iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Attention BIG Truck people

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 29, 2008, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

I'm needing information.
Trying to buy a HEAVY DUTY Mack Truck, for serious logging.
Found one, but it has NO Jake Brake. Is it possible to add one, and, what are they actually ???  All I know is, there is an electric solenoid that operates a butterfly in the exhaust pipe ???
Is there much more to this to make a Jake Brake ??? Maybe buy the parts from another truck, and install them on this truck ???

Think one log, 24-30 feet long, is sometimes, more than needed to make a load.  :o :o

These logs are much heavier than most logs in the USA.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Got this from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_brake
compression release engine brake uses an extra lobe on the camshaft to open a second exhaust valve at the top of the compression stroke. The stem of this valve telescopes during normal operation so the valve remains closed, but is locked at full length by a solenoid when the engine brake is engaged so that the valve opens as directed by the cam. This releases the compressed air in the cylinder preventing it from returning its energy back to the piston and accordingly, the vehicle speed is reduced.

Fla._Deadheader

OK. Guess I need to contact the Mack people, and see if that is a standard option on the older engines, or, ordered  seperately.  Thanks Tom.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

You might try Eggimann's Harold. Its toll free and Steve encourages members to use them as an information resource.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Not toll free from here. Takes an International Toll free access number, to access a toll free number.  ::) ::) ::)  Maybe he has such a number ??? I'll axe im  ::) ??? ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Got money for the truck, but none for the phone call.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

What engine does the Mack have, FDH?

Some engines may use extra lobes and exhaust valves, but I don't think that is SOP for Jake Brakes, I could be wrong.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

It's the standard 300 HP engine, as far as I know.

SD, FIRST, you have to have access to a phone service that will give you access to the International number, that will allow you to dial the Business number. It's pretty difficult to grasp how things work from down here.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like it could be an add-on installation.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

Harrold , for all its worth I would seriously look into the electro magnetic brake system that is put after the trany on the drive line , I do beleive Alison had something to do with it , I also beleive its called a Brake saver ...
The Jack brake , ya gonna be taking the motor apart to install.  ;)

We had a few trucks equipted with this ( when I was hauling full lenght) no noise like the Jack brake , very eficient as a slow me down  ;) Of course these where installed in a new truck (Western Star ) As far as I could tell ya , they where as good if not better then the Jake Brake system .
 That is my opinion only ................  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Ahhhhhh, More options. Thanks, Marcel. Don't know if a Tico could drive a quiet truck. They LOVE to blast those Jake Brakes, even when up-shifting.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

:D :D :D
  Might be able to make a few friends if the truck dont wake um up as often ....  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

timberfaller390

Threr is a differance in a jake brake and an exhaust brake. the jake brake has already been described but the exhaust brake hasn't it works off of back pressure  with a butterfly valve where the tailpipe attatches to the manifold. They can be retrofitted to a truck that doesn't have an engine brake but really aren't worth the trouble
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

StorminN

Deadheader, do you have a fast internet connection down there? My Dad lives in southern Mexico (Chiapas), he has high-speed internet and finds it much easier to use iChat or make a phone call on Skype than it is to make a conventional international phone call...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Fla._Deadheader

No, no high speed here. Only the Tico drivers are high speed. I looked into the Skype, but, no go on dial-up.  CR is pretty well monopolized for Utilities.  ::) ::) ::) >:( >:(

We have had DSL equipment, in storage, sitting in the little town, just below us, for probably 4 years now. ICE says they have noone to install it ???  ::) >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

chaikwa

Just a bit of info for you... Mack makes, (or at least used to), their own version of a Jake Brake and calls it the Dynatard. Works the same as a Jake.

chaikwa.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Tom on April 29, 2008, 12:58:40 PM
http://www.jakebrake.com/

http://www.jakebrake.com/technology/engine.php

Ask Jake!   :D

Jacobs automotive should have the answers .  It's their brake.

They are only the manufacturers, Clessie and Lyle Cummins are the inventors. They offered to sell the patent to the Engine Company, as they always did with their patents, but were turned down. W.G. Irwin, Clessies long time financial backer, had a nephew marry into the Jacobs family, they had the manufacturing capacity, and began making the Jake Brake, first available in '61, I believe.

Exhaust brakes aren't all that effective on large trucks but work well on little truck. The variable geometry turbo brakes work even better.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Dave Shepard

Sorry, didn't mean for it to come across that way. Just wanted to add a little Cummins trivia. :)

Dave

Gary_C

Engine brakes, Jake brakes or exhaust brakes are very effective, if not essential on large trucks that have to travel in hill or mountain country. They will retard engine speed when going down hill without overheating your brakes. On long downgrades you can easily overheat your brakes with out some kind of retarder and loose control of your vehicle. It does not work to simply shift to a lower gear before starting down, because without a retarder, you will over rev your engine.

For the most part they are not necessary on mostly level ground as todays air brakes are good enough to stop your truck without help from the retarder.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DouginUtah

It's not that often that I can say I agree completely with Gary_C so I'll take this rare opportunity :D to say that  I do agree with his discussion of Jake brakes. I consider them essential when driving Utah to the west coast.

Coming off Donner eastbound I once inadvertently got the temperature gauge into the red zone because of the kinetic* energy the Jake brake was handling.

Highly effective.

* Is that the right word?
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Fla._Deadheader

All good input, so far. Is there ANY way to tell if an engine has the internal parts for the engine brake ???  hard to believe someone just buys a Cab&chassis, then sticks a flatbed on it and HOPES he never needs more stopping power ???

The engine in this truck, could be the E-6, EM6, or EM7. 6's would have either 2 valves per cylinder or 4 valves per cylinder. Not exactly sure yet, which engine it does have. 

It's a cement block delivery truck ??? Has 50,000 pound dual rears and 20,000 pound front axle.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Woodchuck53

Morning guys as always I learn something every time I sign on and read. Be sure to check the local laws in your community. My older brother drove part time on his off hitch and found out the cost of noise restrictions for trucks. Just a thought. Safe driving CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Gary_C

I can't remember for sure, but I think I was told once that adding an engine brake would be more expensive than a new engine because you would have to buy so many new parts including the entire head and engine controls.

I just do not think it is cost effective to add one to a truck that was made without it.

But you do what you want, as I know you will anyway.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!