My Porch Coon

Started by Tom, May 31, 2003, 07:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote"but you doesn't hafta call me JOHNSON!"

There's a good write-up on Wikipedia.

I hadn't thought of that in years.  :D :D

TexasTimbers

I checked out the wiki article, I didn't know his real name until now. You probably know it, but it's Bill Saluga and here's his website. Play the video and go back in time a hop skip and a jump. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tom

This is about as memorable as "parts is parts".  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTzLVIc-O5E

beenthere

Like the "Where's the Beef?"   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 12, 2007, 04:17:47 PM
My barn ground pig showed up today when I returned to the shop to cut some board ends. He's a fat, well fed bugger. Wish I had a ground pig hunting dog. Flash, was deadly on them.  ;D You guys eat ground pigs? They are vegetarian. Can't be any worse than hare.  ;D

SD, my dad used to spend a lot of his time taking care of those for the farmers, back when he was a gun dealer up until 1992. We didn't see a groundhog around our area until just a few years ago.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

okie

Coons we bottle fed and raised. To say these 2 were onery is a gross understatement.

"Shrek and Fiona"

Sorry, got kinda picture happy, I'm new to the whole picture posting thing.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Tom

:D   That's great, Okie.  Little coons can be an entertaining animal.  Tell us the whole story.

okie

I hope not to offend any with this story.
I was squirrel hunting with my dad and my cur dog in june probably 3 years back. My dog was young and treed on a old hollow tree with the top tore off it. When We got to the tree there was a coon sittin on top of the broke off snag and I guess us being down there and a dog raising cain was more'n she could bear and jumped right on top of my dog. after that was over my dog went back to barking treed, I just thought he was young and eager but up in top of the tree there were several babies lookin down at him. Dad went and got a soft sided ice chest from the truck, I climbed up and got the 5 coons out. Gave 3 away and were stuck with these 2. I used to go coon hunting alot, aint been coon hunting since we got those coons....I have been banned by the missus. Bottle feedin them babies and the way they acted reminded her of a real baby a little too much I guess.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

beenthere

QuoteTo say these 2 were onery is a gross understatement.

And they won't get less ornery as they grow older either... ;D ;D
I recall the days of raisin baby coons, and the challenges, prior to when they finally had to be done away with.
But coon pelts are up this year...about $25 I hear.  :)

Good story. No offense here.  :)

Be careful of the serious roundworm eggs that are carried in the scat from the racoon.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2107&aid=721
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I assume they got their house training, because coons are a lot worst for defecating anywhere than any house cat. When they got in my barn they seemed to come in to do their business, rather than outside in the mud.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

okie

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 27, 2008, 02:15:41 PM
I assume they got their house training, because coons are a lot worst for defecating anywhere than any house cat. When they got in my barn they seemed to come in to do their business, rather than outside in the mud.  ::)

I made up a crate out of tubing and expanded metal for them to stay in at night and when we were gone to town or anything, had wood chips in there for bedding and they seemed to make their own bathroom in the corner of it. The doors stayed open when we were home and they would go in their little corner kinda like a cat and a litter box.

Mooseherder

We kept a baby coon one night cause the momma got hit by a car.  My wife was working at the Pet Store and someone dropped it off.  We had to bottle feed it and it also kept us up most of the night.  The only time it stayed quiet is if I had my hand on it.  So there it slept on a towel with me on my bed with my hand on it. :D  We found a lady who specializes with these critters and dropped it off the next day.   I didn't want another sleepless night cause they is nocturnal ya know. :D

pigman

Mooseherder, I wonder why the little coon cound not turn around? ??? ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Mooseherder

Quote from: pigman on October 27, 2008, 09:36:40 PM
Mooseherder, I wonder why the little coon cound not turn around? ??? ;)

His eyes weren't even open yet.

pigman

That makes sense.  I suppose when it gets it's eyes open it will be yesturnal.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!