iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring Turkeys 2008

Started by ARKANSAWYER, April 30, 2008, 07:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

I was looking to see if any one else had done well turkey huning this spring.  I saw where Ron had the callers on the late show.
  Well I got loose Sunday for a few hours and headed to the woods.  Got set up and made a call and started reading a book.  He gobbled and I dropped the book.  He would not come in and had at least a 12 inch beard.  There was a hen in the field with him so he just left with her.  I was about to start reading again and I saw a Jake tribe comming up the hill.  Made a few calls and got them comming my way.  Took a two year old bird from the tribe as he was biggest.  7 inch beard, 3/4 spirs and about 15 lbs.  Time in stand was about 30 min.

I have been taking my wife turkey hunting for over 10 years and she has never gotten a bird.  So today she was off and came up to get in my stand to shot a turkey.  I went down half hour later as I did not hear any calling.  She was in the stand crocheting and not even looking.  I made some calls for her and told her that she had to keep a sharp eye out.  The decoy she put out blew over in the wind and was really to close to the stand.  So I made some more calls and was fixing to leave and go back to work and set her decoy up better when I saw a turkey comming up the field.  It was a single small Jake and came in 40 yards.  Since her decoy was down on the ground he just stood there looking around.  I told her to take the shot and get her first bird out of the way.  So she did since the season closes Friday.  Jake with 3 inch beard and nubs, but her First Turkey!

So has any one else been out there calling?  Need some of Bibbys mushrooms to go with them.
ARKANSAWYER

ADAMINMO

I have been out several times but no luck yet. Still got a week left here , ends on May 11. I have missed on due to too much brush and called in another bird on open day and had sun directly in my eyes with gobbler within 30 yards but could not see him cause of sun.  Excuses ..... Excuses . I will get one soon.

Those are 2 good lookin birds , Make a couple good meals too!!

Ron Scott

After a slow 3 days of turkey hunting ; I had some action this morning at 6:45 am. A decent bird with 5 inch beard. Now I can catch up on my sleep. ;)

~Ron

semologger

Sleep is my only prob. I dont want to get up that early. I went out one mornin I heard em everywhere but someone else was hunting there. I knew that the first one i went to he would of been there hunting. Not takin that chance. I talked to my friend that owns the property and he kicked the guy off. I dont need to be so lazy and go. I am workin an hour away and the farm is 30 min the other way.

Glad yall having good luck.

Tom

I've just been watching them through my computer room window.   That is a ditch on the side of the yard that forms an edge between me and a large field of young trees on the other side.   It makes a good "edge" for all kinds of animals.  I sit here and watch my menagerie.  :)

Furby

I've seen soooo many Turkeys this Spring it is unreal! :o
I could have easily had a dozen of them total, with the truck.
Seen several with some real long beards.
Had one fly low the other day and almost get taken out by the van in front of me. :-\

thecfarm

I see 3-4 almost every day around 7pm in the lower end of my field.Stepson was going to come over,but have not seen him yet.They don't mind the tractor or a car,but if you're on foot,they are on the fly.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

I see a lot of them all the time also until I start hunting them. They seem to know when I'm in the woods with the gun. ;) Calling the toms within shooting range is the challenge.
~Ron

ADAMINMO

The easy way out for calling them in is go electronic if it  is legal in your area. It is not a legal practice here as well as baiting or using corn feeders. I have a blast every time I go turkey hunting wether I kill one or not. I always remember going out with my Grandpa before he died. We always had a good time . I think he could call a gobbler out of a flock of hens as good as he called. He used the mouth call more than any other call. Seems like yesterday we were out in the woods callin one up . I always think of the times he and I went out hunting together any time I am out hunting. I always tell stories of those times to my son when we go. My son is 6 and never got to go hunting with my grandpa but I will pass on the things my Grandpa taught me about hunting.

Tom

These young birds are back today.  I'll bet I could draw a flock if I were to strew some  corn.  A few months ago, we counted 20, but Gael had been putting out corn.  I think they must be eating the mole crickets and grasshoppers out of the "lawn".

pigman

This past winter I fed some shelled corn to my cows to make up for my shortage of hay. I continued to feed some almost up till turkey season. I don't hunt myself, but the two hunters that hunt my farm got their limit, two each, in only two mornings. They said they had never seen so many turkeys before and asked if I was going to feed corn next year. :D  I told them I would if they bought the corn. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!