with big black cherries.  What a summer that turned out to be. 8) ;D :)

beenthere

Very similar experience with tiny strawberries, and super taste. Was in the Boundary waters, Northern MN (I was 13 at the time on a two week canoe trip), and the strawberries were about the size of a single pea. Packed a whole lotta taste tho. Back in the summer of '52 :)

Then when growing up, Mom always kept a large bowl of strawberries in the refrig, stemmed and ready to eat. Pour some real cream onto a bowl of them, with a bit of sugar, and it didn't get much better'n that.  8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

My great grandmother, even in her eighties would get down on her hands and knees amongst the clouds of black flies and pick those tiny darn things all day. It would take about that long to pick a couple quarts and far less time to consume them.  :-\

My mom did it to and dad would take a great big cereal bowl and mash them so the juice was flowing and flood them with cream to dull the taste of the berries for whatever reason. Personally, I want the berries, not a bowl of cream.  :D :D

Dad has a few strawberries ripening in the garden now to. He uses floating fabric to bring them along earlier.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Wild strawberries are so sweet, a real treat. Once we crossed a power line right of way that was loaded with them. We stopped and stuffed a big handful in our mouths... and spit them right back out. They had been sprayed. >:(

beenthere

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 22, 2008, 01:00:00 AM
Wild strawberries are so sweet, a real treat. Once we crossed a power line right of way that was loaded with them. We stopped and stuffed a big handful in our mouths... and spit them right back out. They had been sprayed. >:(

Sprayed?  ..by what, a mountain lion?  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

On the farm I grew up on we had a small patch of wild strawberries. We never knew they were edible until one of us tried one and wow were they good. It was a very small patch so just a taste was all there was too it.

We tore out our strawberry patch last year and had none for this June. The heavy rains really hurt the commercial growers I heard.

sawguy21

Quote from: beenthere on June 22, 2008, 01:32:00 AM
Quote from: sawguy21 on June 22, 2008, 01:00:00 AM

Sprayed?  ..by what, a mountain lion?  ;D ;D
Roundup. Power line and pipeline rights of way are sprayed by helicopter to control the brush and facilitate inspection and maintenance.

SwampDonkey

There must be different sub species of wild ones. There were at one time a handful of wild ones growing along the concrete wall of the barn before I whacked them with the weed whacker. Anyway, the berries on those were as big as the width of your index finger. Most of the wild ones out on the lawn are no bigger than a pea and most a bit smaller.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

They just open the PYO today.One place always pick here and there a few days before they open up to the public and sells them at thier stand.We still have some in the freezer from last year.The wife will be going to the fields to pick some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

If you run across this variety, I strongly recommend it:

FORT LARAMIE

Everbearer

Introduced by the USDA Agriculture Research Service at Cheyenne, WY. Developed primarily for the north country. Everbearing and one of the sweetest tasting ever grown. Extremely hardy, heavy bearing with excellent vigor and abundant runner production. All season everbearing strawberry. Berries are large and bright scarlet red in color, have firm flesh, plenty of juice and a delightful sweet flavor. Self pollinating.

These berries are a dark burgundy color and not as large as most, but they make the best preserves!  I made 10 pints of perserves and only used 2 cups of sugar in the entire batch.  I didn't have pectin so I just boiled them down until syrupy and processed the jars in a water bath canner. 
Say when

SwampDonkey

Dad has ever bearing, I don't know the variety. He has had some over 2-1/4" in diameter. He keeps score of his biggest one ever grown.  ;D He has been picking for 2 weeks now. I just finished up on 2 big mixing bowls fulls.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!