iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burn restrictions in your area?

Started by bigtreesinwa, April 29, 2008, 08:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtreesinwa

Do any of you have burning restrictions in your area?

The clean air authority in our area (King, Snohomish, Pierce counties in Washington, near Seattle) tried very hard last spring to ban all outdoor burning except for campfires. They got a lot of pushback but are trying again.

So I'm wondering what is it like elsewhere. What burning restrictions do you have and where are you located?

thecfarm

This is for brush,slab pile fire.I can only burn when the fire dept will let me.I need to get a permit from 3 guys on the dept.I can tell when I can get one or not,due to wind and how dry it is.Yesterday I could not of got one.Was real dry here for this time of year.Been raining hard here.Now the dirt road is flooded over.Looks more like spring here now.
Let me add more to the restrictions.When there is no snow on the ground or when they tell me,I can not burn until 5 at night.On weekends I can burn anytime.We only have a volunteer fire dept here.They are all working through the week.That's the only time limit we have.When there is snow on the ground I can burn anytime.They feel the fire can't go travel through the grass bushes.I've had a few fires that went into the night and still burning alittle the next day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

Township open burning of yard debris only, and only on Saturday morning only from 8am -12 noon. No wisdom here, it can be calm and rainy on Saturday morn or 60 MPH wind and dry and it's still legal.  :o. You can still smolder a NASTY wet pile of leaves all morning long, no problem.  :(.
Like I said no wisdom here

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Warbird

I usually have a burn permit anyway, so this doesn't effect me.  They usually have burn bans in place when it's been very dry, tho and they won't activate the permit during those times.

Tom

As a tree farmer, I have an open burn "permit" but still need to get "permission".  A call is all it takes and a yes depends on the weather.  All fires have to be out by sundown unless you are a "Licensed Burner".

The problem comes when the neighbors call the city fire department and the fire department, who take second fiddle to the Forestry division, come screaming out here with their sirens and fire engines and spraying water without asking questions.  When all is over they write you a $50 or better ticket and leave or say, "well it's a good thing you had Forestry permission".  :D   

'Course your fire is out by then.  We have too many city people moving out here.  I wish they would go away and leave me alone.

Warbird

Tom, that's why I call the fire department, too!  They are very appreciative.

zopi

i live way out in the sticks, and i'm trying to fight the vegetation to a standstill after this place has had
20 years of....ummmm....maintenance...yeah...that's it....anyway, i'm constantly burning stuff...i'm gonna
be an honorary amazon farmer soon...

unless it is really dry, we've got a 4pm limit...gotta burn after 4 b/c the volunteer guys are available..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fat olde elf

Permit always required here. We are still in extreme drought conditions, but getting better. I was ticketed by the US Forest Service last year for "Letting fire escape". No fine as fire was contained on my propery.  You cannot burn scraps from sawmilling unless caught....(?)
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Handy Andy

We have all this permit bs, and have to call in for permission to burn, even in winter with snow on the ground.  A couple years ago we had a good snow, maybe 6 or 8", and I tried all day to get some tree piles to burn, succeeded with one, and that night I get a call from the sheriff's office to go put out my fire.  One had smouldered all day and finally took off that night.  We were having a real problem with grass fires lately, and then they arrested a kid who had just joined the fire dept a few weeks before.  Guess he liked putting the fires out, and wanted a little more action.  Burned off a cow pasture of mine partly.  Wish they had let it burn the rest, looks like it killed a lot of small cedars.  Would burn it myself but all the ground around it is grass, and I'm afraid I couldn't stop it .  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ron Wenrich

What type of burning are you talking about?  We can burn trash at almost anytime, except when its been banned due to dry conditions.  A lot of people have burning barrels, me included.  Right now we can't burn due to conditions.  After everything leafs out, then they'll lift the bans until it gets real dry again. 

Leaf or refuse burning doesn't require any types of permits that I know of.  You just aren't supposed to be burning tires.   ;)

If I was doing some sort of controlled burn, I think I would check with authorities more as a courtesy than as a requirement. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WildDog

We have a fair enough system down here there is a set period through summer when a permit is required unless in extreme conditions then we can't even drive certain vehicles in the paddocks. A permit is just a call to the local volunteer captain and then notify all neighbours and the permanent fire department giving at least 24hrs notice, you must have fire supresent equipment on hand and the burn needs to be carried out within 3 weeks. Outside of mandatory permit season all notification is still required. Most of our areas have their own volunteer brigades with fire trucks and shed and opperatives and we help each other out or at least borrow the fire truck. The fire can burn for weeks but when you leave it it must be blacked out. I try to take leave from work and camp with the fires, hardwood stumps can burn for days.

We burn't approx 3000 cubic yards of windrowed hardwood last year and hope to do the same this year weather permitting, I have heard rumours that legislation may be passed to cease burning of fallen timber as it is a harbour for native animals.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

bigtreesinwa

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on April 30, 2008, 05:54:53 AM
What type of burning are you talking about?  We can burn trash at almost anytime, except when its been banned due to dry conditions.  A lot of people have burning barrels, me included.  Right now we can't burn due to conditions.  After everything leafs out, then they'll lift the bans until it gets real dry again. 

Leaf or refuse burning doesn't require any types of permits that I know of.  You just aren't supposed to be burning tires.   ;)

If I was doing some sort of controlled burn, I think I would check with authorities more as a courtesy than as a requirement. 

The kind of burning that I normally do is the burning of fallen branches and other organic matter of trees. I like to go the forest, clean up all the stuff the trees drop each year, pile it into burn piles, and make it go away.

Burning trash has been illegal for quite a while out here.

The liberal government is trying to make the buring I described above illegal. No permits will be issued. The only thing they want to allow is ceremonial fires for native americans, and to be fair, campfires for everyone else.

Greg

Ironwood

The laws are very lax here, someday that will end. I am very conscientious about the smoke and such, i use a monster rosebud to get the fires HOT and burning CLEAN in a hurry. I had pushed out my woods 3 years ago w/ Frickman's skidder, and I finally burned the last pile of "yard debris" two weeks ago. That fire was still hot two weeks later under the dirt that was at the bottom (guess I was making charcol and didn't know it) ::)

Ironwood.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

little Bark

I live in the only township in Lancaster Co. PA that still has open burning.  I burn all my trash and drop take the recycles at the local drop off point.  I can burn aytime during the dyalight hours and no burning on Sundays.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

SamB

We have fire season March 1st to May 31st and October 1st to December 31st. Outside burning in fire season is allowed between 4:30pm and 7:00am. No trash burning allowed, camp fires are excluded. Unless the rules have changed since I last read them .

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Tom on April 29, 2008, 10:25:55 PM
As a tree farmer, I have an open burn "permit" but still need to get "permission".  A call is all it takes and a yes depends on the weather.  All fires have to be out by sundown unless you are a "Licensed Burner".

The problem comes when the neighbors call the city fire department and the fire department, who take second fiddle to the Forestry division, come screaming out here with their sirens and fire engines and spraying water without asking questions.  When all is over they write you a $50 or better ticket and leave or say, "well it's a good thing you had Forestry permission".  :D   

'Course your fire is out by then.  We have too many city people moving out here.  I wish they would go away and leave me alone.

Amen, and pass the plate!!

Out in the county, we don't have to have permits or other such things.  I try not to do very much outside burning, and only after a good rain. 

Unfortunately, some of these knotheads moving into the area ought not to have matches and scare the whistle out of my britches with some of their burning 'techniques'.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

mike_van

Here in Ct., if the pop. of the town is under 5000, you can still burn. We get a permit from the town hall, good for 30 days. The day you want to burn, you call the fire marshall that AM, get a recording, but it tells you if you can or can't [depending on how dry it is]  Last 2 weeks, NO WAY - We finally got 2 days of rain though.  The permit is just for brush, no building demo etc.  One of mine got called in once [weekenders]  I was properly permitted though, so no problemo  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

stonebroke

In NYS farmers are allowed to burn brush. You are supposed to call it in first. About 30 years ago I burned the brush off about 1/2 mile of hedgerow I had dug out. All green . beautiful day not a cloud in the sky. The pile was about twice the size of a house. No wind the smoke went up about 10 miles in the sky. Had over two hundred fireman show up. looked like a convention of firefighters. The pile was in the middle of a 120 acre hay field. After everybody calmed  down they all left never did put any water on it . They agreed it was a excellent place to burn. Had fireman from 15 miles away come. Now I burn on the foggiest days I can.
Zero visibilty is the best. Don't want to annoy the fire department.

Stonebroke

beenthere

Our permit plan is so the firemen know ahead of time where the smoke will be coming from. Then they don't get called out by panicky neighbors, but can stay home in case there is a real emergency. Would be bad if someone's house was going up in flames while they were caught miles away at a "false" alarm, so to speak.  :)

I don't mind the permit requirement....as it helps keep the un-knowing from setting a fire (I did that once...yah, beenthere!) and it getting out of hand.

We can burn about anytime, if'n one wants to take the risk and pay the damages if the fire gets out of hand.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

Maybe someone can burn all the line out of my post? Don't  know where that came from..........aliens?

beenthere

Quote from: mike_van on April 30, 2008, 03:54:58 PM
Here in Ct., if the pop. of the town is under 5000, you can still burn. We get a permit from the town hall, good for 30 days. The day(s)  you want to burn, you call the fire marshall that AM, get a recording, but it tells you if you can or can't (depending on how dry it is).  Last 2 weeks, NO WAY - We finally got 2 days of rain though.  The permit is just for brush, no building demo etc.  One of mine got called in once weekenders  I was properly permitted though, so no problemo  8)

QuoteMaybe someone can burn all the line out of my post? Don't  know where that came from..........aliens?

I removed the square brackets from your first post, and think that is what is causing your line-out. If you go back to your post and go to "modify", then you will see them and can change the square brackets to the curved ones, and should fix it.  Using the "preview" button to look at your post before posting will also allow you to fix it up...just a thought.  :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

Lookin' better now -  8)   Back to burning, one thing they tell you here is you can not burn if it's raining or completely overcast -  I guess the smoke doesn't go away as well.

StorminN

bigtrees,

It's funny this should come up now. I'm in Clallam County, WA... a couple of hours west of you. I just went to the local fire station and got my burn permit for this year.

Burning is prohibited at all times in what they define as the "urban growth area" which is basically our downtown and surrounding area.

There's a burn ban every year from July 1st to October 1st (later if it's a dry September). During this time no outdoor burning is allowed, except for "recreational fires", which they define as "cooking fires, campfires, and bonfires three feet or less in diameter using charcoal or seasoned firewood that are in designated areas or on private property for cooking, pleasure, or ceremonial purposes. Recreational fires shall not be any larger than three feet in diameter or two feet high."

They also have a list of rules:
1. From April 1st to June 30th, your fire can be 4'x4'x3'
2. From October to March 31st, your fire can be 10'x10'x5'
3. Burning is not allowed if the wind is over 5 mph.
4. The burn piles must be a minimum of 50 feet from any structure.
5. The burn pile must not be within 50 feet of standing timber, and be a minimum of 500 feet from any forest slash.
6. No residential fire can commence before 6am, and no material can be added to it after 6pm.
7. A responsible person shall remain with the fire until the fire is extinguished.
8. Only one residential fire is allowed to be burned at any one time.
9. A shovel and connected water hose shall be on site and immediately available.
10. If the fire creates a nuisance from smoke or flying ash it must be extinguished.
11. No fires shall be ignited during burn bans.
12. If an outdoor container is used for burning, it must be constructed of concrete or masonry with a completely enclosed combustion chamber and equipped with a permanently attached spark arrester constructed of iron, heavy wire mesh or other noncombustable material with openings not larger than one half inch.
13. Metal burn barrels are not permitted.

Only NATURAL VEGETATION may be burned.

It shall be unlawful for any person to cause or allow any outdoor fire:
1. That contains any of the following:
a. Household garbage or trash (including paper and cardboard)
b. Dead animals
c. Asphalt
d. Petroleum products
e. Paints
f. Rubber products
g. Plastics
h. Treated wood
i. Construction/demolition debris
j. Metal
k. Any other substance, which normally emits dense smoke or noxious odors when burned.

Happiness... is a sharp saw.

srt

Need a permit here in S. Jersey.  Can't burn trash anymore either.  On our farm in MD, can burn trash, but if want to burn piles of brush etc, are supposed to pull a permit. 

Hey Norm - I just saw your address.  Do they still have the best seafood and the ONLY Cole Slaw I ever liked down at the 3 Crabs?????    Memories........

Thank You Sponsors!